free website stats program Dealer getting better at tire change scam | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer getting better at tire change scam

liberty harley in rahway nj and thier service manager anthony would never even think about pulling that stuff i just had new tires put on my bike a 07 rk and i wanted michelin commanders he quoted me a price of 320 for the tires plus 100 bucks for mounting and balancing when i told him i could get them online at the motorcycle superstore 100 bucks cheaper he said no problem at that price he could understand why i wanted to purchase them elsewhere and he would still be glad to mount them on the bike. i've been dealing with anthony since i purchased the bike in june of 07 which by the way was'nt purchased from liberty and he has never complained about my bringing in stuff i bought elsewhere he was happy to get the work and thats why i pay the higher labor cost at the dealer they treat me great.

They've treated you a lot better than they've treated me . Although, the parts guys are pretty good guys. I only go there if it's something I need quickly to get on the road.

I am always amazed at anyone thinking that a business should mount a tire; or install anything available for purchase at the business.

It is a bit like taking your own hamburger to McDonald's to have them cook it for you.

If I sold tires... I wouldn't installl a tire that wasn't purchased from me. I would tell you to have your internet-store mount it for you.

Sorry... but that's the way I feel about it.

Harbor Freight sells a manual tire changer with available motorcycle attachment. Under $100 for the pair at retail. They often go on sale. A real lifesaver for do-it-yourself tire installs. I rode a sportbike for 10 years and dealer tire prices would have driven me out of retirement, and the tires rarely get over 10k miles. Mark Parnes sells a nifty balancer also.

I prefer taking the wheels off myself as its much easier to get them cleaned up and a good wax, rejex or whatever applied. The dealer isn't going to do that for you.

I tried taking off the Dunlops on my last metric touring bike, with tire irons, rim protectors, etc and did nothing but bugger up the rims. What a pia. Wound up limping into the dealer and had them unmount for me. The tech stated that dunlops have one of the hardest carcass of any tire made. Went to bridgestones on that bike, and probably won't be putting dunlops back on this bike when the time comes for a change. They're already singing to me, and they're brand new.

In my riding experience there are MANY shops that only install tires they sell and few that will install anything that you bring in. I've done it both ways, supporting the shop with purchase and by buying my own and finding the shop to install them. Even considered buying the changing tool to do my own (but then who would I blame for nicked rims :)?). Plus and minuses of all routes. It isnt a scam, just a business decision on the shops part and it may have something to do with insurance but I dont know....do your tires the way you want and dont worry about it. If you want to support your local dealer, do so, you will be glad they are there when you need them for something more urgent. If you want to buy all the equipment and do it, go for it. If you find a local shop that will install anything you drag in and want that route, do that...all options.

I get my Avon tires on-line, and change them myself. Harbor Freight sells a pretty good setup. Not a big deal to peal a tire off and mount the new one back on...I balance my wheel and tire also. I know it's been done correctly, makes me feel better. I spend the saved money, that's never a problem.

Thorns

my local dealer ran a $99.00 oem tire special, the last time i needed a new rear tire. after the new tube required, balance, labor,shop fees and tire disposal fee the bill came to $225.xx. the tire was sold at a good price but the shop made up for any revenue loss. live and learn...

Back