free website stats program Looking at m,y 95 build. | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at m,y 95 build.

Fisherking

Hi all Just posting , what do you all think.
Im building my 95 this year.
I have got JPrecision to do the jugs and head work.
I am getting their stage 2B heads with comp releases and Static comp at 10.25:1 with a 0.030 HG,and comp releases.
The 2b has a raised 1.7 ported intake with 1.875 Intake and 1.575 I think exhaust.
I have a set of 37 cams I can put in . but I think the corrected compression at 9.5:1 will be to high for these cams . If I put in a 0.040 HG it will bring the corrected down to 9.3:1 and about 190 ccp
with the 0.030 HG it will be 9.5:1 corrected and about 194 ccp.
I was thinking next year putting in an Andews 54 or S&S 570. I think I will have to releaf the cam chest for those.
Is it worth it to go to the bigger cams to get everything out of the engine .
How will the 37s be with this configuration.? Will it ping , Will they be weak down low under 3000 RPM?

Thanks F.K.

Hey Fish I'm no motor head, but I commend you on taking this project on. What does the machine shop your using think of you idea of the cams you want to install later and would it be best to do it now while it is already apart?

Hey Fish I'm no motor head, but I commend you on taking this project on. What does the machine shop your using think of you idea of the cams you want to install later and would it be best to do it now while it is already apart?
I tryed getting hold of the shop on Friday but they were on lunch and no call back . I'll talk to them today and see what they think .
I did cam last year and have rebuild chevy 350s before, but this is my first top end harley build .

F.K.

F.K.,
Have to ask, why stop at 95" when for about the same cost 98" has become the standard for bigger bore 88" upgrades?

If you have a true 10.25 static, the heads have been severely decked or you have domed pistons. However, at 10.25 static, cam selection will be limited to cams that will keep CCP between 190-195psi and/or corrected CR between 9.3-9.4 which is very manageable for a dependable street build. The 37s will very likely ping at 9.5 with CCP at near 200psi. Endless menu of cams to choose from for this configuration, all of which are decent. However, since you are having heads done and can set valve springs up for higher lift, why go with the 37s and .510 lift? Why not another cam choice with lift closer to .600". S&S 570, Andrews 57, TMan 600SM are all good choices.

Cam should be selected first and heads set up to accommodate the cam selected. It really doesn't matter which cam you choose, all have similar profile but it is important that the head are set up for the cams. Regardless of the cams selected, keep CCP 190-195psi and corrected CR 9.3-9.4, get a good tune and all will be fine. I would add that compression releases would be a good idea for CCP of 190psi.;)

F.K.,
Have to ask, why stop at 95" when for about the same cost 98" has become the standard for bigger bore 88" upgrades?

If you have a true 10.25 static, the heads have been severely decked or you have domed pistons. However, at 10.25 static, cam selection will be limited to cams that will keep CCP between 190-195psi and/or corrected CR between 9.3-9.4 which is very manageable for a dependable street build. The 37s will very likely ping at 9.5 with CCP at near 200psi. Endless menu of cams to choose from for this configuration, all of which are decent. However, since you are having heads done and can set valve springs up for higher lift, why go with the 37s and .510 lift? Why not another cam choice with lift closer to .600". S&S 570, Andrews 57, TMan 600SM are all good choices.

Cam should be selected first and heads set up to accommodate the cam selected. It really doesn't matter which cam you choose, all have similar profile but it is important that the head are set up for the cams. Regardless of the cams selected, keep CCP 190-195psi and corrected CR 9.3-9.4, get a good tune and all will be fine. I would add that compression releases would be a good idea for CCP of 190psi.;)
Yes I had the manual comp releases intstalled the ccp is going to be around 195 . If I use a .040 cometic it will bring the corrected comp down to 9.3 . with the .030 HG corrected would be at 9.5. I talked to the shop that is doing the heads and he said .2 on corrected compression shouldn"t change much , but to stay on the safe side I will use the 0.040 HG.
now the intake is being raised 3/8 of an inch. So will this through the geometry of the air filter support plate fitting back onto the heads?
Is there an adapter for this if there will be interferance. or do you need to buy a new backing plate.
I'm looking at putting in the S&S 570 next year looks like a good cam and I'm running out of$$$.
The guy a JPrecision who works their dyno said with the heads the did for me and the 37 cams I should get 100 hp and 100++ lbs of tork.
My Indi said that the 98 could be problematic the 95 is a good safe. build
I'v been looking at the T-Man cams . I like that they offer a 39 intake close and a 41* intake close kinda inbetween what most cams offer.

