free website stats program Dropped the bike. Ouch! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dropped the bike. Ouch!

Is the guy in the vid geting on and off the bike on the wrong side??

I was taught to alway get on a bike from the "right side" (as you are sittining). The handle bars are turned to the left, so the frame is more open and you can grab the brake. If for some reason (rare) you fell and caused the bike to tip over, you will more likely be on top of it, rather than pulling it down on top of you (if you are on the left side and grab some thing to stop your fall).

The sound of the bike hitting the ground in the video is like "nails on a chalkboard" to me....:cry

We take so much pride in our rides it is hard not to try and save it, but once you are past a certain point, the bike is going down and trying to save it could easily invite injury that takes a long time to heal. I slipped on a stone, backing up in my driveway and went down. I just let it go. Scratches add character! Bolting on a foot peg was much more preferable then a broken ankle, leg, torn knee, strained back etc.

I think almost anyone can pick up a heavyweight bike by using the proper technique. I like Paladino's video for learning the technique as well as gaining riding skills. I dropped my Fatboy at very low speed, damage only to pride, picked it up easily using leg power, no back strain. Rock on.
Ishmael

First thing that went on my new to me Heritage this spring was the "crash" bars, insurance companies like to refer to them as engine guards. Having rode many bikes for many years before family and other responsibilities forced the riding break, I dropped many of them multiple times. Sometimes even sober!!

I laid my new one down too and couldn't believe there was absolutely no damage. I expected it to just fall apart. It happens.

Its going to happen, I like to damage the paint when I drop mine:D

Makes ya want to cry but in the end nobody hurt, thats the important thing.

Yep, been there. It likes to happen to folks when coming to a stop with 2 up or just plain moving it around in the garage. I've been riding most of my life and I thought I knew what I was doing until I bought the Ride Like a Pro video. Anyone can ride straight down the road but if you really want to be a good rider there are some really basic stuff you should know that doesn't come naturally. Those bike cops in the video are fine riders and I have learned quite a bit.

I've dropped my Electraglide numerous times for various reasons and I was always able to pick it up by myself. I'm 5'8" and weigh 170 lbs. No Problem!

I am also a member of the "I dropped my new Harley" club.

Had my new 08 Electraglide Classic for all of a week when I was backing it in to a parking spot with wife still on the back. Over we went....

Fortunately for me, I had the presence of mind to check on the wife and make sure she was ok before I checked out the bike. :sd

Now I know what all those nice shiny chrome guards are for. No damage at all to the bike other than a scrape on the underside of one of the mufflers. At the time, I couldn't believe there was no damage.

Picked the bike up easily using the technique shown in the video. My pride however did take a bit of a beating that day...

Now the wife gets off before I try backing the bike up.... Always ensure that my motorcycle footwear has good soles on them as well for grip.

Last year I stoped at the light in town,,,the road was angled alot to the left and put my left foot down not thinking ....Didnt go over but I will not do that again...:sd...One time when I was young I closed down the bar.,one of maney times .I was a little lets say feeling good...Went to get on my bike.....Well I droped it a few times ,I dont rember the ride home.....Only good thing is I was riding a honda...Some of the things I did ...Im glad I quit drinking...:D

Yes it happens to everyone who rides any amount. Even worse is the attempting to ride with sidestand still down. I have a habit of always lifting stand as soon as I get on a bike. We had stopped somewhere on a ride and we were gonna dismount. Kicked out my stand when someone just rode up and said. "Hey lets go to this place instead !!!" So we all fired our bikes and away we went. Yes, my sided stand was still down. Didn't take long to "REMEMBER" hahahaha. Luckily didn't lose control but my pride suffered some. All a part of riding. Wouldn't trade it for the world. :newsmile07:

Back