free website stats program Helmet Poll, Do you wear one? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet Poll, Do you wear one?

Do you wear a Helmet?

• Yes, because the law says I have to.

Votes: 33 14.7%
  • Yes, I am more comfortable riding with a helmet even if the law doesn't require it.

Votes: 128 57.1%
  • Sometimes, even though I live where it's not required where I ride.

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • No, I prefer to ride without, and where I live their is no requirement.

Votes: 32 14.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Don't plan on ever getting on a bike without a helmet. Why take the chance? Had a friend, who is a nurse in charge of ER, tell me the severe motorcycle cycle injuries she sees are head and neck injuries. And specifically injury to the back of the head. I went to Texas over the weekend, where a helmet is not required, and saw the majority of riders not wearing one. It's their choice but I would never make that choice.

We are very hard headed in Texas :p

I wear it a half helmet longer trips or in colder weather. I also in removable ear muffs so it cuts down on the the noise level of wind buffer.

Over the years I've chosen to ride with and without helmets. Have pretty much gotten used to the one I own. Still, riding without one is much more pleasant.

February, this year, while at home, I became sick with what I believe may have been restaurant food poisoning - at any rate got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, thinking I may have to throw up again. I never made it. Somewhere down the hall, I passed out, fell backwards and my head hit the tile flooring. I was unconscious.

Following a copter ride to the nearest trauma center, and three days in intensive care, I was discharged with what was called Subdural Hematoma - blood pooling on the brain. It's taken me six months to recover.

So now, thinking about helmets, I believe I'd be afraid to ride again without one. With what I experienced, in home, I'd hate to see what a fall on the road might do. I never realized just how sensitive the brain area is.

Hope none of you ever have to experience that for yourself.

I started riding dirt bikes in the 70's and helmets were required in motocross. It only took one nasty spill off a jump for me to be sold on the value of wearing a helmet.

I feel pretty naked without a helmet. I started riding in a state that required them back in 71. I know, they don't protect much above about 20 mph as you probably would break your neck anyway, and they are heavy, and hot in warm weather. Now I live in Florida where they are not required, however, I always wear one. Between the wife and I, we own a total of 8 of them. For one thing, my stereo headphones are in there and I can hear the sound system on the bike so much better. Also, when riding with my wife, we have the intercom so there is no screaming and yelling to carry on a conversation and when riding with others, the CB radio makes the ride so much more enjoyable when you can converse with the other bike's riders. I don't feel (and vehemently oppose), that there be a law REQUIRING their use, however, and would never try to influence another's decision or opinion on their use..

I was amused on our trip to South Dakota that there were so many folks riding without helmets in the morning when it was really chilly. Heck, they didn't even have skull caps or bandanas on. I was freezing even with a full face modular.

Over the years I've chosen to ride with and without helmets. Have pretty much gotten used to the one I own. Still, riding without one is much more pleasant.

February, this year, while at home, I became sick with what I believe may have been restaurant food poisoning - at any rate got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, thinking I may have to throw up again. I never made it. Somewhere down the hall, I passed out, fell backwards and my head hit the tile flooring. I was unconscious.

Following a copter ride to the nearest trauma center, and three days in intensive care, I was discharged with what was called Subdural Hematoma - blood pooling on the brain. It's taken me six months to recover.

So now, thinking about helmets, I believe I'd be afraid to ride again without one. With what I experienced, in home, I'd hate to see what a fall on the road might do. I never realized just how sensitive the brain area is.

Hope none of you ever have to experience that for yourself.

That is really some kind of story! Glad you made it back from that trauma okay. Now we all know to wear helmets when we get food poisoning.:)

I wore my beanie on my last trip to Ms, it was not as bad as I thought it would be, tho I still like the choice to be on me

I enjoy riding without one more, ands it's not the law in Texas to wear one, but I feel more the responsible dad with one on...

Back