free website stats program Dealer getting better at tire change scam | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer getting better at tire change scam

I have no problem changing the tire myself but, how do you accurately balance the tire at home?

The last thing I would want is a wobble resulting from an improperly balanced tire.

Static balance. You set 2 beams on saw horses (2 builders levels will work great) about 6' long with enough space in between for the tire and with the axle in set it on the beams. Make sure the beams are level and equal height, then see where the tire bottoms out. Now put lead weights on the rim at the top of the tire with tape at first until it stops bottoming out. You should be able to stop it anywhere and it will stay.

If the market supports charging hundreds of dollars for tire changes, then I guess there is plenty of customers willing to pay.

I say no thank you and look for someone else to handle these tasks. (or do it myself)

Maybe that's what the dealer wants but, if the majority of customers take a pass on tire changes than maybe they'll reconsider their rates?

Naw.....what was I thinking!!!!!

lawnmowerman I agree 100%. I don't plan to come off retirement to have tires changed. I try to spend money wisely if possible. Some times you have no choice and got ta spend it.

Static balance. You set 2 beams on saw horses (2 builders levels will work great) about 6' long with enough space in between for the tire and with the axle in set it on the beams. Make sure the beams are level and equal height, then see where the tire bottoms out. Now put lead weights on the rim at the top of the tire with tape at first until it stops bottoming out. You should be able to stop it anywhere and it will stay.

I want to try this myself as I like to learn all I can about my ride. What tools required and how much time to change tires on front / rear on a Ultra? THX
:)

My dealer wanted like $550 plus tax for me buying front & back tires plus mounting, balancing. I ordered new tires on line, removed wheels myself, had indy change and balance, re-mounted wheels myself all for under $300. It wasn't that difficult and I saved substantially.

I always take the wheels in and tires I have purchased online. The last time they mounted one tire with the arrow going the wrong way. When I brought it to their attention they said it didn't matter but there was no way I was going to ride like that so I managed to convince them otherwise. Next tiime I'm going to try and take the old tires off myself and take it from there. I guess if we could change Duce N Half tires using a pick to break the bead in a past life then I should be able to manage this. Also I like knowing the bearings and axel are lubed and the bolts are torqued properly - Bob

The last time they mounted one tire with the arrow going the wrong way. When I brought it to their attention they said it didn't matter but there was no way I was going to ride like that so I managed to convince them otherwise. Bob

Does not matter? In the Rain, the tire treads would do exactly opposite what there designed to do. As the tire rolled, you would channel or cup the water to the middle of the tire and you would have hydroplaned.

It is Good you insisted and got them to turn it around.

I always take the wheels in and tires I have purchased online. The last time they mounted one tire with the arrow going the wrong way. When I brought it to their attention they said it didn't matter but there was no way I was going to ride like that so I managed to convince them otherwise. Next tiime I'm going to try and take the old tires off myself and take it from there. I guess if we could change Duce N Half tires using a pick to break the bead in a past life then I should be able to manage this. Also I like knowing the bearings and axel are lubed and the bolts are torqued properly - Bob

I always draw arrows in the direction of travel on both sides of the rim, sprocket and rotor. The dude changing my tire may not know which side is which, and I'm covered.:coffee

To Break the bead on a motorcycle tyre i use a large g clamp and a bit of wood over the other side of the wheel the clamp will push the bead off its seat as you tighten it a little bit of extra help from large tyre leaver may be required
just got to get the swivel head of the clamp in the right place

Brian

Back