free website stats program Memphis Shades Rio Grande question | Harley Davidson Forums

Memphis Shades Rio Grande question

R_W_B

I love riding my Bob below 60mph without a shield, but recent trips of sustained speeds above that have made me want to get at least a smaller shield. I have done quite a bit of research and found my most liked choice in the Memphis Shades Rio Grande Sportshield solar (clear)

From viewing pics it appears the Memphis Shades Quick Change Sportshield Hardware Kit looks good and would be convenient, but I'm wondering also how the Memphis Shades Sportshield Trigger Mount Kit mounts and what advantages it has ?
Appreciate any info from you guys that have these shields

Additionally I am 6'2", do you think I will still catch much wind over the top?
Or to put it another way, how much improvement will I notice over not having a shield at all?

Well I got some excellent input from another forum and made me realize there is more to this shield thing than I first envisioned. Many of you may have held back from answering becuase of the wide spectrum of facets to this.

This is where I am at currently.

JaronB replied - I'm 6' and have the standard HD detachable windshield. I had a lot of buffeting mainly with my half shell, not so much with my full face. Then I tilted the windshield forward and that got rid of about 60% of the buffeting.

blacknsilver replied - I am 6'2" and I have the HD standard detachable also. After tilting forward it eliminated the buffeting. Still get air from underneath bu am going to get some lowers to solve it.

whiskyls1 replied - The shorter the windshield, the more tinkering you're going to have to do to get it to do what you want it to do:). A taller windshield will solve all of it.-
-----
I replied -
Thanks for the excellent info. So it would appear forward (rather than backward) is the best results of all facets. Did you have to mod a hook to go forward or do some of today's shield have adjustable mounts?

And just so I understand all this correctly, the buffeting from the windshield on you helmet or whatever, is this any worse than just riding without any shield?

You will find dozens of different answers to the wind shield question. Most who have tried usually end up with at least two or three different shields. I won't tell you how many I have, let's just say I kept the UPS and FedX guys busy for a while. The last shield I purchased was a Clearview Recurve and I won't be looking for another type. The recurve allows you to have a slightly lower shield and carries the wind up and over better than a stock or aftermarket stright shield. Take a look at Clearview they may have the answer to you problem. They also fit stock Harley hardware.

You will find dozens of different answers to the wind shield question. Most who have tried usually end up with at least two or three different shields. I won't tell you how many I have, let's just say I kept the UPS and FedX guys busy for a while.

Thanks Don, I will check that out, although I hate to think of buying 3 windshields. If my hours don't improve I'm gonna have to apply as a Walmart Greeter.

Maybe if I'm lucky I could give the kiddies rides around the parking lot on my knitted Bob. Kinda reminds me of some Jerky boy's tapes from yrs ago.

I see you guys came up with some pretty good stuff on Glider. Some very talented wit there. You think they can dig up any more, or who is next ?

Dave.. I just purchased a shield from freedom shields and I love it. I am only 5' 10" so I got the 8" in a dark tint. I could tell right away the difference the wind would flow around the shield and up over my head. It even allowed me to hear the radio just a bit better. I ride an electra classic so it is different with the faring but I am very happy with the shield and the price was not bad at all.

Dave.. I just purchased a shield from freedom shields and I love it. ... ... ... ... with the faring but I am very happy with the shield and the price was not bad at all.

Thanks guy, I looked at the link you gave me. I don't have batwings though. I think my biggest problem is that after yrs of not riding I let my youthful memories guide me into buying a Street Bob instead of something more like what you or Don ride. I'm getting a bit into the age bracket where the Bob beats me up a bit at 70mph for extended periods. When I was younger didn't seem to notice that stuff much LOL . numba 10 GI (Bet you ain't heard that one in awhile)

I'll will gather all this helpful info and work it out though, like I do on everything. Hope you do make it down to Melbourne. That's a beautiful Beach. My wife has relatives over in TitusVille (near there). But that's a good 2hrs (with good traffic) from me.

Thanks guy, I looked at the link you gave me. I don't have batwings though. I think my biggest problem is that after yrs of not riding I let my youthful memories guide me into buying a Street Bob instead of something more like what you or Don ride. I'm getting a bit into the age bracket where the Bob beats me up a bit at 70mph for extended periods. When I was younger didn't seem to notice that stuff much LOL . numba 10 GI (Bet you ain't heard that one in awhile)

I'll will gather all this helpful info and work it out though, like I do on everything. Hope you do make it down to Melbourne. That's a beautiful Beach. My wife has relatives over in TitusVille (near there). But that's a good 2hrs (with good traffic) from me.

numba 10 GI Dave I laughed out loud...thank you good luck on the shield.

The link for clearview is .. .. ... ... I found that the clearview pricing was about the same or a little lower than Harley.

Thanks Don, actually I have already been viewing one there for my bike at
Clearview Shields - for the best ride you'll ever see

I'm gonna shoot them an email. Also starting to get some emails from other venders I sent previously. Never really wanted to put a shield on my bob when I got it, but these hour and half (one way) rides for the Patriot Guard are making me think different. I have to use ear plugs too or when I get there I'm so deft I can't hear much.

Besides a shield will make all my trips more comfortable. By the way does Glider still have hair ?

Take it from someone that suffers from loss of hearing due to cumulative damage, don't think that a shield will cure the problem. There are several post and threads here that deal with some very good advise on ear plugs and sound atinuators.

Back