Helmet Poll, Do you wear one?

Discussion in 'General OFF TOPIC' started by FerrousBueller, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Do you wear a Helmet?

This poll will close on Feb 19, 2027 at 1:36 AM.
  1. Yes, because the law says I have to.

33 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Yes, I am more comfortable riding with a helmet even if the law doesn't require it.

128 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. Sometimes, even though I live where it's not required where I ride.

31 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. No, I prefer to ride without, and where I live their is no requirement.

31 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. Nikko684

Nikko684 Active Member

I wear a helmet because of two reasons, 1, It's North Carolina law, and 2, I am in the Military, and the Army says that even if state law says you DON'T need a helmet, I am still required to wear one, even off duty. So if I go down to Daytona Bike week, I still need to wear one.
    If it was my choice, I wouldn't wear one in town but on highways I would.

2. fireguyq

fireguyq Member

A fall of 3 feet, hitting your head on a hard surface can kill you.

Years ago, I rode my Hondas many miles. I wore a helmet on all rides. Then I got married and had kids. We all know about choices. The motorcycle had to go, too expensive. I got divorced and started riding bikes again, pedal bikes. Rode across Oregon 10 times and still wore a helmet.

In September I found the bike I was looking for. I bought a 2002 Screamin' Eagle Road King. Beautiful bike, purple with silver and gray flames. Before I left the shop I did two things. I make sure my insurance agent had a policy in place to protect me and the bike. Even better, I bought the best helmet the shop had. I fell off. I was not hurt too bad, 4 ribs broken, road rash on my knuckles and knees. My helmet has a bad scratch or two from the pavement. Had I not had a helmet, I would not be typing this, I would be dead and in a box. Or part of me would be in a box, parts of me would be in other people.

And the bike, it will be back in a couple of months. Original paint and flames, new crash bars, new front fender, new windshield, minor parts, labor=$9100.00 Progressive finally decided I was covered by the policy they sent to me on September 7 was in force and I really did pay for the policy on September 6. Two months to do the right thing and start paying the claim.

3. Nikko684

Nikko684 Active Member

Wow Fireguy, that sounds like it was painful. at least you walked away from it dude. Just wow.

4. Harttoo

Harttoo Well-Known Member

No helmet.Helmet law repealed in Wisconsin.Before repeal it felt like helmet would pull Your head off Your neck!
    I ride for freedom and it is My choice!

5. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

I have ridden over 300,00 miles over the years with no lid..knock on wood

6. MTLHD

MTLHD Member

I prefer not to, but, I do wear them more than I used to. I got hit by a car, head on, in town, in '09. No helmet, but I was lucky and walked away with nothing more than some bruises and a pretty good concussion. Since then I wear it more. On long road trips it stays on for the duration. It's just easier to wear it since my travels will often carry me through mandatory states. Fortunately I live in a state that respects freedom of choice. Such choices should not be mandated by government. My wife refuses to get on the scoot without her full-face, the one wreck we did have together in '89 the full-face did save her life.

7. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

i have too unless i want a ticket. maybe one day ill try it with out a helmet and just put a black cap on , see how far i can get hahahahahahahaha

8. Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup Junior Member

Over 300,000 miles...that's amazing, you have excellent skills.

9. sonoma707

sonoma707 New Member

Its mandatory in California but must say alot like the seat belt law I was against it at first but now I fell naked without it.l wear novelty helmets at times but I wont let my girl were nothing thats not DOT approved.

10. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

I have been down 4 times over the past 33 years of riding...just never smashed my head..knock on wood..but I do have a nice life insurance policy for the kids just in case