free website stats program First ride without helmet. | Harley Davidson Forums

First ride without helmet.

Davidw2415

Yesterday I was out for a ride with a freind riding with me on a country road in an area with very little traffic; most of the traffic was other bikes. We decided to try riding without our helmits so I secured them with a cargo net and off we went. I must say we both felt a little uneasy about riding without head protection. I think I'll keep My helmit on from now on.

I think it's all a matter of what you are used to (or how you are brainwashed). I don't wear helmets, unless it's very cold outside and I will be at highway speeds, but my reason is to keep warm. I used to think nothing of it. I love the total open wind feeling.
Now before I catch any heat, I know that helmets are smart to wear. I even make the kids wear a helmet on their little pocket rocket and if they were to ever want a scoot of their own, I would want them to wear a lid. So what impact would it have if they saw dad put one on as opposed to not? For that reason (and a couple others), I am seriously considering buying a half helmet. It'd also make my wife happy.

Ksboy, get that helmet...you have been very fortunate to have beaten the statistics so far...but just 2 years ago, accidents have exceeded the 1990 highest levels and ridership is actually going down...meaning the odds of being in an accident are getting higher all the time, especially in the over 45 crowd, once the least represented in those statistics...kept by NTSA and published in the Hurt Report.

Yesterday I was out for a ride with a freind riding with me on a country road in an area with very little traffic; most of the traffic was other bikes. We decided to try riding without our helmits so I secured them with a cargo net and off we went. I must say we both felt a little uneasy about riding without head protection. I think I'll keep My helmit on from now on.
If you felt a little uneasy, then you were probably be a little more careful and attentive. feeling "safe" is the first step to being careless or reckless. I'm not saying when when your wearing a helmet you are careless or reckless but I do believe all the laws to keep us "safe" are a very large factor in the amount of careless and reckless jerks behind the wheel of cars.
I wear a helmet in Wa., I usually wear a helmet in Idaho, I have noticed that when I don't wear a helmet I try to be extra careful.

Ksboy, get that helmet...you have been very fortunate to have beaten the statistics so far...but just 2 years ago, accidents have exceeded the 1990 highest levels and ridership is actually going down...meaning the odds of being in an accident are getting higher all the time, especially in the over 45 crowd, once the least represented in those statistics...kept by NTSA and published in the Hurt Report.
88% of Statistics are bias toward the agenda that the organization that does the research is promoting.:s

I have never felt uneasy riding without a helmet nor do I feel better when I wear one but ride with one more often now mainly because it makes my wife feel better and I guess I am trying to set a good example for the kids. I know for all the wrong reasons.

Helmets have been the law here for as long as I've been riding, so its second nature to me to wear one. I took a trip to Arkansas in June, and rode without one for a short trip. I really enjoyed the wind in my hair, but still felt better with the helmet on.

Like others have said, it depends on what you are used to. I never wear a helmet unless I am in a state that requires it. If you are more comfortable wearing a helmet, then by all means wear it. Enjoying the ride is what it is all about.

Having gone down a couple of times with helmets on and seeing the big abrasions they took and realizing that would have been my scalp if I didn't have it on makes me want to always ride with one.

Ya, kinda keeps all that gray matter where its supposed to be if you go down. Is that a no brainer LOL

Back