free website stats program geting on and off...the ride | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

geting on and off...the ride

I have always used the left side and tried the right side recently and it is actually easier for me. It seems to give me a little more kick room to mount since I have the backrest in place.

Went down to the garage to see why I get on from the right and remembered that when I first started riding the Marine that lived next door said by gitting in the right side you had control of the front brake and didn't have to lean over the bike to control it.

The bike is leaning to the jiffy stand side and is lower in height when on the stand. That is why I get on this side.

One more reason I get on the right side it gives me cause to walk around the bike and have a quick look at the rear tire and brakes

Left side for me. I am inseam challenged and it is just easier to get my leg over. I dont like standing on the right foot board to mount from the right.

Just my preference.

My son (6) has a Yamaha TTR50cc dirt bike. Gears are three up, no clutch. The other day he was trying to get it into gear and was having trouble. I grabbed the left grip and told him to hop off for a second. He dismounted off to the right, his boot got stuck under the gear shift and sure enough it went into gear while he was dismounting. The popping caused him to panic and hit the throttle. He's running with the bike now. I'm shouting let it go. It's heading towards Mama's Volvo. Everything turned out OK, just a divet in the yard. But, it did get his attention. "Dad, I think I forgot to hold the brake while I was gettin' off". I explained to him everything that happened, was thankful that he was not injured, and reminded him to remember so that we could avoid the same situation in the future.

I mount/dismount from the left due to hot pipes on the right.

I'll mount/dismount either side. What ever is convenient for the moment. I try to mix it up. That way, I'm always comfortable getting on or off regardless where I park, or, if someone else parks too close to one side or the other. I call it my "Ambi-Mount" method.

Mostly the left side but sometimes on and off on the right side left side puts me away from traffic if at the side of the road

Brian

Back