free website stats program Harbor freight trailer ??????? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harbor freight trailer ???????

I've been interested in the same trailer except they have one with a load capacity of 1750 lbs. It has 5 lug wheels, bigger bearings. I'm going to check it out soon, only 350.oo.

I'm retired welding one man shop...

I think 350$ for a 1700lbs axle and "frail-rails" is not TOO much money for a bolt together trailer.JUST not for hauling harleys.

The 12" tires are NOT good enough nor SAFE for hauling a $$$$ harley.....

If you went with regular trailer tires (13" 6ply rated) the lug pattern will fit the 5 lug axle and also BEEF the frame a little, it would be ok for a emergency harley hauling trl.BUT YOU probably gotta HIRE some one so $$$$$$$ too much.

YOU do get what you pay for and I would SUGGEST look for a USED MC trailer and you would be MONEY AHEAD, also surprised what is out there for sale.

MY cost on a good 2000# axle/springs set-up is 200$ and then 13"X 5 hole wheels and tires at 65$ each , A 2" ball receiver hitch 28$, 3" channel (use for frames) 40' x 3.80 a foot=150$ plus fenders= 40$ Side railes and 2' verticals from 2" channel= 26$ and lights with wire/plug about 25$. 3/4 " 4x8 plywood 35$ MISC items 10$ tail gate expanded metal + frame 22$ now what do we have?

200+65+65+65+28+150+40+26+25+35+10+22 so about 750$$ plus labor to make a pretty nice OPEN trailer..11/1200$

NOW LOOK for a USED trailer, I have seen SMALL enclosed trailers/ramp door for 1200$..... JUST right for a harley. I couldn't start to make one for that price....

you can FIND a used CLOSED trailer for a lot less than the HULK I just made you...

OH well I'm retired anyway...

signed....BUBBIE

+1
Been there and done that some years ago. Now what with the state of litigation and stupid law suits I would not even want to try. It would be the person that may or may not be injured due to some "design flaw" in what you have made that would clean your plow so to speak.

Had a similar trailer back in the mid-90's to haul my snowmobile & other than using it to haul locally (5-20 miles) I wouldn't trust it for longer trips, or heavier loads. Best to heed other warnings & put a little more $$$ in for better quality.

Re: trailer

Alto,

I think trailering is a great option, you get the best of both worlds, you don't have to worry about the weather, the luggage or the comfort, but still get to ride all the places you want to.

You will love Gettysburg, but as in most tourist spots, watch the traffic on the weekends.

Have fun!

I have pulled 30 travel trailers across country with a chev express 1500 (small 8) with no problem. but I noticed you have a van, will it fit into your van. mine does just I pop off the shield and drive it in. the wheel shoe is just behind the ft seats. I like this as I get real good gas mileage. Then I have been known to sleep in the back.

I love my 6 X 10' enclosed trailer. GW 2600# with 15" wheels. The bike stays dry and clean, and it pulls great. I'm in Key Largo for 2 wheels and trailered my RK on very salty roads from NJ. My black truck looked white when I got here, and King looked like it never left the garage. :newsmile011:

Go the extra bucks, you would regret it. :)

Just picked up a nice , little, enclosed v nose aluminum 5x10 trailer for our bike.( used but in fine shape)
I've never had a trailer. Wife and I love to ride and, with our work schedules, we don't get to 'see/ride' places we'd love to ride and see. This trailer will open up some nice destinations for us..We look forward to loading up the bike, pulling out of here on a late Fri afternoon, drive/tow into the night, have a hotel set up, offload Sat and ride whatever area....stay in the hotel Sat night and make a bee line for home and work on Monday. I have a hitch and wiring ordered for our van...Hopefully, our Merc Villager will tow the combined weight of 600lb trailer and 850 lb Ultra..If not, I have my son in law's Dakota truck..I'd rather rely on using my own van. I'd like to hear thoughts on the van's capability to tow the 1500lbs. A few destinations we'd love to try is the Blue Ridge Parkway..another is Bar Harbor area in Maine, and Gettysburg, PA.

Do you have a transmission cooler on that van, they generate alot of heat toting a trailer

I looked on line and found this question about towing cap. for a merc villager.

Question
I have a 1994 Mercury Villager. Can you tell me the towing capacity of the car ?

Accepted Answer
Thank you for using just answer the factory numbers for towing capacity 1994 mercury

villager is 2000/3500LBS I think you have to consider the mileage and the condition of the van

Hope this helps you. Welcome back to the two wheeled like. drivers are still as bad as they were back then.

I bought a 92 chevy g-20 conversion van took out the rear seats and added a wheel chock between the front seats and made a folding ramp ride my bike into the van pack my air mattress and of we go, all I do is remove the winshield and mirrors when we get to where we are going and we have a place to sleep.:bigsmiley11:

You do not want your bike on a Harbor Freight trailer. Too weak. Get a quality trailer to haul your bike.

Back