free website stats program Easy Clutch Adjustment Method | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method

The clunking is pretty much normal and especially in the cold before warm up, they do get worse with the lower temps. A clutch adjustment based on where the handle is grabbing isn't a bad idea.

Mr. Data , I tried your easy clutch adjustment and the Primary Auto adjustment riding in first gear,rear brake method. Wow !! what a difference..smooth ..I been telling all my friends about it.
A buddy of mine got a SE Softail and was wondering how to adjust the Hyd, Clutch.Since there is no cable ,I guess it's all done in the clutch basket area .
Is there a write up on this..I looked and was unable to find it.
This site is great, Thanks for all the tips..Rod

Remove derby cover. Loosen bleed screw with hose to redirect any fluid discharge.
Loosen clutch lock nut and screw in adjust screw until clutch piston bottoms out lightly. Tighten bleed screw and back off adjust screw 1/2 to 3/4 turn. This will give you full travel on piston. 1/2 to 3/4 "slop" will come out first time you cycle clutch lever. Tighten lock nut and reinstall derby cover.

Mr. Data, You are the MAN! That is a great way to do it. What with all your knowledge of Harley's I must ask you if you worked for H-D at some point or were you a scooter in a previous life?

I'm about ready to do this adjustment.

I just want to verify something about the adjustment of the cable.

Note where the arrow is pointing in the attached pic.

Is this where I'm looking to adjust "free play at the lever for 1/16"-1/8" ....." right where it goes into the lever bracket?

i just wonder if something may have happened to the pushrod itself ,,,, maybe even something to do with the p ocket or whatever its called on the right side . i know throwout bearing, etc. maybe you should take a look at the ball ramp and the pushrod lenght. just an idea. i am a bit more to working on older clutch stuff

ck. condition of the pushrod ,, lenghth etc. if o.k. pull side cover and ck pushrod pocket on that side of things , sounds to me something is or has abnormal wear maybe pull adj. screw all the way out and measure it for proper lenght. then again if youve been slipping the disc for that long they may just be worn. strange very strange.

Back