free website stats program Big Decision This Weekend - Buy New/Used? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Big Decision This Weekend - Buy New/Used?

Funny how that color thing gets you.....I was looking for a bike the color of Gliders.......never gave orange a thought, but once a bike talks to you, it's over, you're going home with it....:bigsmiley20:

Boy, isn't that the truth!

I never in a million years would I have thought that I would be buying the Suede Blue/ Black combo...In fact, I would have bet a hundred bucks before I went to the dealership that I wouldn't have liked the color :D

But I did :)

Cheers,

Bill

Congrats Billua -

Good choice, I've always been partial to the Heritage as well. All my buddies were trying to get me to go with the EG or Ultra. But I stuck to what I liked, so I'm the only softail running with 6 Baggers.

Enjoy it and be safe. :bigsmiley8:

Thanks! May we all ride safe!

Cheers!

And the used bike I bought is MY bike now! Try to tell me different, I've got a title that has MY name on it. The things that were on it were things I would have put on anyway. I've added the additional things I wanted. It is MY bike and it is the way I want it. I really don't get it. You guys are willing to spend thousands of dollars extra so you can say your bike was new? There are so many slightly used bikes that are as good as new bikes going for thousands of dollars less.

Doolittle, it is your money to save or spend, but since you asked...

The reason I say it that way is this is the only thing in my life that I have ever owned, brand new that nobody else has driven broke in. Thats all I am saying by no means should anyone put their credit at risk by over doing it. There is nothing wrong with a used bike:hii

The reason I say it that way is this is the only thing in my life that I have ever owned, brand new that nobody else has driven broke in. Thats all I am saying by no means should anyone put their credit at risk by over doing it. There is nothing wrong with a used bike:hii

That's Cool! It is easy for everyone to suggest he go with a new bike (I seem to be the only one saying otherwise), but it is his money and he needs to decide if he wants to spend more for the feeling he will have knowing it is new. I considered a new bike too, but when I saw the slightly used bikes that were available that look as good as a new bike, I couldn't bring myself to spending thousands of dollars more. The last two cars I bought have been slightly used and I've saved a lot of money with them too. I drive a Lexus that I bought that came off a lease. I could afford it that way but I wouldn't have been able to buy it new. I have this great car that drives so smooth and quiet and is so comfortable that I otherwise wouldn't have if I didn't buy it used. I got an extended warranty so I have the peace of mind that a new car warranty gives you. I'll probably extend my bike warranty as well.

Weather's forecast to be mid 50's Saturday and I've made arrangements to demo ride four models back to back at a local dealer. I'm excited but a little apprehensive too. I've done a lot of research to "narrow" it down to these four models but now I've just got to ride them same day/same roads and make my decision.

Here's my dilemma. I just know the salesperson is going to be making the high pressure pitch to buy something. I can already hear it - "What's it going to take to get you riding home on that beautiful 2008 (fill in the blank) today?"

I have the money available for a cash purchase, even on a new '08 but I keep getting drawn back to how much I could save buying used. As an example, a new 2008 Road King out the door is going to be around $20,000. There are currently several '07 RK's on Ebay within 500 miles of me with Buy It Now prices under $17,000, less than 5000 miles, factory warranty remaining, and most already have new seat/passenger backrest/or other items I'm considering adding myself.

So, what am I missing here? Are throttle-by-wire/6 gallon tank/ABS(maybe)/one more year of warranty worth $3000?
I keep going back and forth on this so I'm really looking forward to everyone's input. I really do value your opinions guys and gals!!

Here is a nice one. Maybe you can make an offer less than $17,500.

eBay Motors: Harley-Davidson : Touring (item 270212768025 end time Feb-24-08 10:44:00 PST)

I agree, here's my advice, go with what you like the best. I was sitting on a brand new deuce, blue of course, I could have got it, but I kept looking at the used orange & cream bike beside it.....I decided to go over and sit on it, and once I did, it was over, the orange bike was going to be mine. I still look at blue bikes and think of how nice they look, but I do not regret getting the bike I got. I hope you had good luck today on the test rides. It seems like when you find the right bike, you will know it, that's what I'm finding out from reading around here. :))

Well, here's how it went, for those of you still following this thread. I'd narrowed my 5 candidate bikes down to 2 - Road King and Street Glide. Talked pros and cons with the salesman for about 30 minutes, then rode each one for about 30 minutes over twisty roads, bumps, railroad tracks, parking lots and freeways. It was really, really close but I went with, drumroll please:

2008 STREET GLIDE !!!!!

I know I could have found an 07 cheaper but then I would have had the hassle of selling my bike - they really came up on my trade in and threw some extras in since they wouldn't budge on the bike's MSRP. I know I'm not the shrewdest negotiator in the world but bottom line is - I'm thrilled and I get to go get my bike with accessories installed tomorrow afternoon and bring it to its new home!

Well, here's how it went, for those of you still following this thread. I'd narrowed my 5 candidate bikes down to 2 - Road King and Street Glide. Talked pros and cons with the salesman for about 30 minutes, then rode each one for about 30 minutes over twisty roads, bumps, railroad tracks, parking lots and freeways. It was really, really close but I went with, drumroll please:

2008 STREET GLIDE !!!!!

I know I could have found an 07 cheaper but then I would have had the hassle of selling my bike - they really came up on my trade in and threw some extras in since they wouldn't budge on the bike's MSRP. I know I'm not the shrewdest negotiator in the world but bottom line is - I'm thrilled and I get to go get my bike with accessories installed tomorrow afternoon and bring it to its new home!

Dr, Congrats!!! You will not be sorry.

Street Glide is a beautiful machine.

Having taken my first real cruise today on my 08 FLSTC, I can tell you that these bikes are a dream to ride! Harley has done a magnificent job with the bikes. My 08 rides like a dream!

I am sure you will be equally impressed!

The coolest is to be cruising a 65mph and slipping it into 6th...I swear, a get a little grin on my face every time I do that...

I only have 65 miles on my bike, but I can tell you it is the finest bike I have ever ridden in 37 years of riding motorcycles...And I don't say that casually..

Enjoy my friend, you made a great choice and will be rewarded with a magnificent machine.

Cheers!

It's your bike and it was your decision.
You got something to be proud of man. I'm sure you will enjoy every moment of it.

Back