free website stats program Dealer getting better at tire change scam | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer getting better at tire change scam

This was one of those areas that I thought as a do it yourselfer I had to try and after completing it was amazed at how simple it is. I did a You Tube search on how to change a motorcycle tire and couldn't believe all the heplfull info I got, espcialy when it came to balancing the tire. I have no hesitation in diong it again. Saved a bunch at Dennis Kirk on the tires.:p

As an Indy, I just want to bring up one point. Both the tire change and balancer cost on an average off around $3,500 each. The labor charge to change and balance a tire will cover the mechanic but not pay for the equipment itself. That said, I do allow people to bring in their own tire but I do also charge $10.00 more for the change which is pretty much standard in our area.

I believe there is something to the insurance statement. The Indy I use has the same policy. He said it was due to his insurance. If the price is within 20%, I would by from the Indy.

Liked stated above, I think it is important to support my local Indy.

I am all for supporting Harley dealerships. I want them to stay in business for I love Harley motorcycles. I don't want to ride anything else. I am also in the business of saving as much money as I can for my survival. It is all about give and take. Those that only try to take, won't keep me coming back. I ride an hour or more to good servicing dealers, passing by a dealer that is only 8 minutes from my home because that one is very lax on customer service.

I would really question the insurance justification since the liability for the tire would be the tire OEM not the reseller or even the installer unless they really screwed up the install. If you can take the wheels off yourself, most decent dealers will cut you a labor break even if you have to buy from the. On the same note, if they can't match the price on the tires, you just let them know that you would like to use the shop, but financially you're going to an independent.

Its sad, but the dealers really don't seem to want to work for your business. The ones that do, are the ones that are a step above the rest and generally get your business.

I would really question the insurance justification since the liability for the tire would be the tire OEM not the reseller or even the installer unless they really screwed up the install. If you can take the wheels off yourself, most decent dealers will cut you a labor break even if you have to buy from the. On the same note, if they can't match the price on the tires, you just let them know that you would like to use the shop, but financially you're going to an independent.

Its sad, but the dealers really don't seem to want to work for your business. The ones that do, are the ones that are a step above the rest and generally get your business.

It might eliminate someone bringing in a "blemished", "second" of used tire. That might change the liability.

Ive always done my own tyres ive never been in a harley davidson dealership because there are none around here i think there are 2 in the south of the country and my local metric bike dealer doe not like harleys because his tools dont fit
i could take the wheels to a car tyre place and they would fit for me but that would be about a 90 minute round trip plus the time it takes to change the tyre
having done the task many times and i have all the hand tolls it does not take long to change a tyre

Brian

As an Indy, I just want to bring up one point. Both the tire change and balancer cost on an average off around $3,500 each. The labor charge to change and balance a tire will cover the mechanic but not pay for the equipment itself. That said, I do allow people to bring in their own tire but I do also charge $10.00 more for the change which is pretty much standard in our area.

That certainly sounds fair to me! :coffee

Do it once or twice it's not that bad to do yourself and you don't have some 16 year old monkey working on your pride and joy. Couple tire spoones and a valve core remover and a tire pump.

I have no problem changing the tire myself but, how do you accurately balance the tire at home?

The last thing I would want is a wobble resulting from an improperly balanced tire.

Back