free website stats program First ride without helmet. | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

First ride without helmet.

I have crashed at over 35 mph without a helmet. Got up dusted myself off, picked up my bike, fired it up and continued on my way. Some scratches on the bike and a bruise on my stomach the next morning, that's it. Not even a scratch or tear in the leather.

I've crashed without a helmet on and walked away as well too. It is our choice whether to ride with or without in some states, but I have lost 2 friends in the last 20 years and try to do my part to convert as many as possible.

I would say always wear a helmet. I know a guy who wore a helmet if he was in a state that required one but woiuld not wear one if it wasn't required. He was killed riding in a statethat didn't require them so he wasn't wearing one.

I have never felt uneasy riding without a helmet nor do I feel better when I wear one but ride with one more often now mainly because it makes my wife feel better and I guess I am trying to set a good example for the kids. I know for all the wrong reasons.

I think these are good reasons, setting good examples for our future riders as personally, I believe in proper gears when riding bikes (not just helmet but proper shoes, etc). I am be wrong but those driving around us may give some respect and give us some rooms if they see that we are riding responsibly...

WS, As is often the case with your posts I agree with pretty much your entire thought, at least in principle on this one anyway.

What I mean in this case is that I agree that we ARE more careful when we feel less safe, (as I am when I collect rent in my rooming house as opposed to my apartment building, or ANYTIME I am driving through gang territory in Atlantic City as opposed to my own neighborhood), but choosing to be more careful because you can't avoid the situation is just the smart thing to do, and where I guess I'd disagree is that anyone should choose an unsafe situation when it can be avoided. In this particular argument, we ALWAYS have a choice, that is, to put the brain bucket where it belongs.

But I see your point, and do agree, like I said, in the principle you're laying out there.

I think the actual % is closer to 98! :D
You know what they call people who don't wear helmets? Organ donors

Back