free website stats program Big Decision This Weekend - Buy New/Used? | Harley Davidson Forums

Big Decision This Weekend - Buy New/Used?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Weather's forecast to be mid 50's Saturday and I've made arrangements to demo ride four models back to back at a local dealer. I'm excited but a little apprehensive too. I've done a lot of research to "narrow" it down to these four models but now I've just got to ride them same day/same roads and make my decision.

Here's my dilemma. I just know the salesperson is going to be making the high pressure pitch to buy something. I can already hear it - "What's it going to take to get you riding home on that beautiful 2008 (fill in the blank) today?"

I have the money available for a cash purchase, even on a new '08 but I keep getting drawn back to how much I could save buying used. As an example, a new 2008 Road King out the door is going to be around $20,000. There are currently several '07 RK's on Ebay within 500 miles of me with Buy It Now prices under $17,000, less than 5000 miles, factory warranty remaining, and most already have new seat/passenger backrest/or other items I'm considering adding myself.

So, what am I missing here? Are throttle-by-wire/6 gallon tank/ABS(maybe)/one more year of warranty worth $3000?
I keep going back and forth on this so I'm really looking forward to everyone's input. I really do value your opinions guys and gals!!

I was in the same position last year and I went with new. As I slowly add parts and upgrades the bike becomes more of an extension of my personality and character. I get about 300 km per tank which gives me more leeway in planning my ride, the larger tank would be a benefit. It's all based on personal preference and as to dependability on new components, the warranty is there. A bike is usually a long term investment and will be part of you for years to come. Whatever you do it will become your ride.

Last edited:
If you can handle it ...I would go new. Build your dream machine ...not someone else's dream ...What I'm saying is: you have your idea how you want your bike to look...and of course looking at other bikes gives you ideas..but still in the end ..it will be yours...your personality...your dream...and what ever you decide ..Good Luck to ya......JMO !..Oh ! Dude ...one other thing and probably most important...get your wife involved.:bigsmiley28:

my opinion... i recently had a chance to ride a new '08 with fly-by-wire and abs. it was the first time since i got mine ('04), that i would seriously think about looking at a new bike...

guess what i'm saying is if i was in the market for another bike, it would certainly be an '08 over an '07. in fact, i would pass on an '07 and keep my current bike.

I'm going to suggest going used because that is what I did. You save a bunch of bucks! I found my 2006 Ultra on E-Bay and it was just about 45 minutes away so I could see it before I bought it. I paid $15,800 for a bike that went for $22,000 just 1 1/2 years and 7200 miles ago. As you stated, you can find a bunch on EBay and they all look great. People take great care of Harleys. Some of them are ever hardly driven. A lot of them don't have a lot of extras on them so you still can build your own bike with the stuff that will make it your's. Since I've bought my bike I've tracked some of the recent sales on Ebay and I've seen two 2006 Ultras go for less than mine and they had less miles. One was for $15,000 and the other was $15,100. I also saw a 2007 Ultra go for $17,500 (about 3K miles). Save some bucks and use the savings to add some stuff. I did and put $1,500 worth of stuff the week after I bought it. Another thing, it isn't too late to get an extended warrant from Harley as long as you get it before the existing factory warranty expires. I can extend my 2006 Ultra warranty as long as I get with Harley before my two years are up.

I'm going to suggest going used because that is what I did. You save a bunch of bucks! I found my 2006 Ultra on E-Bay and it was just about 45 minutes away so I could see it before I bought it. I paid $15,800 for a bike that went for $22,000 just 1 1/2 years and 7200 miles ago. As you stated, you can find a bunch on EBay and they all look great. People take great care of Harleys. Some of them are ever hardly driven. A lot of them don't have a lot of extras on them so you still can build your own bike with the stuff that will make it your's. Since I've bought my bike I've tracked some of the recent sales on Ebay and I've seen two 2006 Ultras go for less than mine and they had less miles. One was for $15,000 and the other was $15,100. I also saw a 2007 Ultra go for $17,500 (about 3K miles). Save some bucks and use the savings to add some stuff. I did and put $1,500 worth of stuff the week after I bought it. Another thing, it isn't too late to get an extended warrant from Harley as long as you get it before the existing factory warranty expires. I can extend my 2006 Ultra warranty as long as I get with Harley before my two years are up.

Well good points there as well..Hmm now I'm confused and I owe one...lol:D

Smitty, even though I bought it on Ebay I still have a dealer that is backing me up. Even though the dealer didn't sell it to me he still will honor the factory warranty. When I took my bike in to the dealership they treated me as well as anyone that bought a bike there. They know that I am still a customer and have money they want. I need them for service and they need my money. They did the service I needed and then spent a least another hour or more answering my questions. They couldn't have been more friendly! Since it was cold at the time I had to pick the bike up from the previous owner, the dealership picked it up for me with a trailer. The fact is that I saved a bunch of money on the purchase of the bike and I still get the service that I'd get if I had bought it at the dealership.

If you can afford it and you are ready to buy, then go for new. You won't regret it. Yes, it will cost more, but it will 100% new, never dropped etc. I was in the same position, and decided to go for new. If you buy used, chances are a few years down the road you will be looking at a new one. Life is short and comes with no guarantees, treat yourself, go for it.

If you can afford it and you are ready to buy, then go for new. You won't regret it. Yes, it will cost more, but it will 100% new, never dropped etc. I was in the same position, and decided to go for new. If you buy used, chances are a few years down the road you will be looking at a new one. Life is short and comes with no guarantees, treat yourself, go for it.

I like the way you think! If I give you my wife's phone number will you call her and repeat all of the above?!?!

If you can handle it ...I would go new. Build your dream machine ...not someone else's dream ...What I'm saying is: you have your idea how you want your bike to look...and of course looking at other bikes gives you ideas..but still in the end ..it will be yours...your personality...your dream...and what ever you decide ..Good Luck to ya......JMO !..Oh ! Dude ...one other thing and probably most important...get your wife involved.:bigsmiley28:

Wow are you ever correct. Just spent 10 or 15 minutes showing her pictures/specs of the four models I'm considering off the HD website and now I can eliminate one of them. I won't say which one to spare everyone's feelings but when the picture came up, she blurted out, "that one looks wierd, don't really like it." Now what would the chances of a harmonious marriage be if I went out and got that model?

Back