free website stats program Looking at m,y 95 build. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at m,y 95 build.

Hey Dolt I'm have head heat issues on the hwy. In town the heads are at 280 or so on the hwy they go up to 345+. I just put the head heat gage on my PV. I had engine temp before .
Is this something that can be tuned out?
Last weekend before I knew about the heads temp issue I ran the bike 600 Miles without issue ran great np.
Should I be worried.
Thanks F.K.

Hey Dolt I'm have head heat issues on the hwy. In town the heads are at 280 or so on the hwy they go up to 345+. I just put the head heat gage on my PV. I had engine temp before . Is this something that can be tuned out? Last weekend before I knew about the heads temp issue I ran the bike 600 Miles without issue ran great np. Should I be worried.
Thanks F.K.

Short answer is I don't think you have anything to worry about. Head temp is not directly measured by the PV, TTS or TMax but is a complex model based on time, load and engine temp values. Typically, head heat measured by the fuel management system will run 15*-20* higher than actual. Get a quality IR temp gauge so you can measure head temps at various spots. Exhaust side will naturally be cooler than intake side and temps will be higher at the area around the spark plug. Consider that combustion chamber temps will run 450*-500* F.

Hey Dolt I called FuelMoto today and they told me the same thing. I should be going off of Engine temp which is mesuared by the temp sencor in the front head. The highest this has gone is around 230*F.
I feel a lot better now.

Short answer is I don't think you have anything to worry about. Head temp is not directly measured by the PV, TTS or TMax but is a complex model based on time, load and engine temp values. Typically, head heat measured by the fuel management system will run 15*-20* higher than actual. Get a quality IR temp gauge so you can measure head temps at various spots. Exhaust side will naturally be cooler than intake side and temps will be higher at the area around the spark plug. Consider that combustion chamber temps will run 450*-500* F.
I rode 100 miles last night 70*F weather , 80 miles/hr, the engine temp never went over 245, oil never went over 230
F.K.

I rode 100 miles last night 70*F weather , 80 miles/hr, the engine temp never went over 245, oil never went over 230.F.K.

If you don't have an oil cooler, you need one. 70* ambient and 230* oil temps are OK but 90* ambient will push oil temps up near 250* which is hot. Run a good synthetic and a good oil cooler to keep oil temps down around 220* regardless of how high ambient temp is.;).

If you don't have an oil cooler, you need one. 70* ambient and 230* oil temps are OK but 90* ambient will push oil temps up near 250* which is hot. Run a good synthetic and a good oil cooler to keep oil temps down around 220* regardless of how high ambient temp is.;).
Ok will do . Now looking for an oil cooler ,lol

F.K.

Back