free website stats program Harbor freight trailer ??????? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harbor freight trailer ???????

Alto; I understand your point. I can beat it through the night and inclement weather in the cage to get to my destination. Then take a nice relaxing ride in my chosen area. It doesn't take many miles on a bike in a rain storm to change the mood of the whole trip. Sometimes it IS about the destination, not the journey.

Re: trailer

didn't catch what type of van you had. if it's a full size, rear wheel drive it will pull a bike and trailer with no problems at all. You may need to keep trans in 3rd instead of 4th/OD. You can test that issue easily. If it's in OD and you can't pull a slight rise without the trans downshifting, or if the trans is constantly shifting 4th to 3rd and then back up to 4th on inclines and downhills just put it in 3rd and leave it or you'll overheat the trans even with a cooler. If you're not sure, put it in 3rd, slow down and enjoy.

I appreciate all the replys. how bout the tractor supply trailer?? they have two of them one for one for $550 with 12 inch tires weighs 350 lbs and they have one with 13 inch tires for $699 does the tire size make that much of a difference? the reason im looking at these trailers is because im trying to keep the tow weight down cause im going to with a car so the combined weight should be about 1100/1200 lbs. Thanks

I appreciate all the replys. how bout the tractor supply trailer?? they have two of them one for one for $550 with 12 inch tires weighs 350 lbs and they have one with 13 inch tires for $699 does the tire size make that much of a difference? the reason im looking at these trailers is because im trying to keep the tow weight down cause im going to with a car so the combined weight should be about 1100/1200 lbs. Thanks

The overall circumference of the tire is the big difference of the 12'' and 13" trailer tires. 12" usually have tires that are not that much bigger than the rim. 13" are closer to car tire size. Of course the load or weight rating of the tire is important, but the small tires are going to be spinning a whole lot faster at 75 mph than larger tires. This puts more heat into the bearings and chance for failure. There are good light weight trailers out there, but they are not the most inexpensive ones.

I would say on the tire sizes:::: YES! BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I haven't noticed as many RIGS with 13"+ tires (substantially bigger TIRE and RIM than 12" dinky little tire/rim) along side of the road with BEARING problems...HAVE YOU???
IT IS NOT so much the small tire a problem BUT the BEARINGS that have to turn at HIGH SPEEDS to keep up with the BIG TIRES on your rig....

Small tires HEAT and that being their BIG problem..

YES the 13/14/15/16 inch tires are a lot EASIER on BEARINGS.. The larger diameters TURN SLOWER at higher speeds....
WOULD YOU PUT 12" TIRES ON YOUR CAR?????

I would not mind the dept. of motor v. making RULES on size of trailer tires...
It might not sound LIKE MY "POLITICAL POLICIES" to have "RULES-LAWS" invoked BUT for safety to ME and others I would like to see a mandate to a larger tire on trailers,,, LIKE 13" being the smallest diameter allowed ON THE HIGHWAYS OVER 50 mph...

The little 8/10/12 inch tire/rim are okay UP TO 40/50 mph and that is even a stretch!

HOW MANY TIMES do YOU figure to do 40/50 when TRAVELING????ESPECIALLY PULLING THAT HARLEY!!

Imagine the SPINNING (tire heat) involved to go 70 mph 80 in TEXAS...
now you get the picture...HARD enough on a larger tire/wheel....

The PRICE (550/699) difference on the trailers YOU MENTIONED better be MORE than JUST the 13" tire size or they are GAUGING $$ wise..
you can buy a good trailer tire and rim 13/14 for around 60/80$....

I have a lot of experience on this matter so I feel I AM RIGHT and not GUESSING and JUST trying to HELP YOU OUT!

GET the lightest trailer you want BUT have tire sizes to match YOUR speed /weight ratios with 13" being the smallest...

signed....BUBBIE

I would say on the tire sizes:::: YES! BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I haven't noticed as many RIGS with 13"+ tires (substantially bigger TIRE and RIM than 12" dinky little tire/rim) along side of the road with BEARING problems...HAVE YOU???
IT IS NOT so much the small tire a problem BUT the BEARINGS that have to turn at HIGH SPEEDS to keep up with the BIG TIRES on your rig....

Small tires HEAT and that being their BIG problem..

YES the 13/14/15/16 inch tires are a lot EASIER on BEARINGS.. The larger diameters TURN SLOWER at higher speeds....
WOULD YOU PUT 12" TIRES ON YOUR CAR?????

I would not mind the dept. of motor v. making RULES on size of trailer tires...
It might not sound LIKE MY "POLITICAL POLICIES" to have "RULES-LAWS" invoked BUT for safety to ME and others I would like to see a mandate to a larger tire on trailers,,, LIKE 13" being the smallest diameter allowed ON THE HIGHWAYS OVER 50 mph...

The little 8/10/12 inch tire/rim are okay UP TO 40/50 mph and that is even a stretch!

HOW MANY TIMES do YOU figure to do 40/50 when TRAVELING????ESPECIALLY PULLING THAT HARLEY!!

Imagine the SPINNING (tire heat) involved to go 70 mph 80 in TEXAS...
now you get the picture...HARD enough on a larger tire/wheel....

The PRICE (550/699) difference on the trailers YOU MENTIONED better be MORE than JUST the 13" tire size or they are GAUGING $$ wise..
you can buy a good trailer tire and rim 13/14 for around 60/80$....

I have a lot of experience on this matter so I feel I AM RIGHT and not GUESSING and JUST trying to HELP YOU OUT!

GET the lightest trailer you want BUT have tire sizes to match YOUR speed /weight ratios with 13" being the smallest...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie nailed it with tire size and smaller bearings, They spin too fast and dont have enough surface area to support the weight. Ive seen too many trailers on the side of the road with axles bent, blown tires and exploded bearings, Jack

kcmoonman, I would strongly sugest you look into a small 5x8 enclosed trailer.
They can be bought for $1500 new or $1000 or cheaper used on Craigs list.

The reason I say this is that it would be protecting your investment (your bike) and give you more peace of mind if you stop at a motel over night.
On top of that think of weather.
And if a tie down strap breaks which has happened to me the bike will not go far, I allways use 2 tie downs on each corner of the bike now.

And if you can find one with a rear ramp door it will make your life that much better.

Do you know any good welders? I had my son in law weld up a trailer out of 2" angle iron with a set of 15" wheels and tires that matched those on my jeep. I painted it black put on chrome wheels and tombstone taillights and wood side rails .It's a heavy trailer but tows like a dream, I hardly feel it even with the 800 lb bike on. I even used it with my SAAB 4 cylinder and had no problem going across Vermont.

Back