free website stats program How often should I start my bike? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often should I start my bike?

If all the electrical is in its Best condition, I would guess that the Weight of oil would have a lot to do with How Cold or I should say Warm it is before engines starts.

Using the lightest oil is a must in Antarctic but how cold?

I don't plan to go down there soon so I'll have to wait for more information..

If Plugged into a Heater that will keep engine oil WARM, then most motors will start just fine.

Sunny but COLD/WINDY here today in the foot-hill of the Cascades.. I got my RK out and put a little Over 100 miles on it..
IT May have gotten the oil hot but I didn't feel it.. Beautiful Ride, Nice to Just get Out...

It Fired off on the very first push of the starter button, the oil ran into the 55lbs range while I warmed it up for a couple minutes..(20/50 Redline)

The wind was blowing so hard I could of just set in the driveway for any length of time today.

signed....BUBBIE

Glad you could get out for a ride Bubbie.

You ought to be a good one to REPORT on starting in the COLD weather Especially where you live..

How cold does it get OUTSIDE your Heated Play Room...( I'm sure that got every bodies attention)

Boy IF the members KNEW how BAD you had your little Play Room set up,,,, Envious/Jealousy would be Weak Words to use...

Your farm tractors would probably be hard to start Unheated in these Cold conditions.
I never have had my bikes Cold enough to think they wouldn't ever start.

But You in your location??? From what I know about North of the USA is from Just from afar or the Tele.

signed....BUBBIE

I think a carbed gas engine will start at any temp. They use snow machines in Antartica. I think it takes a good battery and a strong starter at -0 temps.
Thankfully I have no firsthand experience, and must guess at extreme cold questions. :p

Seems to me a battery is 30 percent @ o degrees, might be wrong I bet Hoople knows, I do know my bikes would start in January in Minnesota winter, even my kick start 60 FL would start, not reall good but I could make her run:s

I have never tried starting my ride in the cold because they're always in where it's warm. My tractors start great with the block heaters and an oil pan heater. I put 2 block heaters and a oil pan heater in my Chevy 6.5 so it starts great at -40. When it's around 0 outside the snow melts off the hood.

I have never tried starting my ride in the cold because they're always in where it's warm. My tractors start great with the block heaters and an oil pan heater. I put 2 block heaters and a oil pan heater in my Chevy 6.5 so it starts great at -40. When it's around 0 outside the snow melts off the hood.

-40? :newsmile042: I can't even imagine what that is like.

I'm with Breeze on the one -40*F is crazy cold and is not thought of even in the same sentence as a Harley streetbike...unless it was an V-Twin motor in a snowmobile, now THAT would be interesting! :newsmile033:

-40 isn't all that bad as long as the wind isn't blowing. I'm not saying I stay outside for 8 hours of the day but the guys in construction do. Just don't stop for long or you're frozen solid. You get used to it and how to deal with it.

When I bought my bike the salesman said that batteries lose 1% of their charge every day they sit. I also just recently saw it in a magazine article on electrical systems. How long is too long before having to put it on charge rather than starting it and riding?
Sometimes mine has sat for 3 weeks before I could ride. Thanks

Back