free website stats program Harley Problems | Page 22 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Problems

Harley problems

• Total voters
GOING ON YOUR OWN is a good thing as you save Boko $$$$$$$...

Many good repair types are here to Help you through ANY Maintenance or Repair Process/Modification...

Doing your own work is rewarding and saves Many Dollars too...

JUST doing Oil, Filter, Primary, Transmission @ Maintenance time, on your bike WILL save you Hundreds in Labor...
Besides oil of you Choice, Buying Quality Oil that is better than the HD stuff offered by them IMHO.......

Oils I use:

Engine and Primary on Big Twins:
I use a 10w60 LiquiMoly German oil for the motor...(103" HOT Build)
MTL by Redline in the Primary/Clutch
I change Both of the above at 6,000 miles Most... (Blackstone oil reports say I can go easy to 8,000 miles)

Transmission in TC bikes; 4 speeds, 5 speeds, 6 speed Cruise Drives, Now my DD7 speed in my 09 King...
I Recommend AND will ONLY use Redline ShockProof Heavy Gear Oil in my TC 09 FLHR bike I Have today.
Sportster:
Tranny/Primary/Clutch on my 06 Sportster Roadster:
I use 10w60 oil above for the Sport engine BUT Formula+ in the Primary/Clutch

I hold NO Hate toward HD repair Shops... They are ok FOR SOME....

I JUST like it Done Correctly the first time and I seem to accomplish that Often...

signed....BUBBIE

Always going to be problems, no different than any new platform. I am a beta tester, I dont mind I have extended warranty

You've Always been good about sharing your Problem and the FIX with us Jack...Warranty or Not... SMILE

signed....BUBBIE

I need some help with pushrods. I'm building a S&S 92" EVO and I'm stuck. I have non adjusting pushrods that came with the engine originally. The issue I have is that they don't have any color markings on them to show which order they instal. Is there any way to tell by the length of the pushrod? There's two different lengths.
I'm thinking the two shorter go to the intake valves and the longer to the exhaust.....am I close??

Wish I had an answer for you, is there an indy guy you know that may have the answer, or does S&S have a customer service # to call?

I just gave my son my 1988 FLHS Electra Glide Sport. Gave it to him on Wednesday 4/26/17. I bought it new and it had 85,428 miles on it when I signed the title over to him. Only problem I ever had with it was the cylinder base gaskets "seeping" oil and that was normal in early Evo's. I put the upgrade gasket set in it back in 1990 or so. Problem solved. I did put an SE-4, lifters, pushrods and rockers in it myself at 49,434 miles (according to my Maint log book) but that was my personal choice. Nothing wrong with the original. Scoot still looks, runs and rides like new.
He went through the motorcycle safety course at the Harley dealership the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before I gave it to him. And I bought my present 2005 FLHTCI BACK IN March of this year. For a little over a month I was a "Two Harley Man" lOL

Last edited:
I was wondering how many members here have bought a Harley and had no significant problems with it over the years.

I'm not talking a loose bolt or something but more like a problem that they had to return to the dealer with to have a warranty fix done.
2009 Ultra Classic used 3 years old, no problems.

December 2016, At 14,800 miles I replaced all the bearings in my transmission. I also replaced my primary chain tensioner with a Baker manual adjusting chain tensioner. The OEM automatic chain tensioner is what caused the transmission main bearing to fail. I also replaced the main shaft, and 6th gear in the transmission. Big signs of fatigue on the main shaft from the roller bearings. It looked like really small creators, or dimples if you will in the shaft. Too much chain tension, and running the oil hot from it. I don't know what type of oil was used before I bought it. I use either Mobil 1 or Amesoil V Twin 20W50 in the engine, and primary. I use either Mobil 1, or Amesoil 75/90 gear oil in the transmission. I have changed the transmission oil twice already with zero filings in the oil when I drained it. I adjusted my clutch basket push rod to one quarter turn, and gave the clutch handle an eighth of an in play. After the oils are warmed up, it shifts into 1st gear with just the noise from the shifting drum turning! No big CLUNK! When going from neutral to 1st. It goes from 1st or 2nd to neutral when sitting still like butter in a hot frying pan! It shifts so smooth and easy all the time, I love it!!!

Back