free website stats program Easy Clutch Adjustment Method | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method

I'm about ready to do this adjustment.

I just want to verify something about the adjustment of the cable.

Note where the arrow is pointing in the attached pic.

Is this where I'm looking to adjust "free play at the lever for 1/16"-1/8" ....." right where it goes into the lever bracket?

I noticed my setting does change from Cold to Hot. I adjusted mine when the bike was Cold and it was way too tight when the bike got Hot. (you would think it would be the other way around).. I also noticed the clearance close up a bit when the bike was under-power and everything torqued over.

My point is, I would make sure I had my free play setting while riding under all conditions, while Hot.:p

Well, I hate to be the first in this thread to admit it......but apparently I'm the exception to the "foolproof" method.

I thought I had followed the instructions perfectly. But when it was all said and done I obviously did something wrong.

I pulled in the clutch lever and shifted to 1st. No problem. Very easy and no noise or bang at all.

But when I let the clutch lever out........nothing. Bike didn't budge.

I went back 3 times and performed the procedure. No luck.

I then tried the method from the shop manual. The clutch is engaging now but with a very harsh and loud bang into first. That can't be right.

I did not mark or count threads before I started this whole effort so I have no way of putting it back to where it was before I started. :bigsmiley29:

Not sure what my next step is. :small3d023:

I've reviewed the procedure several times and I'm at a loss to discover where I muffed it.

Well, I hate to be the first in this thread to admit it......but apparently I'm the exception to the "foolproof" method.

I thought I had followed the instructions perfectly. But when it was all said and done I obviously did something wrong.

I've reviewed the procedure several times and I'm at a loss to discover where I muffed it.

Hard to say where you went wrong because you did not state the steps you took while making the adjustment.

Pay special attention to position 2:20 of the movie. I think that is where you are not clear. If you are adjusting it according to movie, the noise (clank) you hear is normal. Make Sure you do this adjustment when bike is stone cold.

I'll make another attempt tomorrow.

After looking around the net I'm wondering if the ball and ramp were forward. It seems this could be my problem.

As to the steps I took......The instructions at the begining of the thread were followed just as they were posted. That's why I can't figure what I have done wrong other than the ball and ramp being in the wrong position for adjustment of the allen screw.

Is this a possibility?

I'll make another attempt tomorrow.

After looking around the net I'm wondering if the ball and ramp were forward. It seems this could be my problem.

Is this a possibility?

I would think that would be remote.
Make sure that the adjusting stud is not moving while tightening the jam nut. (maybe?)

If you follow this you will be good to go:
Entire primary case/clutch must be stone cold. Slide rubber boot down onto cable . Loosen jam nut the Cable adjuster. Screw "IN" cable end so the clutch lever is flopping in the Breeze. Clutch lever at this time is just loose and flopping in the breeze. Remove Derby cover. Loosen jam nut. Turn adjust screw (stud) counterclockwise until loose. Turn clockwise (using fingers only) just until you feel it touch the clutch pack. Now turn stud counterclockwise (loosen it) 3/4 turn. Hold that position of stud using allen wrench while tightening jam nut. Install Derby cover.

At this point your clutch lever is still flopping in the breeze.... Go back to cable adjuster. Now "screw out" cable adjustment (at cable boot) until you have the 1/8" lever free play at clutch lever. Tighten jam nut on cable. Your done..

I use Formular+ in primary and gear box. HD gearboxes do not have synchronizers in them. They will Clank. Especially from neutral to 1st, and if you catch it just right, it will be loud. It's perfectly normal.

An easy test to double check your work. You should be able to::
Engine running, clutch lever pulled all the way in, transmission in 1st,,,
you should be able to release the clutch lever about 3/4" to 1" before bike begins to start pulling away. And as long as you have that 1/8" cable free play @ lever,, you are good to go.

Thanks for the input! :)

I'll try your advice. I'm sure I'll get it figured out one way or another.

OK...I'm close.

Followed the video method. Clutch engages fine with the lever about 1" from the bar.

Only thing is it bangs pretty solid going into first.

Haven't ridden it (rainin' heavy). Just shifted thru a couple of gears in the garage.

The adjustment at the lever is good. Maybe I don't have the adjuster screw at the clutch just right. Backed it out about 1/2 turn from where I felt the slight resistance on the screw while turning it in (righty tighty).

With engine running, transmission in 1st, clutch pulled in All the way,, does the bike want to move forward at ALL? If the answer to that is no, and if you have a good 3/4 inch of lever travel before you have the slightest forward movement, I would say you are good to go.

Your not running some crazy weight primary lube are you?

NO....not at all. Just starts to grab at close to 1" from the bar...say 3/4" to 1" or so.

I'm using Spectro 75/140 in trans and Spectro Primary Chaincase.

I let it warm up a bit and it's quieted down now on the shift. I think I'm good.

Thanks for all the input and patience guys! :)

Back