free website stats program Memphis Shades Rio Grande question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Memphis Shades Rio Grande question

It's a personal type of thing that depends on riding style and the height of the rider to make it work well. I think the re curve works well.

Not to push my brand but have you had a chance to look at the clearview?

Yes I have and I am waiting on email back from them. Actually I am looking at (and collecting data on several).

Haven't been on much tonight, we are watching the movie ' The Edge ' with Anthony Hopkins. Third time I've seen this movie in 10yrs and I love it everytime. Gotta get back, later.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I am starting to get more of the concept of what is going down here. I have one more question, Do you wear a helmet riding with your windshield ?

Reason I ask is some guys say this windshield underwind blows up in their face shield and yanks their 3/4 helmet around like a Lyle Alzado used to do a face mask on the football field.

Dave,
The front end of the XL1200C is similar to you Bob, at least as far as wind dynamics goes. I had a National Cycle on mine and with or without helmet I hade great comfort. I wear contacts, so I have to wear snug goggles to keep the wind out. With the windshield I need nothing on the eyes, or just plain ol sunglasses. No head yank!

Dave,
The front end of the XL1200C is similar to you Bob, at least as far as wind dynamics goes. I had a National Cycle on mine and with or without helmet I hade great comfort. I wear contacts, so I have to wear snug goggles to keep the wind out. With the windshield I need nothing on the eyes, or just plain ol sunglasses. No head yank!

That sounds good, when I looked at National Cycle the only ones listed to fit my Bob were all handlebar mounted shields, is that what yours was ?

I was kinda leaning towards a fork mounted set this time, what with all the data I've been collecting. Mainly because it appears they start lower down than the bar mounted ones. Although awhile back I was thinking of a bar mounted smaller shield when I was more naive to shield logistics

Mine was fork tube mounted. Loved it! Like I said earlier, you may need to call NC and ask to speak to someone with techincal knowlege. The one I bought was not listed on the web site, but found it by phone. I beleive it was a universal fit Heavy Duty. When I got it the instructions said it would fit an HD or a metric with x sized tubes... That was 3 years ago, so memory fades. I wanna say I paid about $150 shipping and tax included. What I liked is it was rock solid, made of lexan (good stuff) and the chrome styling was exactly like a shield on a Heritage or Road King. Very nice! Good luck

Mine was fork tube mounted. Loved it! Like I said earlier, you may need to call NC and ask to speak to someone with techincal knowlege. The one I bought was not listed on the web site, but found it by phone. ... ... ....

Thanks will do tomorrow. Looking forward to more comfortable long distance riding.

I just glanced at the site again - I guess they are a little more than that now. If you get an idea of how tall you need, then call them I think you'll be satisfied. Basically you pick the shield you want and the hardware is seperate and specific to your bike. It's a good set up for the money. But lots of options out there for ya. have fun

By the way - first mission yesterday. Ex-Navy Korean War Vet - Wife came around and shook all of our hands and thanked us. Was a really good experience! The ride there is another story. It snowed here the night before, and was 25 deg when I left. I had to take a couple finger thawing breaks, but was worth it!

Someone sent me a video that I'll post on a seperate thread. Very powerful!!! PGR rocks!

By the way - first mission yesterday. Ex-Navy Korean War Vet - Wife came around and shook all of our hands and thanked us. Was a really good experience! The ride there is another story. It snowed here the night before, and was 25 deg when I left. I had to take a couple finger thawing breaks, but was worth it!
Someone sent me a video that I'll post on a seperate thread. Very powerful!!! PGR rocks!

Dude you are dedicated, hope you had on long johns. I do not think I could ride in 25 degs without long johns and several windbreaker layers and heavy gloves.

Would love to see the video. They had a big (long) Welcome home ride up in Orlando (yesterday) that I had to miss for various reasons, but my wife's cousin went and said there was a big turn out of not just the PGR but others as well. So there were plenty there to show honor for him (even though he was blind from rocket explosions).

Thanks again to you (and Don) for all the info. I've just got to gather it all together and do some measurements and make a decision.

Ya I bundle up for that stuff. My only issue is cold fingers. I need some better severe weather gloves. Rest of the bod is nice and toasty...

Jim have you thought about heated grips? I have several pair of gauntlet winter gloves, but after riding a buddies RK with HD heated grips I think I will have them installed before the next winter season.

Back