free website stats program Buy local or mail order | Harley Davidson Forums

Buy local or mail order

EnjoyingTheRyde

I just priced an adjustable rider backrest and install kit for my 09 SG. Four dealers all within 1 1/2 hours of me. All want retail... $310... I'm looking at a 13% discount through mail order after shipping... I want to buy local BUT $40 is $40... What would you do?:coffee

I can't afford to buy local a lot of the time so I buy online.
Have you checked out Zannotti or Chicago HD online for pricing?
Steve, do you know if you must be a "member" to order online with Zannotti's??

I went to their website and had difficulty navigating their site - couldn't even find anything I was looking for. (I know I am computer challenged)

Bill

Last edited:
While I agree that some of the time it is cheaper to buy online, if you consider what the dealer has to offer and what the dealer has to pay in overhead to keep the dealership open, you have to think if it is worth not supporting the local dealer. If you belong to HOG many times there is a discount applied to the retail price. If the part you want doesn't have any discount ask for one. I have also purchased parts at 40% to 50% discount that have been removed from new bikes that have been upgraded. Yes I do buy some things on line, but I understand that if we don't support the local shop it may not be here tomorrow.

No you don't need to be a member to order from Zanotti's. A member here suggested I check out there price for Tappets and they were $33 a piece instead of the $55 I paid at the dealer. I was also able to return some parts I ordered from them that I really didn't need after all - Bob

That is really unfortunate that your local dealers won't work with you on it. I approached my selling dealer with the same dilema and was also told no so.......I went to the dealer that is closer to my house, they said no problem and I have never been back into my selling dealer again. They need to realize that with the technology of the internet, they will be left behind sooner or later and that they need us more than we need them.

I can't afford to buy local a lot of the time so I buy online.
Have you checked out Zannotti or Chicago HD online for pricing?

Yup, thats where I found the best price so far, Chicago is about $5 less than Zanotti after shipping...

Steve, do you know if you must be a "member" to order online with Zannotti's??

I went to their website and had difficulty navigating their site - couldn't even find anything I was looking for. (I know I am computer challenged)

Bill

From their homepage go to Shop online/price quote then Shopping cart/price quote... You do need HD part number from the toy book or the HD website though...

You might check with Rochester HD of Rochester, NH. They have the Motorcycle Value Program (MVP). I think I paid $60.00 to join. I get an automatic 15% discount and free shipping to my house. I also get another 5% off because I bought a used bike from them for an automatic 20% off and I just ordered a new bike so that will be an additional 5 - 10% off.

I also find what I want on line, call them, and tell them what I want, who has it, and what they want for it. They have never failed to beat an online price for a new HD part even if it is on e-bay.

You might check with Rochester HD of Rochester, NH. They have the Motorcycle Value Program (MVP). I think I paid $60.00 to join. I get an automatic 15% discount and free shipping to my house. I also get another 5% off because I bought a used bike from them for an automatic 20% off and I just ordered a new bike so that will be an additional 5 - 10% off.

I also find what I want on line, call them, and tell them what I want, who has it, and what they want for it. They have never failed to beat an online price for a new HD part even if it is on e-bay.

I hope that a lot of dealers read this forum. Like was said before the internet is readily available, and the dealers cannot depend on customers to forgo a better price just because the dealers are local.

i stay away from the stealerships , i go to my local guy he orders from one of his catologs , do it by 2 oclock in the afternoon and u have it the next day , cash is king ,no shipping or tax

I can tell you this, since I bought my bike at another dealer I have spent all my money at Zannottis for they are a great bike shop. I would highly recommend mail order with them.

Back