free website stats program Love Bugs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Love Bugs

Tastes like chicken!

Bodeen

Bodeen the love bugs in your area must be a different breed. Up here they have a taste that you would never mistake for chicken. Oh yea another bad thing about love bugs they swarm like mayflies. Did I mention that even the big Ravens won't eat them, and they eat road kill.

Was wondering when a thread on this would start. For those of you who have never seen a love bug you are definitely better off for it.

I just about refuse to ride a motorcycle in them when they are bad. I will ride thru them for a PGR ride but that is the only reason. All of the above said reasons (they stink, they will destroy good paint etc).

Above 60mph they have a bit of a sting to them especially after the 100th one hits you on both arms, your neck etc. You have to CAREFULLY knock them off your face shield or they smear and after a couple of miles through a solid swarm you will start to loose clear sight. Also after awhile your hands will start to feel WET from the smashed goo.

It takes forever to clean your bike and get them out of the headlite cracks, the engine fins, the regulator fins, the mirrors, the cables and handlebar wiring covers, just about everywhere. And on a PGR ride they dry on your vest in the hot sun and turn into a hardened glue like material. Even Pledge has a hard time cleaning them off once they dry. Don't ever leave your helmet vents open while riding in them. I made that mistake only once. I hate them.

Before the early 70's we never had them. I've heard all kinds of stories as to where they came from. Never was sure which ones were true. This is what they look like. The call them Love Bugs becuase ....well they are stuck together all the time like this.

Be so glad when my windshield gets here this week hopefully.

async

Was wondering when a thread on this would start. For those of you who have never seen a love bug you are definitely better off for it.

I just about refuse to ride a motorcycle in them when they are bad. I will ride thru them for a PGR ride but that is the only reason. All of the above said reasons (they stink, they will destroy good paint etc).

Above 60mph they have a bit of a sting to them especially after the 100th one hits you on both arms, your neck etc. You have to CAREFULLY knock them off your face shield or they smear and after a couple of miles through a solid swarm you will start to loose clear sight. Also after awhile your hands will start to feel WET from the smashed goo.

It takes forever to clean your bike and get them out of the headlite cracks, the engine fins, the regulator fins, the mirrors, the cables and handlebar wiring covers, just about everywhere. And on a PGR ride they dry on your vest in the hot sun and turn into a hardened glue like material. Even Pledge has a hard time cleaning them off once they dry. Don't ever leave your helmet vents open while riding in them. I made that mistake only once. I hate them.

Before the early 70's we never had them. I've heard all kinds of stories as to where they came from. Never was sure which ones were true. This is what they look like. The call them Love Bugs becuase ....well they are stuck together all the time like this.

Be so glad when my windshield gets here this week hopefully.

async

Yep those are the critters. Chicken my Aunt Nelly!!!:newsmile108::newsmile108:

Bodeen the love bugs in your area must be a different breed. Up here they have a taste that you would never mistake for chicken. Oh yea another bad thing about love bugs they swarm like mayflies. Did I mention that even the big Ravens won't eat them, and they eat road kill.

I'm not big on chicken. So to me they taste like chicken.

Bodeen

I remember one trip from Kissimmee (central FL) to Melbourne (E. coast) in my girlfriends Taurus, about 40 miles. The love bugs were so thick I had the wiper/washers on most of the way. When I got home, I started to wash the car, and was gagging and heaving the whole time. NASTY does not begin to describe them. Called Lovebugs because they always fly tail to tail. I have heard that they are attracted to carbon monoxide, hence the reason they congregate near highways. Birds and toads won't eat them.
I don't have to worry about them in GA.
florida-lovebugs.jpg

How far North do they come? What month's do they come out so I know when not to head south.

Back