free website stats program First ride without helmet. | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

First ride without helmet.

There has been a couple comments about riding with more care because of no helmet. Personally, on the rare occasion I wear a lid, I don't ride less careful. Man, helmet or not, it hurts if you go down and besides, I don't want to scratch my scoot so I guess I don't understand that line of reasoning.

pookibr, your thread was one of the last things I read & commented on before bed last night and I'll be danged if I didn't have a dream that I hit a deer on my bike. It was enough to wake me up. I think I will start wearing a helmet to bed. I should start a poll...:D Just messing Glinder.

pookibr, your thread was one of the last things I read & commented on before bed last night and I'll be danged if I didn't have a dream that I hit a deer on my bike. It was enough to wake me up. I think I will start wearing a helmet to bed. I should start a poll...:D Just messing Glinder.

I had to chuckle when I read your comment. Thank God it was a dream.

Rule #1: When poking fun, don't mess up.
It will not happen again (until next time) glider.
In my defense, I had waffles on my mind. Now that they are in my tummy I'm as sharp as a tack-ha!

pookibr, I'm glad it was only a dream too. I live in the heart of deer country and hate to ride as evening approaches because of it. It's too bad because it such a beautiful time of day to ride. Last night I just had to break down and take my chances. A storm had moved though, it was cool, lightening was in the distance, so I threw on the leathers and took off. But the entire time I scanned the ditches and kept it under 60. Probably another reason for the dream.

Just want to say this is the first time I've seen a helmet use thread that hasn't turned into a (expletive deleted) contest. I attribute that to the obvious intelligence of the posters and the gentle tug on the reins (when needed) by the moderators.

This is fast becoming one of my favorite sites. The technical information, the intelligent conversation, the sense of humor of the posters and the respect for each other is a refreshing change from many of the other BBs.

I have a confession to make, I own a helmet and have worn it, not all the time and not only in helmet law states. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it but sometimes I just feel like wearing it. granted after many years of going bareheaded it feels odd but after a couple of trips to Americade in NY. I am getting more comfortable with it. I guess you could say I'm a SGPT (some of the gear part of the time) kind of guy.

Well have a good day everyone, I think I'll go out for a little ride. Looks like rain later so I'll be wearing my Tourmaster gear over my jeans and black tee shirt and I'll bring my helmet in case it really rains hard. I wonder if there is a way I could fit the face shield without the helmet?:D

There has been a couple comments about riding with more care because of no helmet. Personally, on the rare occasion I wear a lid, I don't ride less careful. Man, helmet or not, it hurts if you go down and besides, I don't want to scratch my scoot so I guess I don't understand that line of reasoning.

LOL!!! I'M IN TEARS!!

Ride safe

Riding without a helmet is a differrent feeling, I just dont do it even though I am legal to hide bare headed here in TX. I wear a helmet because I dont want my wife to have to change my diapers for the rest of my life because of a small accident.

This was a freind of mine from back home. I understand he fell asleep from witnesses who seen him drift off the road slowly. He had been to Sturgis then Nebraska and on his way home. Head injuries caused the death. Not promotong helmet laws, was his choice not to wear one but likely would have saved his life. His wife and Grandson were 1/2 hr behind him and came upon accident. Bummer.

ABERDEEN, S.D. — A North Dakota man died from injuries he suffered in a weekend motorcycle crash in South Dakota.

The Highway Patrol says 51-year-old Timothy Linghor of Williston was injured late Sunday morning when his motorcycle drifted off Interstate 29 in northeastern South Dakota’s Roberts County. The bike rolled in the ditch.

The patrol says Linghor died Sunday night at a Fargo, N.D., hospital.

I don't understand the desire to ride without a helmet. I think understanding those who refuse would help me decide where I stand on helmet laws.

I've been having an ongoing discussion with The Girlfriend about half helmets vs. full face. I'd rather a full face for freeway riding, but half helmet for city. Sure there's more risk with a half helmet, but it's a risk I'm aware of and one that I knowingly accept.

The thing is, I'm not convinced that the average lid-less rider understands and knowingly accepts the risks involved. The little bit I've read on other anti-helmet laws sites suggests that they're trying to downplay how dangerous motorcycles are and how helpful helmets can be.

I'm not sure helmet laws are the best option for this problem, but I can't think of alternatives.

When I was young and had an I.Q. of about 12 I never used a helmet.
Since I am older now and have discovered where my brains are kept I will never ride without a helmet.
I am retired from radiology. I worked the ER and surgery. We had two types of motorcycle accidents; those who wore helmets and those who didn't. 90% of the time you could tell who was and who wasn't. Those who weren't went to the morgue. Those who were went to surgery and they talked to you the next day.

Back