free website stats program Harbor freight trailer ??????? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harbor freight trailer ???????

I'm retired welding one man shop...

I think 350$ for a 1700lbs axle and "frail-rails" is not TOO much money for a bolt together trailer.JUST not for hauling harleys.

The 12" tires are NOT good enough nor SAFE for hauling a $$$$ harley.....

If you went with regular trailer tires (13" 6ply rated) the lug pattern will fit the 5 lug axle and also BEEF the frame a little, it would be ok for a emergency harley hauling trl.BUT YOU probably gotta HIRE some one so $$$$$$$ too much.

YOU do get what you pay for and I would SUGGEST look for a USED MC trailer and you would be MONEY AHEAD, also surprised what is out there for sale.

MY cost on a good 2000# axle/springs set-up is 200$ and then 13"X 5 hole wheels and tires at 65$ each , A 2" ball receiver hitch 28$, 3" channel (use for frames) 40' x 3.80 a foot=150$ plus fenders= 40$ Side railes and 2' verticals from 2" channel= 26$ and lights with wire/plug about 25$. 3/4 " 4x8 plywood 35$ MISC items 10$ tail gate expanded metal + frame 22$ now what do we have?

200+65+65+65+28+150+40+26+25+35+10+22 so about 750$$ plus labor to make a pretty nice OPEN trailer..11/1200$

NOW LOOK for a USED trailer, I have seen SMALL enclosed trailers/ramp door for 1200$..... JUST right for a harley. I couldn't start to make one for that price....

you can FIND a used CLOSED trailer for a lot less than the HULK I just made you...

OH well I'm retired anyway...

signed....BUBBIE

I like that, "frail rails". What size trailer are you specifying there? I already have a 5x12 single axle 13"x5 with a rear gate-ramp and spent 1200 on it, but that would be too big to haul behind my Equinox. Maybe you'd build a custom one just big enough for the bike and so I can cover it too? I don't even know how much the Equinox can haul...

My first trailer was a HF trailer. Not the folding one. It comes in multiple boxes and has to be assembled and wired (included). It took about an hour for 2 of us to get it put together. I used it a couple of times for my Deuce with no problems at all. I sold it because it didn't have a ramp/gate on it and I just didn't feel comfortable riding up an aluminum ramp with my feet right next to the bike. Absolutely no control over my balance that way. I tried all kinds of things before finally deciding to sell it. Also, it was a couple of inches too short. The bike would fit on the trailer, but the rear tire was only about 2 inches from the back.

IMG_0037.jpg

I then bought one from Tractor Supply Co. that has a ramp on it. For the 2 times I use it a year, it fills the bill just fine.

15-20k for a motorcycle. 8-35k for a truck to pull it and $350 for the trailer! Whats wrong with these numbers. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Spend a little extra and buy a trailer worthy of your investments.

Re: trailer

Thanks all. I do plan on having a transmission oil cooler installed. After the hitch/wiring etc is installed on the van, I'll try towing it around my area to get a feel of how hard ( or not) the van is working to tow the bike/trailer. We love being back on two wheels. Going from a Roadster, 20 years ago, to our Ultra was a bit daunting for me ( stops and it's weight etc) but I got real comfortable with it last year. With the trailer, we'll get to ride places we'd not be able to get to ( time, mainly..endurance, somewhat).
Thanks again, my friends

Just picked up a nice , little, enclosed v nose aluminum 5x10 trailer for our bike.( used but in fine shape)
I've never had a trailer. Wife and I love to ride and, with our work schedules, we don't get to 'see/ride' places we'd love to ride and see. This trailer will open up some nice destinations for us..We look forward to loading up the bike, pulling out of here on a late Fri afternoon, drive/tow into the night, have a hotel set up, offload Sat and ride whatever area....stay in the hotel Sat night and make a bee line for home and work on Monday. I have a hitch and wiring ordered for our van...Hopefully, our Merc Villager will tow the combined weight of 600lb trailer and 850 lb Ultra..If not, I have my son in law's Dakota truck..I'd rather rely on using my own van. I'd like to hear thoughts on the van's capability to tow the 1500lbs. A few destinations we'd love to try is the Blue Ridge Parkway..another is Bar Harbor area in Maine, and Gettysburg, PA.

find the owners manual for your van and it should tell you how much will tow.

I had a fold up Harbour Frieght for a few years. Its bolt togeather and cheaply made. Don't waste your money. If money or storage is an issue you can rent a nice MC trailer from U-Haul to see if you like the whole concept.

