free website stats program Ear Plugs? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ear Plugs?

Drew

Who here wears ear plugs when riding? Also, what kind of helmet (if any) do you wear? What have your experiences been with wearing ear plugs?

thanks
Drew

As I dont have a wind screen, and louder pipes, I wear the silicone plugs that you can shape to the inner ear. You can flatten them out to block noise as desired. This allows me to hear the exhaust and my engine, without the blast of wind in my ears. You have to pay attention, though, to traffic around you, as a cage can sneak up on you, without you hearing it, as I discovered when a cop pulled me over after following me for about four blocks and asked me why I didnt pull over when he told me to, using his PA system. Then he noticed my ear plugs...he was not too happy. Some states, it is against the law to wear plugs.

I always use plugs when I wear an open helmet. None of the ear plugs can completely make you deaf, you will hear sthg but not as clear as before. paying more attention to sound signals that you poorly hear will tire you less than trying to hear when you lose your hearing ability. my job requires me to work in engine halls which has more than 120dB noise level, so I am little bit more sensitive about the subject. (i.e. staying by the napier turbo charger on full load with bare ears for 2 minutes causes losing %5 of your hearing ability)

I tried them for about a block, and pulled them suckers out. Sure it cuts down on the wind blowing in your ear sound, but not that much, maybe its ok on a long ride, but other than that I don't think its worth it.

I just turn my hearing aids off.
Of course, if I had worn some hearing protection when I was young (and knew everything), That would not be an option!
....Just saying....

I work in a machine shop and use ear plugs all of the time. When I ride I also use them. Wind noise bothers me the most. I didn't use them before when riding. But 2 years ago I started to hear a buzzing noise all the time or ringing. started using the spark plug ear plugs which are a soft foam that forms to your ear. Since I started using them my ears have stopped ringing. You can still hear the engine & pipes and people talking..

I've been meaning to try them, but I keep forgetting to put them in...:) I have had them in my pocket the last few rides, they are getting closer. :D

I never wear them in the city, because i rarely get going fast enough to have the wind be a bother for me. but, when i am on a ride on the highway, you bet your butt that i wear earplugs! doint get me wrong, i hate them and cannot wait to pull them out, however, my hearing is a very important thing and i dont want to loose it knowing it could have been prevented.

thanks for the all the replies. I always wear a FF helmet, so I figured that was plenty of noise protection. Plus, I haven't done many interstate rides yet (I'm new to riding) so I guess I haven't really noticed any adverse effects. But, the more I read, the more I have learned that even when wearing a FF helmet, ear plugs are important to wear on longer rides when travelling at speed... this view seems to be confirmed by the replies here.

I just bought some from Walgreens (29 decibel, or something). Can I assume that as long as they fit well and are comfortable, that these are o.k.?

Thanks again
Drew
800+ miles and counting!

Last edited:
Back