free website stats program Ear Plugs? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ear Plugs?

I wear foam ear plugs, the kind that you roll up and quickly insert before they expand. I use them everytime I ride.
BTW: I have hearing aids that I usually don't bring on rides, I have severe tinnitis that is more pronounced after long, long rides. I make my kids wear them cutting grass, hammering, riding on dad's motorcycle, and any other time to avoid them having to wear hearing aids. Once it's gone, it doesn't come back.

I never used ear plugs but I am going to from now on, 3 nights ago I was heading home and going about 30 mph when a bug landed on my hemet strap when I tried to knock it off it climbed into my ear! I am not joking either; I was within a mile of my house and I almost dumped my bike 3 times. I've never felt such pain in my life, I got to the house and the wife had to take me to the hospital and have it removed. I dont know if this has ever happend to anybody else but let me tell you it hurts bad. I know this will get alot of laughs but if ever happens to any of you, I promise you wont be laughing untill a day or two goes by.

I never used ear plugs but I am going to from now on, 3 nights ago I was heading home and going about 30 mph when a bug landed on my hemet strap when I tried to knock it off it climbed into my ear! I am not joking either; I was within a mile of my house and I almost dumped my bike 3 times. I've never felt such pain in my life, I got to the house and the wife had to take me to the hospital and have it removed. I dont know if this has ever happend to anybody else but let me tell you it hurts bad. I know this will get alot of laughs but if ever happens to any of you, I promise you wont be laughing untill a day or two goes by.

If that happens again,all you have to do is to heat up some olive oil or cooking oil to ,say,"warm" temp and pour it into your ear slowly.This will float that little sucker right out of your otic canal and back into the wide world again.:s

I wore ear plugs yesterday for the first time ever on a bike. It makes such a difference, gets rid of all that wind roar that bugs the hell out of me, and has done for 30 years.

I've just bought my first Harley and I'm glad to say i can still hear the motor, and still hold conversations when I get to the gas station, but the wind noise is adiosed totally.

I wear ear plugs in bed when I'm working offshore, and a rather gross trick I use is to lick them before I put them in, just give them a wet, slip them in, push them as far as they'll go. Saves all that messing about trying to squeeze them thin and get them located before they grow again.

:newsmile016:

Okay, I finally tried the ear plugs, I like it. I experimented with the lawn mower, and for the mower (and shooting), I like the foamy kind, but for the bike, I have some plugs that are smaller, not as 'deafening' but it really cuts out the excessive noise. I can talk normally and hear the traffic around me. I kind of think that if you even just put tape over your ears it would help with the wind noise. I would give you more specifics about the plugs, but I have had them for years and I'm not sure if they were from where I had an ear infection or if they are just noise attenuators left over from when I worked the air shows. I think they are the latter, but not positive.

BTW Cuznjed, your bug in the ear story is better than me hitting a bat this evening. (Yes the kind that fly around at night). :D

Perfect timing... I wear a half helmet, and have ridden my RK for 30K miles.... without earplugs.

Today, I decided to detach the windscreen, and ride to work.... NEVER AGAIN!!! Wind noise was unbearable, started just above 30 MPH... couldn't hear the motor, or the tires, or other cars...hated it.

So, before going home tonight, I will stop and buy a pair of plugs.... and as soon as I get home, the windscreen goes back on!

Back