free website stats program Let's hear about the FXR's here | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's hear about the FXR's here

Hi, i have a FXRS-C 1993, question is what is the small manifold that connects the front forks, it has a valve in the end of a small hose that looks like a tyre valve.
Is this standard and if so is there a certain pressure you run
Lurchy

That's the anti dive solenoid that closes when you apply the brakes to trap the air in the forks to prevent excess nose dive because of the extra air in the bars.
You should hear a faint click from the solenoid when applying the brake. It doesn't require a lot of pressure, usually less than 10-15 Lbs but check into it before you do any damage with too much pressure.
It's standard on the FXR line you have.

Thanks Glider,
but how does this solenoid valve work, does it isolate the front forks when brake is applied?, reason i ask is that the end of the hose that exits the bottom of the solenoid has a valve in it which stops whatever escaping , spose it goes with what you said about 10-15 lbs pressure in it, by the way, i have heard from Andrews as i asked about valve train noise running a EV27 cam, their reply was to check backlash on cam gears, oil pump etc as it transfers to the heads (so they say) and makes it seem like valve probs, i would really like to get it quiet, just to match all the other triumphs in repairs i have had Due to Help from all those (incuding you Glider) on this forum, thanks again
Lurchy

Thanks Glider,
but how does this solenoid valve work, does it isolate the front forks when brake is applied?, reason i ask is that the end of the hose that exits the bottom of the solenoid has a valve in it which stops whatever escaping , spose it goes with what you said about 10-15 lbs pressure in it, by the way, i have heard from Andrews as i asked about valve train noise running a EV27 cam, their reply was to check backlash on cam gears, oil pump etc as it transfers to the heads (so they say) and makes it seem like valve probs, i would really like to get it quiet, just to match all the other triumphs in repairs i have had Due to Help from all those (incuding you Glider) on this forum, thanks again
Lurchy

Yes. that's what the valve does. The bars for this setup are involved in the air reservoir too and that's the reason for the valve to isolate the air stored in the bar from the forks when the breaks are applied and the solenoid closes.
From the way you describe your system, it sounds as if the bars have been replaced with a different type without the air capability and you have just a hose with a valve in it attached to the manifold.

On the cam issue, when you replace a cam with an aftermarket cam, it's not uncommon to pick up valve train noise because of the ramp angle on the replacement cams being steeper than the stock cam.

Re: Antidive setup 1993 FXRS

Thanks Glider,
i need to know what is missing of my ride, al i can see when looking at the top of the Front Forks is a small tube connecting the two forks together, directly under this tube (In the Middle of it) is a electric solenoid, under the solenoid, a hose comes of and has a, (what looks like a tyre valve in the end of the hose with a worm drive clip to hold it in), i bought this baby second hand and have spent alot of time fixing bits and pieces, need to get it right.
Is it a problem that is risky, accident wise?,

Also a question for Richards,
Like your bike man, looking at your pictures, ( Is it the Clutch Basket in the pic of the Primary cover i can see in your pics of your 1993 FXRS-Con),

(i am hoping i have not done the wrong thing by asking questions to two different people in this forum)
Lurchy

Last edited:
Where you see that small hose with the tire valve in it should attach to a nipple on the handlebars if they were the stock bars and the filler valve would be concealed under the cap on the left hand grip if it were stock.
No problems with your setup, it just reduces the air quantity and will reduce the advantage of the larger quantity to soften the ride more.

Thanks Glider,
the bars are not the originals so that explains it al, i will have to find out what bars were standard with this model.
Lurchy

Just got my '92 FXRS motor back from Harley...had them do the "reman" on it. Rebuilding it from the frame up....second owner...my dad bought it brand new and we are keeping it in the family. You don't let a good bike like that go!!!

i have a 1993 fxrs,pre dyna, i have had it since 2000 it only has 16,000 miles the engine has been built to the hilt, this thing is so fast i cant believe it, it is so much fun also. It rides nice, very comfortable i can ride it forever. i just has the bottom casing, which was stock, replaced with an S & S, i am just breaking the motor back in again, oh man it is nice. thanks for the place to chat about our fxr bikes, by the way, that is so cool to hear you got 200,000 miles out of the bike,that is crazy, but you got to love the American Made bikes. Ride safe this year people, watch out for the butheads on 4 wheels or more:D

Last edited:
Hi,,,,New here, just got a 1993 FXR 3 months ago...I love it...it has progressive shocks and springs to lower 2", Mini aps, and have added a lot of chrome as well as a complete service....I would like to install a wide glide front end, Fat aps, and new seat... I will post a pic or two, when i figure the site out and know how to do it....Looking forward to the forum!.....W Bill

Back