free website stats program How often should I start my bike? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often should I start my bike?

The only protective measure I have for my bike is a breathable cover. Right now, I can't afford a battery tender. What other steps can I take to protect my bike against the temps?

Since I don't have a tender, how often should I start it?

i to cover mine outside pull the batery and store inside

I was asking because I don't know. I always back my torque wrench back to 0 also. Was this also bad info? I know any extension spring loses tension after time and I've had to re-roll leaf springs on my trucks so I thought it might be possible valve springs could also lose tension. Sorry for the stupid questions.

Geezer,
Not a stupid question, these thoughts occur to all of us with inquiring minds, but remember these thoughts also occured to the designers of the springs, so special alloy & blends of materials are used for this very reason.
Only questions that are not asked...are shall we say not so smart. :D

I was asking because I don't know. I always back my torque wrench back to 0 also. Was this also bad info? I know any extension spring loses tension after time and I've had to re-roll leaf springs on my trucks so I thought it might be possible valve springs could also lose tension. Sorry for the stupid questions.

No SORRY Needed...

HEY, I have heard that a few Bikers Found MOUSE HEADS in their left open valves while parked a long time.. Yes they were DEAD... NOW that is a NEW MOUSE TRAP.......

Danger to You with High Lift Cams and Larger Valves ;;; that could trap RATS...:tounge

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry you took it as being directed at you. NO STUPID questions. And they cause a lot of needless worry and expense to newer riders. Even the old ones fall for them some times.
We see so much of these invented problems with HD on the net.
I was being sarcastic about that. And the fact that right after one of the issues is invented there is this flood of recommended shops and indys that can fix it.
Again I am sorry it was not directed at you.

No problem Smitty, I didn't take it personally. Takes a lot more than that to offend me. I knew it was a petty question when I asked it but I thought that maybe over time (years & years) it could be possible. It seems I keep my stuff for years and years and if it could happen to anyone it would happen to me. The forum was quiet and I was bored so I asked it. Don't sweat it, all is well at this end.

There are no dumb questions here this is how we all learn:s

Just a thought, in case you didn't already know it. A battery/trickle charger and a battery tender are two different animals. The former usually provide a continuous charge to the battery, irregardless of it's state of charge. The latter monitors the battery and only provides charging voltage when needed. Big difference. We don't want to read one of your posts about a battery exploding or 'boiling' over.

I'd like to get a battery tender but what good would it do me when considering that I keep my bike outside? There is no electrical outlet near-by to plug it into.

I'd like to get a battery tender but what good would it do me when considering that I keep my bike outside? There is no electrical outlet near-by to plug it into.

You can pull the battery and move it to a power supply and attached the battery tender. It will maintain the battery fully charged when you want to use it again.

TQ

i'd like to get a battery tender but what good would it do me when considering that i keep my bike outside? There is no electrical outlet near-by to plug it into.
>>>>>>>>>>>

you can pull the battery and move it to a power supply and attached the battery tender. It will maintain the battery fully charged when you want to use it again.

Tq

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

Also, what is the lowest temp at which a carbureted bike will start?

I think a carbed gas engine will start at any temp. They use snow machines in Antartica. I think it takes a good battery and a strong starter at -0 temps.
Thankfully I have no firsthand experience, and must guess at extreme cold questions. :p

Back