free website stats program Deer Horn ... Yes or No | Harley Davidson Forums

Deer Horn ... Yes or No

Hoopie

Leaving on a long tour soon and considering buying a Deer Horn for my Ultra. Will be riding in the northwest to the northeast and wondering if a Deer Horn would not be a good investment if they work. Any thoughts or experiences?

My wife works for a company that has them on their vans. They are the kind that comes on when the engine starts and makes sound all the time. She says when the deer are standing beside the road when she goes by, they raise there heads and look and then continue eating or whatever. These units are rather expensive, but her company seems to think they work.

Hoopie glad you brought this up. I have no idea what a deer horn is but I am thinking about putting a deer whistle on but don't know if they work.

Has anyone used this before. If you have where did you put them? Pictures would me nice.

Thanks All

Google "deer horn" or "deer whistle". From what I remember, it seems if the deer DO react to them, they were not told to run AWAY from them, and may bound into the road.:(

Yeah I think they call them Deer whistles in Mo. coz seem like they call em up more than scare them..only thing i found so far that make em jump back in the woods every time so far..is a 139 decimal Air horn...

TwistedThrottle.com : Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Motorcycle Air Horn, 139 dB, Black or Chrome - Stebel
..and trust me..the deer are as bad in Missouri in the daytime as they are at night....

Living in the Pinebarrens of NJ, we are exposed to a whole lot of deer. In all my years of looking at them, hunting them, and having to endure their antics during the rut season, I can tell you that they are the type of animal that gets used to anything. I honestly believe that you could pass a herd of deer grazing and sound an air horn, and while they might scatter the first few times, after a while, they will just ignore it. While these deer warning devices have their place, they don't take the place of riding with extreme caution when you are in heavily populated deer areas. Keep your eyes glancing towards the side of the road, and remember, with does, where there is one, there is sure to be a few more. That is, when a doe bolts across the road, be ready for all of her girlfriends to follow within a few seconds....

Back