free website stats program Deer Horn ... Yes or No | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Deer Horn ... Yes or No

No. I'd save my money and buy better head lights or eye protection. Deer are going to bolt out in front of you if you like it or not. Especially when your not expecting it. Be careful.

I agree with an earlier post that it merely gets their attention. It doesn't tell them to move out of the way! I'm sure they hear my Harley coming with or without the whistle. Most of the time they just look up and continue eating along side the road. I am always vigilant for deer. I would hate to see a false sense of security because of these contraptions. I used to blow the horn whenever I saw a deer. That was until I scared one into the road. I now SLOW DOWN in case I had to stop suddenly.

I'm thinking that a cattle guard on the front of the bike would be more useful and pull a trailer with a cooler in it. :D Ok, not funny. Sorry. The little critters will jump out no matter what you have mounted on your scooter. Best thing is to slow down, keep an eye out for any movement and just be on top of your game. I live here in the northwest and deer are thick as flea's. And...watch for the elk, they will really mess up your evening.
Ugly John

My old riding partner at work decided to get one for his police bike. he mounted it under the head light above the fender this was a brand new bike. The first time he hit a dip in the road his shock travel allowed it to dent the front fender on the top. This is not where you want to mount yours if you get one. I live in Alabama and we have more than our fair share of road kills here. God Bless, Mark72.

I live in a heavy deer area , the best thing you can do is train yourself to look on each side of the road as far as you can see then scan your way back it takes time to get use to this and you have to be extremly alert , at nite you will need to be more alert also dawn and dusk ,deer tend to move more at these times ,but if you can train your eye to continusly scan the sides of the road you will learn how to spot them , at nite there eyes reflect yellow and you can pick up on this ,and also 9 x out of 10 a deer will continue in his path another words deer rarly turn around , if they have in there mind to cross there going across the road .I would invest in some good lites that reach out and lite the sides of the road rather then somthing I know that does not work.

A word to the wise regarding deer, where there's one there's likely another close behind. Always watch for the second, third or fourth ... Although I'm quite sure the jury's still out on the effectiveness of the deer alert horns or whistles, the best way to avoid a "deer collision" is by being aware of the territory you are driving through, attentively scanning the roadside ahead, and keep practiced up on your emergency stop 'til it becomes a reflex reaction to danger.

Thanks, to all! From the sounds of it this is a waste of time and money, so I will save my $$ for more chrome. :D

I wasn't looking for a false sense of security but rather a deterrent. I ran over a deer with a 93 cavalier one time and let me tell you, that was no fun! And yes I did say ran over, not a scratch on the car! Lots of hair though.

I replaced my head light with the Osram 80/100, probably the best thing out there I could do. Although this doesn't help in the daytime. While out in the country on the nice back roads I tend to slow down and take it all in anyways. Just never can be too safe.

While out Monday we came upon a heard of 10-12, while I slowed down to admire their beauty and stay clear of their path, my father in law dang near rear ended me.

Stay safe

I think they're mostly voodoo too sort of like the things you plug into your outlet to get rid of bugs and mice.

Leaving on a long tour soon and considering buying a Deer Horn for my Ultra. Will be riding in the northwest to the northeast and wondering if a Deer Horn would not be a good investment if they work. Any thoughts or experiences?
I have one on my CVO, it's from Kuryakin, it's electric and it emits a steady, high pitch noise. Does it work?.........well I ain't hit a Deer, an the ones I have seen seem to know I'm here, or at least they are looking for me. Does it tell them to run away, no and if something has scared them towards the road, I don't think it would change there flight path. I tried it on a pick-up full of dogs when I first put it on and they got really (EDIT) and barked at me, so I know it does something. It don't however replace common sence, if your in a Deer area........watch out for DEER!

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the cheap whistles on my bike, dont know or trust them. 5 bucs was worth a try. Then I put an extra 20 in the offering plate at church( covering that base just in case)
t

Back