free website stats program How often should I start my bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often should I start my bike?

I think ONE thing not mentioned is where you park your bike Covered as you say... I ALWAYS park and put bike on a water barrier to keep the moisture from Rising UP thru the under-side of the bike.. Moisture will go up thru even cement inside my garage.

I take a piece of plastic and put it down then cover with a piece of plywood so no moisture can come STRAIGHT up and settle on the bike. LUCKY for me to park my Jeep out under a covered top shed and my bikes stay in an UN heated garage but DRY...

I cover my bikes with a Queen sized bed sheet of Cotton. This allows them to Breath and stay dry-clean.

Thinking about Your situation It Might be an IDEA to Friend a neighbor into using their garage to store the bike.. Just a thought.

I have started my bike a few time when working on it and NOT riding it BUT i take a Big Fan blowing across the engine. This allows bike to get up to temp and have No moisture from the few times I HAD to start and Not ride. JMWay

signed....BUBBIE

I got one from Walmart for my jeep and garden tractor and has worked fine. Had all of the same attachments as the Tender. I've had it for a couple of years now and no problems.

I think ONE thing not mentioned is where you park your bike Covered as you say... I ALWAYS park and put bike on a water barrier to keep the moisture from Rising UP thru the under-side of the bike.. Moisture will go up thru even cement inside my garage.

I take a piece of plastic and put it down then cover with a piece of plywood so no moisture can come STRAIGHT up and settle on the bike. LUCKY for me to park my Jeep out under a covered top shed and my bikes stay in an UN heated garage but DRY...

I cover my bikes with a Queen sized bed sheet of Cotton. This allows them to Breath and stay dry-clean.

Thinking about Your situation It Might be an IDEA to Friend a neighbor into using their garage to store the bike.. Just a thought.

I have started my bike a few time when working on it and NOT riding it BUT i take a Big Fan blowing across the engine. This allows bike to get up to temp and have No moisture from the few times I HAD to start and Not ride. JMWay

signed....BUBBIE

Do you think a tarp would do the job you describe? Also and now that you mention it, I have a friend that runs a storage facility. Maybe he could hook me up.

Do you think a tarp would do the job you describe? Also and now that you mention it, I have a friend that runs a storage facility. Maybe he could hook me up.

Thinking about it a while Longer,,,,, I doubt any placement of a plastic or tarp Under the bike while OUTSIDE would do any good and Maybe More HARM.. trapping water ON TOP and that is what we are trying to get away from..

The storage would be Best, Then put down a moisture barrier and Park that puppy... It will make you and your bike feel better about it.

signed....BUBBIE

Take a look Here ;;;;;;;; Reassurance on Winterization ( 1 2) - 1 days old
SprChkn

Indoor storage would be the better option to protect your bike from the weather. Do what you can to protect it from rodents as well. Don't want a family of mice taking up residence in your seat or pipes.
Parking it on a tarp should do the job. It's better than nothing.

Does anyone ever wonder about the exhaust or intake valve springs losing some tension if the motor sits without turning it over for 4-5 months?

Does anyone ever wonder about the exhaust or intake valve springs losing some tension if the motor sits without turning it over for 4-5 months?

This spring compression question comes up all the time on handgun boards concerning magazine springs and whether or not to store them fully loaded. The manufacturers of those all say the spring looses more tension over time by being worked than it does by staying compressed for long periods. Seems like if this applies to one coil spring it should apply to another.

I was just wondering if other people considered this. Years ago I always started any engine every month or so to lube up the engine and maybe change the valve spring so a different one was compressed. Would this be similar to fogging the cylinders?

If you have the rear tire off the ground, take spark plugs out, spray alittle light weight lube in cylinders, put in gear and rotate the tire one time. Now you've lubed the cylinders and changed the valve springs position. Easy to do and won't hurt anything.
Hand tighten plugs back in if you wish to rotate tire again in a few weeks.
wilks3

I was asking because I don't know. I always back my torque wrench back to 0 also. Was this also bad info? I know any extension spring loses tension after time and I've had to re-roll leaf springs on my trucks so I thought it might be possible valve springs could also lose tension. Sorry for the stupid questions.

Back