free website stats program Let's hear about the FXR's here | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's hear about the FXR's here

I have an 86 FXRS that I bought new and have been riding all these years. At last count, I have just over 200,000 miles on it, 4 drive belts, 2 sets of brake rotors, 3 stators, and countless tires, batteries, and brake pads.

The motor was rebuilt, top and bottom, about 4 years ago, and a new oil pump was put in. It has never had a tranny problem, and other than a couple of clutch plates put in about 15 years ago, no clutch issues.

Wiring is getting a bit problematic, as some of the wires are brittle and occasionally break inside the insulation, which makes it hard to find where the problem is. I've done quite a bit of rewiring on an ad hoc basis.

A month ago, I retired the bike and bought an 03 RG. What a difference! Not so much in terms of better or worse, but just very different.

Not sure what to do with the FXRS.... I'd sell it, but the wife is "nostalgic" and thinks I should keep it. But the garage is very small and there's really no room for two bikes. Plus registration, insurance, etc. etc. We're still discussing it.

I gotta say, it's been a great bike. Been to Sturgis on it (from Los Angeles), as well as back and forth to work for 20 years. Rarely had a problem with it. But I'm really enjoying my "new" Geezer Glide!

My fxrs was pulled out of a barn about this time last year. It is a 1987 fxrs lowrider, it has 14,000 original miles on it. I was amazed how little it took to revive it. It took a new air filter, a carb rebuild, new plugs, wires, and a little work to the tank. I had it running (after a 10 year stay in that barn) in less than a week. Now I'm starting to work to get the 10 years of barn crud off from it. That seems to be more of a problem than the fixing of the mechanical problems. But we're just calling it a work in progress, I guess it doesn't have to be all done at one time. It seems to be finally starting to clean up.

Well, it's not an FXR but an FXE... 1983 to be exact. I am replacing the alternator and voltage regulator. The plug between the two was corroded and I was getting tired of kicking it. So I bought a 32 amp upgrade from Drag Specialties. I installed the voltage regulator and have only to make the final connection below the battery.

So now I am ready to install the new alternator rotor and stator. What is the best way to get the primary sprocket nut off? Is it left hand or right hand thread? I have a belt drive on the primary. Will I need to remove the inner primary case? Will the rotor stator just pull off the shaft?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The motor sprocket nut goes on and off as a normal thread ,the nut that holds the clutch housing and plates is a reverse thread.

If you don't have the right tool to look the pulley, you could put the trans in 5th gear and have someone sit on the brakes. Better to have the right tools in any case. A bit of heat on the compensator nut will ease the removal if there was lock tite used in the assembly.
No impact tools.

Thanks Glider.

I started to loosen the nut this afternoon and the bike started to walk across the floor. What a great idea. I will put the Mrs. on the seat and have her lay on the brakes. Stay tuned, I am not out of the woods yet. My bro recommended an electric impact to remove the nut... but you caution against it. I will try the breaker bar approach first.

thanks again.

Back