free website stats program Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced?

Hey all - couldn't pass this one up. I look at a Harley like I do a Hammond B-3 organ. The distinctive sound of a Hammond still stands today (Allman Brothers, Felix Cavaliere and the Rascals, Billy Preston, Keith Emerson) even though they quit making tone generators for each key and started going totally electronic - same sound - just a different way of achieving it. It's the same with a Harley - besides the distinctive sound, the fact that the bike is American made, the classic V cylinders, and the warranty make it the best bike for the buck. Sure, I had metrics prior to my first Harley but even though I thought I was satisfied with them, everytime a Harley passed me I drooled and said, "One of these days". I looked at lots of other brands, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, BMW, Victory, but none could duplicate the sound, the warranty was only a year and the add-ons were minimal. Plus my wife told me, "you know you won't be happy unless it's a Harley", and she was right. After a 16-month affair with a 1200 Custom Sportster, I finally have my gal - a FLSTC, 2007 model, and I couldn't be happier. Did I pay big bucks - sure - but "Black Beauty" will be with me and the wife for years to come.

G'day Leapfreak

Can you believe there are probably at least 5 cruisers more expensive than a few of the big twins?? There are arguments that they go great, stop, steer and can be fitted with after market pipes to get some more noise out of their big (bigger than H-D) engines. But, they just aren't the same!! Plus like I say below, the residual value of H-D is tremendous. My new FXDC will be worth $25k in 3 years. If I don't buy this bike, I sure as hell know I wouldn't have $25k in the bank.

Ride on!

Snake

Hey all - couldn't pass this one up. I look at a Harley like I do a Hammond B-3 organ. The distinctive sound of a Hammond still stands today (Allman Brothers, Felix Cavaliere and the Rascals, Billy Preston, Keith Emerson) even though they quit making tone generators for each key and started going totally electronic - same sound - just a different way of achieving it. It's the same with a Harley - besides the distinctive sound, the fact that the bike is American made, the classic V cylinders, and the warranty make it the best bike for the buck. Sure, I had metrics prior to my first Harley but even though I thought I was satisfied with them, everytime a Harley passed me I drooled and said, "One of these days". I looked at lots of other brands, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, BMW, Victory, but none could duplicate the sound, the warranty was only a year and the add-ons were minimal. Plus my wife told me, "you know you won't be happy unless it's a Harley", and she was right. After a 16-month affair with a 1200 Custom Sportster, I finally have my gal - a FLSTC, 2007 model, and I couldn't be happier. Did I pay big bucks - sure - but "Black Beauty" will be with me and the wife for years to come.

Hey, I used to own a Honda Shadow, half the price of any Harley, rode like a dream, never needed maintenance - but it wasn't a Harley.
A lot has to do with marketing and just plain darn attitude amongst riders. I know guys who ride Japanese stuff - but if they had the money they'd buy a Harley.
A Honda dealer told me a story where he and some buddies were rolling through downtown Edmonton, came to a red where a rather pretty lady was crossing the street. One of his buddies gunned his sporty and the lady turns to him and says "Get a Harley". Nuff said.:D

:cool:
Snake, You said it! The price of a new Harley guarantees its resale value. The Motor Company would be devalueing its brand if Harleys were reduced in price...
Buying a Harley Davidson is is not like buying any other motorcycle.

Besides how mant times have you seen a nice Jap cruiser pull up & someone comment " Hey nice bike... is it a Harley"?

My Roadking cost me $33,000 before any of the accesories, but a I happy with it...:D :D :D

RK

in agreeing with the others i also think that when you look at the value of a Harley after a few years you will find that they retain allot of value. Where thw other bikes loose allot of value you get what you get what you pay for

I paid $11,000+ for my new Nightster and I know that in the years to come I won't lose more than 10% of the price I paid. Put it this way, a person can't go to another motorcycle dealer and buy a bike that gets the comments, admiration or performance that my Harley recieves. The two-tone orange & black is sharp! Best bike I've ever owned and worth paying more as far as I'm concerned.

Brian:cool: :D :cool:

After riding many used Harleys,.....I recently was able to finally afford a new one.
actually,....I wouldn't have cared what it cost. You're either a Harley kinda guy,....or not. I don't think cost actually comes into play for anyone thats actually decided they want a harley. For some of us,...it's a type of lifestyle we live. For the rich rubs,...they REALLY don't care what it cost. If the cost is that big of a deal to somebody,....they should probably go over to the Honda shop,...I hear they got some great summertime sales goin on over there and they make excellent copycat bikes that look alot like Harleys.

Crawdaddy;)

Guys..

I'm reading through the posts on this subject and call me dumb, ignorant and all that but I get confused.
If you want to get from A to B and you don't want to walk you buy a bike.
If you have to wake up but you still want keep on dreaming you buy a Harley
These two things have only one thing in common and that is that they both have two wheels but that is were any simularity ends.
I just paid $35,000.00 for a new Ultra Classic E/G (prices vary for country to country don't you think?) and I would hate for anyone to call it a bike.

Another thing you have to look at is resale value. Metric cruisers have absolutely no relsale value at all. Thats inportant.
Scott

HarleyHarry,

You have summed it up beautifully!

My Roadking is not a bike. I really dislike that term (unless uesd on a jap).

My Harley Davidson is a motorcycle. It has a herritage of over 100 years, it is beautifully crafted and has an exceptionally high build quality .

If you have to ask the question; "Why buy a Harley Davidson"? You will not understand the answer.

RK

Last edited:
Back