free website stats program Memphis Shades Rio Grande question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Memphis Shades Rio Grande question

Take it from someone that suffers from loss of hearing due to cumulative damage, don't think that a shield will cure the problem. There are several post and threads here that deal with some very good advise on ear plugs and sound atinuators.

The plugs definitely do help me, the other day coming back from the flat fix I forgot to put them in and when I got home the entire evening I could hardly hear the TV. I would think that the shield would help block some of the air flow to my ears though, albeit I'm sure I will still have to wear the plugs.

I guess working with C-4 and Dynamite in the Army and then being around heavy equipment much of my life in construction has taken it's toll on me. I will ask the Vets about an upgrade to my current Hearing Aid though.

Oh by the way did you know that older people have Aids more than younger people ?

The have more RolAids, more BandAids and more hearing Aids.

Dave - I'm not a winshield guru, but I used to have a Sporty and for long trips wanted a shield. I ended up getting a National Cycle heavy duty with a permanent mount. (Quick is definately quicker, but just a 4 fasteners will get the permenent one off if you want) Before the latest mods to my Heritage, I never took off the windshield away from home anyway...

Its a "to each his own" thing on how tall to go. I prefer when you are sitting on the bike looking over the windshield that the spot on the ground in front of you, that is in line with the top of the windshield, is about 40-50 feet out. (I hope that makes sense).

Not trying to sell you on National Cycle. I just had good luck with them; the product looks like original HD equipment; and it was durable and well made at a very reasonable price.

nationalcycle.com

I found it helpful to browse the styles and then call them when I found what I wanted. If you do the make/model thing on their web site it may not show all of the styles that fit your bike...

Good luck!

By the way, if the weather cooperate tomorrow will be Mad Dog Jim's first PGR mission...

Dave - I'm not a winshield guru, but I used to have a Sporty and for long trips wanted a shield. I ended up getting a National Cycle heavy duty with a permanent mount. ... .. .. .. ...

By the way, if the weather cooperate tomorrow will be Mad Dog Jim's first PGR mission...

That's great Mad Dog. (am I loosing my mind or did you used to be Bull Dog ?)

Anyhow I'm glad you are joining us on the Guard missions. You can still drive your cage even in bad weather. The funerals are more somber but you will also get some of the welcome home missions also. It's a way we can make our stand against the Wacho embarrassing mental patterns that walk among us. Later guy.......Dave

Yes Dave, I am the artist formerly known as Bull Dog, now the new and improved Mad Dog... Long story short, I recently opened a gmail account and had to come up with a user name. My usual was taken so I had to change it up a bit. Plus there are always a ton of "Bull Dogs" around and it gets confusing. So I changed my name here so its all the same everywhere.

... .. .. ... ....
I prefer when you are sitting on the bike looking over the windshield that the spot on the ground in front of you, that is in line with the top of the windshield, is about 40-50 feet out. (I hope that makes sense).
... . ... . .... ...

Hey Mad Dog, I've been so busy lately I never really got a chance to pick your knowledge on the shield thing yet. I wanted to ask you, when you can see over the shield like that, did you notice any wind buffeting on your helmet (or head) above 50 mph ? I hear a lot of guys talk about this.

And if you did feel the buffeting is it as bad as no shield at all ? Or different in what way? Please excuse my ignorance but I've never ridden with a shield, ever.

No problems at all. What I would do is put a coke can or something 50' in front of your bike. Sit on the bike natural like you're riding. Then have the ol lady hold a tape measure with the dumb end on top of you head light and angled back slighly like the wind shield will be. The number that lines up with the can is the height of the wind shield you will like.

You'll never be wind free, but that one size will be a vast improvement. What some bikes will generate depending on set-up is a wind that blows up from the tank area. If you have a long goatee it makes your goatee stick out straight... That can get annoying, but part of the deal I guess.

Good luck

No problems at all. What I would do is put a coke can or something 50' in front of your bike. Sit on the bike natural like you're riding. Then have the ol lady hold a tape measure with the dumb end on top of you head light and angled back slighly like the wind shield will be. The number that lines up with the can is the height of the wind shield you will like.

You'll never be wind free, but that one size will be a vast improvement. What some bikes will generate depending on set-up is a wind that blows up from the tank area. If you have a long goatee it makes your goatee stick out straight... That can get annoying, but part of the deal I guess.

Good luck

Thanks I am starting to get more of the concept of what is going down here. I have one more question, Do you wear a helmet riding with your windshield ?

Reason I ask is some guys say this windshield underwind blows up in their face shield and yanks their 3/4 helmet around like a Lyle Alzado used to do a face mask on the football field.

Not to push my brand but have you had a chance to look at the clearview?

I can't help it, it took me 3 different shields before I found one that works. Now I'm trying to help members to not make the same mistake I did.

Back