free website stats program Buy local or mail order | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Buy local or mail order

You hit it right on the head, "$40 is $40". Sometimes I do buy locally if the difference isn't that much, and if the business I'm considering the purchase from has done it's part to win my trust and business. Don't feel bad about seeking out the best deal.

I always buy local but I don't always use the same dealer. The main dealer I do buy from offers a $50 gift card for every $500 spent so It's kinda like a 10% discount, all it does though is makes me go in and spend more but then again that's half the fun in owning a HD. If we want to continue to ride and enjoy our Harley's we need to support our dealers as much as we can otherwise they may dissapear.

Nice thing about a Harley is that everybody makes something for it. They can make it better and cheaper. So I don't buy Harley unless I absolutely have to. I can buy engines, transmissions, brakes, suspension, seats, batteries. I myself don't really care if I have a dealer or not, here in Canada they put the boots to you. When I go snow birding in the winter I stock up on filters and tires and plugs, what ever I think I will need for my Canadian riding season. And I always can ship to friends in Michigan.
kemo

you might check with rochester hd of rochester, nh. They have the motorcycle value program (mvp). I think i paid $60.00 to join. I get an automatic 15% discount and free shipping to my house. I also get another 5% off because i bought a used bike from them for an automatic 20% off and i just ordered a new bike so that will be an additional 5 - 10% off.

I also find what i want on line, call them, and tell them what i want, who has it, and what they want for it. They have never failed to beat an online price for a new hd part even if it is on e-bay.

i grew up in Rochester in the 70's can't believe they have a dealership.

I support my shop in central florida on some items not all. I also have found some items cheaper at my dealer ( space coast harley)

Last edited:
Just be sure to verify HIS MSRP price with the ACTUAL MSRP price.

My local dealership played a game by jacking up the price of common parts (filters, gaskets, o-rings) by 10% OVER MSRP. Then he turns around and says "Your a good customer so you get 10% off"

That of course just brings it back down to True MSRP.

And when I told him that I knew of his game, he did the side shuffle.

I usually have the toy book or website open when I call for availability and pricing, that's how I found out that my dealer was asking MORE than MSRP for a service manual... And they still wouldn't discount it...

I get the discount with out even asking . All the chorme on my RG and FB came from dealer even the stuff that is not HD parts they had the best price and in many case product on hand.

Maybe this is part of my problem... No added chrome or other bling... All I have purchased to date is raingear, helmets, filters, and oils... oh ya, and a few shirts... Nice to see you have a decent dealer...

When you live in Spain and the nearest dealer (not very recommendable) is 100 miles away, the answer is easy: mail orders rule!
WAP.gif

I guess you can thank the Motor Company for high prices. They are the ones who insist that a dealer have the high visibility and fancy stores and show rooms and loads of inventory. I know that you all know that dealers profits on clothing and accessories are high.
kemo

I guess you can thank the Motor Company for high prices. They are the ones who insist that a dealer have the high visibility and fancy stores and show rooms and loads of inventory. I know that you all know that dealers profits on clothing and accessories are high.
kemo

Kemo you nailed this one, The MOCO can force dealers to build new stores or loose there franchise, That is what happened to Limey and his wife in St Augustine Florida

With all things, I do try to support local shops/stores etc...However, when the price is way out of line with 'online' stuff, I'll go with the online. On a $100 item, if local is within 25 bucks, I'll go with local..not a hard and fast 'rule' but one that works ok for me. I'm fortunate to have a pretty darn good Harley dealer near me and, a fine Indy also close. I try to support them if possible.

Back