free website stats program Getting the better half to go on long trips! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting the better half to go on long trips!

My husband and I just got back from a week in South Dakota, not sure you all new I am a newbie. I have had my license since mid May. First time rider, what fun we had. First day only 320 miles second day 420 then to campsite outside of Keystone. I am ready to go again. Make-up, mirror, hair dryer and all in camp, (tent) with electric. During rides no use messing with all of that, no one knows me anyway. I must say I like my own bike, two up is not for me.
Good luck in getting the wife to go, she is missing out on so much beauty out there.

Up until 3 yrs ago my wife never went on any long rides with me. The occassional short ride was about all she would do. I would go on 4 day runs but that was about the longest we could stand being apart. Then in '08, when I'd told her I was planning on taking a run to BC over the July long weekend, she remarked "you're not going to take me?". That was it, bought her all her leathers and bought the trailer to tow behind my '83 G'wing (G'wing didn't have enough space for stuff). By the time we got back she was looking at new bikes for me and planning the next years ride.

In the winter she travels with the local high school as a chaperone so she gets to go further than we could afford to and in summer we take our vacation on the Harley. She doesn't like to drive and prefers to be a passenger. And me, I just love having her along and sharing what I really enjoy. The rides are just that much more enjoyable together.

Now that I've said all that, I hope I don't jinx her enthusiasm for long trips.:s

Last edited:
I think for a women it is nessesary to have planned destinations of something that interest them more then you. In other words, give and take. She goes but gets to shop along the way...lol works for me.

My wife likes to ride but not just for the fun of riding like us. She has to know she is going to go somewhere that she enjoys. Gives her a break to stretch out so she doesn't get sore. I also put a touring seat on for her.

This is kinda what I do when we go on a longer road trip. We discuss it a while and I let her know what I want to see/do and then I let her figure out where we are gonna stop and what we are gonna see and do. That way, she gets to do what she wants to do and I get to ride!

My long time girlfriend is the same. We used to take long trips together but after one very wet, very cold Laconia trip she won't do any multi day rides.

I tried towing the bike, but didn't feel right. So she follows me in her car and when we get to our destination we use the bike but have a car if (when) the weather turns bad.

I get my ride and she stays dry and comfy, as they say "when mama's happy, everyone's happy".:D

I have a wife that will not ride either. She thinks the seat is to small, but when I suggested buying a bigger seat she said she still probly would not ride. So problem solved, I am just going to buy a solo and enjoy my rides in peace.

I bought one of the $100 tour boxes on ebay and had it color matched to the bike. Mounted it using HD quick release hardware. Now we can get just about everything she needs to take on the bike. If she is not behind me on the bike she is on one of her trikes.

Hi....You guys that have wifes that enjoy riding with you ,thats nice...I can under stand the together ness thing..:)..But my self .....My wife of 26 years does not ride. Not even a small ride..I realy dont mind it to bad..She is happy that I enjoy it ..She is also happy doing the things she likes when Im riding like working in hur garden and on hur flowers..We love one another but dont half to be together every min.I think doing some things apart is not a bad thing. No offence to you guys...I dont mind riding alone..Is this such a bad thing??:)..Oh try beging

Hi....You guys that have wifes that enjoy riding with you ,thats nice...I can under stand the together ness thing..:)..But my self .....My wife of 26 years does not ride. Not even a small ride..I realy dont mind it to bad..She is happy that I enjoy it ..She is also happy doing the things she likes when Im riding like working in hur garden and on hur flowers..We love one another but dont half to be together every min.I think doing some things apart is not a bad thing. No offence to you guys...I dont mind riding alone..Is this such a bad thing??:)..Oh try beging

i am with you Mat...my wife of 18 does not ride and has no ambition to. we spend almost all our free time together, but she knows my passion for riding and has no problem with it. when i am at work she always tells me to go for a ride every day to clear my head and rid the stress.
one day while having coffee in the morning with her she just stared at me. i tried to figure out what i did wrong (nope nothing there) ok so i must of said something (nope nothing there). then she said your going to drive me nuts when you retire! i said i promise to ride and fish more. :D she just smiled and said ok that will work :D:D gota love her

My wife doesn't care to do multi day rides, too much saddle time for the herniated disks she has. I prefer riding solo, but really enjoy it when she does ride. So, we've found a compromise. I bought a trailer. We tow to our destinations and then use the bike the whole time we're there.

Two years ago we towed the bike to Maine, then spent the next 5 days riding all over Nova Scotia. We took the ferry back to Maine and loaded the bike on the trailer for the long ride home. She was fine with that.

This year we're going to the Delmarva rally (first time) and she actually suggested that we ride as it's only a 4-5 hour ride. I assured her that we'd be stopping about every two hours for gas. Then her girlfriend asked if we ride in the rain and what would we do if it was raining on the day we were coming home. :( We're taking the trailer.

Next year we're planning to fly to Vegas, rent bikes, and ride out to the Grand Canyon. She's really looking forward to it. I've told her that if she enjoys that trip that I'd consider selling my Deuce and getting a bagger if she was willing to do more long distance rides.

I know a guy that was in a situation like yours and he told his wife I am going for a ride, don't know where I am going or how long, I will call you daily. He came home a little over 1 year:swoon and many miles later.
He did call home every night, it worked for him, but it probably wouldn't for everybody.

Back