free website stats program Memphis Shades Rio Grande question | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Memphis Shades Rio Grande question

I always think of heated grips when I can't feel my fingers... kind of too late then.
We have a 2013 Ultra on the wish list,,, that will end up being my two-up and bad weathe bike. Heated everything if I have any say in it LOL!!!

I want to follow up with a another question on this thread. Having never ridden with or owned a windshield in my life, I was(am) totally green on experience with them. Prior to my investigations I did not even know what windshield buffeting was, much less what caused it. In any case I have learned from you guys and reading on the net.

While I sat on my bike, my wife helped me measure parallel to the fork angle with a tape while I sighted to the ground 50ft away. The measurement was 20" above the headlite to where I could just barely see over the end of the tape at 50ft.

Everyone I talked with including the shield companies themselves told me this was the best way to get a shield that did not create buffeting AND would still allow you to see over top of it in case of bugs or rain.

However many of the shields I've been looking at (Memphis Shades, National Cycle etc ) do not sell a 20" high shield to fit my Dyna. It's either 19" or 21". However one very nice shield sold by Rifle company, sells one for Dynas and will custom make mine 20" for $35 more.

My question(s) is(are),
If I get a 19" do you think I will have undesired buffeting?
OR
If I get a 21" do you think I might have trouble seeing over it in rain or bug residue?
OR
Is it really that critical that I get one EXACTLY 20" since that is my measurement.

I want to follow up with a another question on this thread. Having never ridden with or owned a windshield in my life, I was(am) totally green on experience with them. Prior to my investigations I did not even know what windshield buffeting was, much less what caused it. In any case I have learned from you guys and reading on the net.

While I sat on my bike, my wife helped me measure parallel to the fork angle with a tape while I sighted to the ground 50ft away. The measurement was 20" above the headlite to where I could just barely see over the end of the tape at 50ft.

Everyone I talked with including the shield companies themselves told me this was the best way to get a shield that did not create buffeting AND would still allow you to see over top of it in case of bugs or rain.

However many of the shields I've been looking at (Memphis Shades, National Cycle etc ) do not sell a 20" high shield to fit my Dyna. It's either 19" or 21". However one very nice shield sold by Rifle company, sells one for Dynas and will custom make mine 20" for $35 more.

My question(s) is(are),
OR
If I get a 21" do you think I might have trouble seeing over it in rain or bug residue?
OR
Is it really that critical that I get one EXACTLY 20" since that is my measurement.

If you could get a 19" or even a little shorter with the recurve feature at the top, it effectively gives you the protection of a taller shield without getting into your line of sight.

Many people ride with a tall shield that they look through but you've got to be immaculate about keeping it clean and it can also scare you if it fogs up or rain starts accumulating and affects your visibility.

Dave - I on the other hand would go 21". To each his own, I just prefer the look of the original equipment like on a Heritage or a Road King. That is what the National Cycle Heavy Duty will be. The extra inch won't make much difference in view. An inch less may give you wind that just catches the the helmet...

In my opinion, having riden both with and without, you will find the windshield AWESOME since you have never riden with one.

But your call bro! Enjoy either way!

I would recommend the 21" also. It will cut down more on buffeting and if need be you'll still be able to look over it. JMO

My question(s) is(are),
OR
OR

RWB,

Get the 21" and try it first. You can trim it down if needed. You can't stretch a windshield when it's too short.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really needed this input to help my inexperienced viewpoints make an intelligent decision. I realize there are variables to this equation and it will ultimately be my decision yah or nay, but without this input I would have been more in the -guessing- category than the deciding one.

I only have 1 more question, what is the best way to cut a windshield ? Is there some sort of electric heat knife for this or does one just mask off the shield with several layers of masking tape and cut it with a sabra saw? (and the sand and buff the edge ?)

Back