free website stats program First ride without helmet. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

First ride without helmet.

Abstract question... if you you knew it was inevitable that you would go down on your next Sunday afternoon ride and there was nothing you could do to stop it, would you go out with a bucket on or without

Has anyone here read the Goldstein study on helmet use and what do you you think of it? I have just looked at a summary and not the whole thing so I won't try and tell anyone what it says.

It might be an interesting poll to see how many have gone down and wear a helmet vs how many have gone down and do not wear a helmet. And the opposite. How many have never gone down and wear a helmet vs. how many have never gone down and don't wear one.

I don't know how to do a poll and will be away from my computer for the next 6 days.

When I had my accident with the deer I was wearing my helmet. I remember my head hitting the pavement and me rolling down the road. I dont remember sliding face first. But you can tell I did my the way my shield looks. They took my helmet along when they transferred me to another hospital. I was told by the doctors that if I wouldnt have had on my helmet that I would have had severe head trauma and I wouldnt have made it. I always wear my helmet and am very thankful that I do.

Abstract question... if you you knew it was inevitable that you would go down on your next Sunday afternoon ride and there was nothing you could do to stop it, would you go out with a bucket on or without

I'd stay home and drink beer while working a crossword puzzle!

Last edited:
It might be an interesting poll to see how many have gone down and wear a helmet vs how many have gone down and do not wear a helmet. And the opposite. How many have never gone down and wear a helmet vs. how many have never gone down and don't wear one.

I don't know how to do a poll and will be away from my computer for the next 6 days.

:( I started a poll on how many of us wear helmets a week or so ago, and for some reason they closed it saying we have enough about this subject already. Seems this is an intersting topic with lots of interest. Maybe if someone else starts a poll it will be allowed? I really would have liked to know what percent of us uses a lid. :52: Anyway ride safe.

pookibr,

Helmet or not, you shouldn't deer hunt with a Harley; bullets are cheaper and the recoil hurts less.:s

:( I started a poll on how many of us wear helmets a week or so ago, and for some reason they closed it saying we have enough about this subject already. Seems this is an intersting topic with lots of interest. Maybe if someone else starts a poll it will be allowed? I really would have liked to know what percent of us uses a lid. :52: Anyway ride safe.

2 bikes and 35K miles ago, as a newbie, I got into a headon situation with a Jeep where I thought I had to 'lay her down', and did. My full face helmet got scratched up pretty good, otherwise it would have been my head that got scuffed. Fortunately, nothing much else got hurt except for my big toe. I've worn steel toed boots every day since.

Recently, this summer actually, I've started NOT wearing a helmet. A little strange at first because I was used to it, but it was so dang hot that I decided to try it. 2 things happened - it sure was cooler and more fun AND I have paid more attention to my riding because I know I don't have a helmet.

So, I have been down and no doubt the helmet provided some protection in what was really a minor fall. Still, I think I am a better and more experienced rider now (I now realize that my lay-down could/should have been avoided). And I know how that sounds, but...

A full face helmet and leathers allow me to enjoy riding in what passes for winter here, but leaving both behind allows me to enjoy riding more in the hot summer.

There may not be much logic to it, but I ride to enjoy it, and as long as the law allows I'll choose if and when I wear a helmet. Actually, I'm more concerned with wearing good gloves, as I think my hands or palms would catch more pavement in a non-lethal fall.

I don't know how all that fits into your poll, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

walleye

You started a poll about wearing a helmet and stated the following...

"18 pages and counting on this subject. Lets do a poll and see who is and who is not wearing a helmet."

I replied to that post with this before closing the poll...

"Kind of redundant after 18 pages to start another thread about the same topic, don't ya think?"

I think it is self explanatory and your comment above "Maybe if someone else starts a poll it will be allowed? " is uncalled for and that post would also be closed if this answers your question here. Let's move on to another subject that hasn't been covered before in depth.

The closing of the poll had nothing to do with you in particular starting it as you suggest in your post above.

Back