I like that, "frail rails". What size trailer are you specifying there? I already have a 5x12 single axle 13"x5 with a rear gate-ramp and spent 1200 on it, but that would be too big to haul behind my Equinox. Maybe you'd build a custom one just big enough for the bike and so I can cover it too? I don't even know how much the Equinox can haul...

I do have a 5x8 covered just for ONE harley REALLY SLICK ramp door BUT OLD(MINE an NOT for sale) ..... I should get it copied and do 5 at a time for sale. I am too lazy NOW and don't want to start that up again(custom welding) It always SOUNDS good UNTIL you get involved with the LEGALITY of IT..

The state of WA. once told me I could BUILD trailers and THEY would furnish ALL the NUMBERS and TAGS I needed to COMPLY with THEIR RULES.. The fact was: each trl I would build =160/200$ cost BEFORE it was SOLD..PAY UP FRONT...

THAT ENDED my thoughts of building trailers(quality ones)... I would build a trailer AS A KIT and sell it to the NEW OWNER but even then the LIABILITY always came back to me...
IT IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE when you MANUFACTURE a product....

SO being retired and wanting to sell my WELDING SHOP/house and PROPERTY (10 A divide. by 2 @ 5 A each) with a FULL MT Rainier view.. Enumclaw WA.

POINT IS come BUY ME OUT and build your own trailers......

THE SMALL covered trailer IS A MUST for the nice HD's of today... I couldn't see putting any of my bikes (sport/flhr) out in the open ON todays roads..
LET ALONE parking over night without being OUT OF SIGHT of the VANDALS in abundance TODAY....

I still believe that there are a LOT of nice USED trailers out there and SELLING for a very LOW price...

RETIRED and wanting to MOVE to AZ. FULL TIME...

signed....BUBBIE

I had a 5' x 10' tractor supply trailer for a number of years. made at least 3 trips from No. Va to NC. loaded, and I mean loaded. probably 2000-2500 lbs at least. I bought it with the optional 3500 lb axle, had 15" car tire/wheel combo. Used to come standard with 2000 lb axle, don't know about now. hauled my approx. 700 lb super glide and a neighbors softail numerous times. no problems. Don't think I'd want a mesh floor, mine was 2" x 8 or 10" planks. Owned it for approx. 6 yrs and the tires looked virtually new. Obviously I agree with some of the above comments : expensive bike don't go with cheap trailer. The trailer I'm talking about is approx. $1,000. Well worth the investment. IMO

Thanks all. I do plan on having a transmission oil cooler installed. After the hitch/wiring etc is installed on the van, I'll try towing it around my area to get a feel of how hard ( or not) the van is working to tow the bike/trailer. We love being back on two wheels. Going from a Roadster, 20 years ago, to our Ultra was a bit daunting for me ( stops and it's weight etc) but I got real comfortable with it last year. With the trailer, we'll get to ride places we'd not be able to get to ( time, mainly..endurance, somewhat).
Thanks again, my friends

NOW,,,THAT IS A GOOD WAY TO TRAVEL,,,THEN RIDE the HD AND ENJOY THE COUNTRY.....

I for one LIKE to TRAILER (1 bike) behind my OLD motorhome to STURGIS.

I would stay at Hill City SD......
Remembering, Laying in bed at PRE-DAWN in the motorhome @ crooked creek resort,,

LISTENING to the bikes START.........
ONE then TWO or THREE and all of the sudden ALL YOU HEARD were BIKES heading out and the SUN WAS JUST com'n up....
if you weren't up-n-out by THAT time YOU were left in the DUST...

The BIKES swarmed,,,,,,, TOO MANY BIKES AT ONE TIME,,, and all traveling out for a day of LOOK n SEE,, FUN...

The motorhome,
WELL,,, JUST the COMFORT, was the best thing I NEEDED and by far, LESS expensive a stay THAN a motel you had to RESERVED a YEAR EARLIER....
The fact you could come and go with EAZE when you wanted,,, and take the BED and kitchen SINK with you....THIS by far surpassed the JEERING.... One would get by an occasional "TRUE BIKER",,,

YOU KNOW the KIND (maybe you) saying "I RODE MINE" ------ well BIG DEAL,,, IN THE OLD DAYS on the 51 pan, "THEN" i would be PROUD SAYING ""I RODE MINE""

I do like the idea of planning ahead on the ""every once in a while trip""BUT NOT the RALLIES"".... TRAILER the BIKE ..... GETTING a MOTEL for the night.

Heading OFF on the harley ... leaving the TOW rigs in a parking lot like WAL-MART. THEN go "LOOKIN FOR ADVENTURE" and staying at a motel along the way...
SUCH A GREAT WAY TO TRAVEL...

YOU CAN have your CAKE and EAT IT TOO!

signed....BUBBIE

Back