free website stats program How often should I start my bike? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often should I start my bike?

When I bought my bike the salesman said that batteries lose 1% of their charge every day they sit. I also just recently saw it in a magazine article on electrical systems. How long is too long before having to put it on charge rather than starting it and riding?
Sometimes mine has sat for 3 weeks before I could ride. Thanks

If you use a tender you should be good to go for a lot of miles and ready to start all the time JMO

You do know HD did make snowmobiles

tn626s3.jpg

My point exactly...I'm surprised you do not have one in your garage (course Tank being in AZ and me being in CA would be not as practical as in your neck of the woods...:56:

I'd like to get a battery tender but what good would it do me when considering that I keep my bike outside? There is no electrical outlet near-by to plug it into.

Just bought another battery tender Jr. from jafrum.com for $18 plus shipping, if your looking for one.

Quick question--I have been reading about preparing your bike for the winter. I have utilized sea foam and a full tank of gas. Followed all the other instructions for the winter. I live in an apartment and my motorcycle is in a storage unit. My storage unit does not have an electrical connection. I do have a battery tender but did not know if it would be safe to utilize at the apartment. I know at least it would be better to remove the battery and store out of the cold inside my apartment? Any issues with just storing inside? I assume of course that it would be a bad decision to hook it up to the battery tender while inside. Would be better to have a dead battery instead of an explosion.

I'm not sure of the possibility of an explosion, but a charging battery will emit carbon monoxide. I found this out years ago when I had my trolling motor charging in my basement and it set off the detector and the fire department showed up..

I assume of course that it would be a bad decision to hook it up to the battery tender while inside. Would be better to have a dead battery instead of an explosion.
I keep my extra batteries inside on the tender.
Dealerships and indies keep some batteries charged inside.
No big deal.
AGM batteries are sealed and vent system is specially designed to minimize leakage.

Quick question--I have been reading about preparing your bike for the winter. I have utilized sea foam and a full tank of gas. Followed all the other instructions for the winter. I live in an apartment and my motorcycle is in a storage unit. My storage unit does not have an electrical connection.

Does your storage unit have an overhead light? If so get one of those screw in sockets with plugins.

One more suggestion I didn't see posted yet. Spray some oil (WD40, 3 in 1, or whatever), inside your exhaust pipe. Try to get it as far down the mufflers as possible. I suggest using only are sol type.

This will help keep moisture and ultimately rust from eating you shinny pipes from the inside out. In spring no need to try to remove the oil, just fire her up and it will burn right off. Ain't winter a pain?!!!:bigsmiley31:

You could stuff steel wool in the mufflers and intake.
It keeps mice away as they can follow inside the engine and build a nest in the cylinders.
Have to pull apart the engine.
I know a person this happened to.

Put a big note on the bike so you don't forget in the spring.
Moth balls also help.

Battery tender is the best.
No outlet?
Remove battery and bring it inside.

This is probably in this OLD thread BUT:

I only start my bike when NEEDED usually to ride..:

When I go for a ride OR needed work on it requires it.:s

Changing oil and filter then I ride it for a short 20 minute ride. (never less) This usually brings it up to the normal riding temperature. (no moisture then)

IF you get into the BAD habit of Just starting it to hear it run or show a friend or see if it will start? You will get an accumulation of Moisture in the motor and exhaust. Not Good.

IF It is too bad of weather and you have a BIG fan as I do, Set the fan to Blow on High (plenty of air) forward of the right side a little and across the cylinders and pipes... Work great for NO over heating.

I do this when working on my Tune or after a oil-n-filter change when it can't be ridden.
I do allow the bike to completely warm and using the big cooling fan, never a problem...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Back