free website stats program Another Biker hit | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Biker hit

I'm happy you will be well in time. It's too bad something as enjoyable as riding becomes dangerous and worries our families....most always due to someone else's lack of attention. Best to you.
Ishmael

Really glad you didn't come out of this any worse than you did. As many have said, I admire your desire to honor your family's wishes and think about not replacing the bike. Probably one of the hardest decisions any of us will make after being involved in something like this or seeing it happen.

Couple things I took from your story:

1. Importance of wearing a helmet
2. Loud pipes don't help with opposite direction traffic. In fact, it's debatable how much they help at all with drivers as distracted as we've discussed here many times.

I know both of these points are highly controversial and I'm certainly not trying to hijack the thread - just my opinion that these points both jumped out at me as being pretty obvious in this incident.

Thank goodness you are OK. I had to do the same thing, give up the bike for a while fro my family. Hope it is not as long as I had to: 20 years.

So what happened to the person who hit you? Just a ticket for failure to yield? Did they check cell phone records? If she was on, she should be in jail.

Absolutely correct!! I know several times that what I have read here in this forum has saved me some pain and aggravation. I read this forum almost every day and I learn something every time. The thread about what happens when you rear tire goes flat is a thing I have had on my mind for a while. I would like to hear from someone who has had a tire blow out. Again, thanks for the posts. Rollo

Very glad to hear you came out as good as you did. Time will tell if you get back in the wind or not.

A big fire truck with lights/siren/horns going full blast, passed me going the opposite way on a 2 lane road today. I slowed and pulled to the right, then looked in my mirror before resuming speed. Yep,, car behind me did a left turn in front of the fire truck. No accident, but it looked close.

So glad you are alright,understand your family's concern.Even if you give up riding please stay in touch on the forum as i do not remember seeing anything that said you had to own a HD to be a part of this wonderfull family.

Thanks all for your responses and concern. Once I get through the worst of this the real healing process can start. Very emotional situation as all my kids are teens and yes they do love their Dad and respected his wishes with the Harley. So that being said I need to do the same for them until they are grown. This event just made me realize how big of a role I haved and do play in their lives.
As for the person that hit me I do not know their fate other than they have to live with what they have done. I know she was cited for "Failure to Yield". Not sure how much further this will go.

Thanks all for your responses and concern. Once I get through the worst of this the real healing process can start. Very emotional situation as all my kids are teens and yes they do love their Dad and respected his wishes with the Harley. So that being said I need to do the same for them until they are grown. This event just made me realize how big of a role I haved and do play in their lives.
As for the person that hit me I do not know their fate other than they have to live with what they have done. I know she was cited for "Failure to Yield". Not sure how much further this will go.
And if you were laid up for months at a time with very serious injuries all she gets is "failure to yield" ? It makes me so mad it gets my blood boiling!
The good Lord was with you on that day! Thank goodness you came out of it okay!
We ride because we love to, and then one day when something as unfortunate as what happened to you happens to us, we put life into perspective and make decisions that we ignored when all was well.

I'm glad your alright. I do have to say that everyday i'm on my bike and i do mean everyday i have to have eyes all around me because i have close calls almost once every week. I have certain routes i will take when going some where because of traffic conjestion.and it's the safest way for me. Stay alert, stay alive.

Davo, glad to hear you are ok. You'll know if you should get another one or not. Until then love the family that loves you. God speed on the healing.

Back