F.K.

Yes I had the manual comp releases intstalled the ccp is going to be around 195 . If I use a .040 cometic it will bring the corrected comp down to 9.3 . with the .030 HG corrected would be at 9.5. I talked to the shop that is doing the heads and he said .2 on corrected compression shouldn"t change much , but to stay on the safe side I will use the 0.040 HG.
now the intake is being raised 3/8 of an inch. So will this through the geometry of the air filter support plate fitting back onto the heads?
Is there an adapter for this if there will be interferance. or do you need to buy a new backing plate.
I'm looking at putting in the S&S 570 next year looks like a good cam and I'm running out of$$$.
The guy a JPrecision who works their dyno said with the heads the did for me and the 37 cams I should get 100 hp and 100++ lbs of tork.
My Indi said that the 98 could be problematic the 95 is a good safe. build
I'v been looking at the T-Man cams . I like that they offer a 39 intake close and a 41* intake close kinda inbetween what most cams offer.

F.K.
Just checked Big boys cam calculator. I'm at 750 feet above sea leavel. With a 0.030 HG I will have 194.2 psi ccp and 9.5 corrected when using the 37 .I proble should erorr on the side of caution and go 0.40 HG.

F.K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your call on the .030" vs .040" head gasket. Did you include deck height in the BB calculator? Could be .003"-.005" and it will make a slight difference in CCP which when it comes to detonation is more a factor than corrected compression.

The intake port "floor" is being raised but will not affect the mounting of the intake unless the heads have been decked. When heads are decked .050"-.060", sometimes mounting the intake can be a fitment issue. Might fit properly until head temps hit 300* at which point the intake could leak. If head haven't been severely decked, intake fitment should not be an issue.

You should definitely see 100+TQ but 100HP is more of a challenge with the 37s; haven't seen a 95" yet make 100HP on the back of the 37 cam but anything is possible and it will all depend on the exhaust and tune. The 37 is solid cam and has been around forever but not used that much anymore as so many more cam choices have become available.

There is no issue with the 98" build; builders have been putting 98" and 107" packages together for several years no with no issues. 98" has almost replaced the 95" build; free HP/TQ, so why not?

Your call on the .030" vs .040" head gasket. Did you include deck height in the BB calculator? Could be .003"-.005" and it will make a slight difference in CCP which when it comes to detonation is more a factor than corrected compression.

The intake port "floor" is being raised but will not affect the mounting of the intake unless the heads have been decked. When heads are decked .050"-.060", sometimes mounting the intake can be a fitment issue. Might fit properly until head temps hit 300* at which point the intake could leak. If head haven't been severely decked, intake fitment should not be an issue.

You should definitely see 100+TQ but 100HP is more of a challenge with the 37s; haven't seen a 95" yet make 100HP on the back of the 37 cam but anything is possible and it will all depend on the exhaust and tune. The 37 is solid cam and has been around forever but not used that much anymore as so many more cam choices have become available.

There is no issue with the 98" build; builders have been putting 98" and 107" packages together for several years no with no issues. 98" has almost replaced the 95" build; free HP/TQ, so why not?
I put deck hight in at .004 on each cylinder.

F.K.

Dosen't goin to 98 thin out the spigot to much on some builds?

F.K.

Actualy they mill the intake up higher and change the geomet

JPrecision 2B heads.jpg

These are the 2B heads from JPrecision Notice the intake port and the geometry of the intake port studs.
I was wondering if the decking would compensate for the lift on the intake port .

F.K.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the 2B heads from JPrecision Notice the intake port and the geometry of the intake port studs.
I was wondering if the decking would compensate for the lift on the intake port .

F.K.
TC-Stage2-300x300.jpg This is there 2 head without raising the intake port

F.K.

Now I am really confused. You are showing photos of two completely different heads. The large photo appears to be a set of MVA , 110"+ heads or CVO ACR head; 98cc or 95cc chambers in OEM configuration. The heads in the attachment or TC bathtub heads, 85cc-86cc chambers in OEM configuration. Which heads are you installing?

I don't understand the "changed geometry" comment. The intake stud geometry has to stay the same otherwise any intake manifold or throttle body designed to fit to any HD cylinder head.

Back