free website stats program American made??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

American made???

The government sold us out years ago with unfair import/export taxes. In the 70's when Japan was shipping over bikes by the hundreds of thousands they had no heavy tax import penalty on their bikes. Japan's biggest bikes sold for less than half of a big Harley here. But, in Japan a Harley sold for $50,000 because of the import tax Japan placed on them. Needless to say the fairness was one sided. So, Harley Motor company was forced to sue in court. The end result was that since Harley made big road bikes that anything imported over 700 CC would have a higher import tax. It amounted to about $300. But, Japan skipped by it for a while by building 699 CC motorcycles. As the demand for bigger and bigger bikes took effect Japan skated past the tax by shipping the bikes over in parts and did the assembly here in the USA.

We lost just about all of our industries here years ago. Not 100% but close. We lost the major steel industry, textile, electronics, lumber, now we are losing automobile, chemical industries, and high tech services.

A friend from the north came down south looking for a job. He had ran boilers for a lumber mill but the mill shut down because the Japanese were buying the timber and taking it out on big ships and processing it into lumber and plywood and selling it to us cheaper than our mills could sell it.

What president from the past said he envisioned the USA heading towards a high tech service nature? Let the other countries have the labor jobs. Well, as you can see anytime you call for tech support you usually get a broken English voice from India.

We are losing our chemical industry jobs to over sea locations. But it's not the CEO's fault. He has to answer to stock holders and if the billions of pounds can be produced for 40 cents a pound cheaper on foreign soil the only right decision for him is to go with it. It's the government's fault that the right decision is building overseas. If they taxed the crap out of that decision the right decision would be to build and thrive here like in the 70's and 80's instead of giving the jobs to third world countries who don't have the environmental rules and safety policies which we do here which makes it hard to compete.

I could rave on for a long time but I'll stop. All I can say is that if you think you can be patriotic and only buy USA made and produced goods/materials you will find it very hard to do. And it will come at a price. It's hard to explain to the family that you can't have any electronics in your house because NONE are produced here and have to wear potato sacks because few clothes are made here and the ones that say they are are usually made with imported cloth.

There is no easy answers from where we got ourselves now thanks to our government. But I guess buying from a company where the profit from the finished product goes to a USA company is better than every dollar going over seas even if we buy some of the material and hardware from foreign soil. These days buying American is simply saying the profit from the end product goes to an American (USA) company. That's about as patriotic as you can be these days.

But I guess buying from a company where the profit from the finished product goes to a USA company is better than every dollar going over seas even if we buy some of the material and hardware from foreign soil. These days buying American is simply saying the profit from the end product goes to an American (USA) company. That's about as patriotic as you can be these days.[/QUOTE]

I guess I might agree with you if those profits were going to stabilize employment here in the U.S. but I have a feeling most of those profits are going to the CEO's as bonuses for cutting coat by shipping jobs overseas.
And they are using them to buy multi million dollor houses and for making payments on their nice big yahts and private jets.

But I'm no genius, I could be way base here.

We really need to blame more than government. We need to include our legal system. Being the most litigous society in the world, we all pay for those multi-million dollar jury awards for spilling hot coffee in our laps, or cutting our fingers off for reaching under a running lawnmower. The cost of defending these suits, increased insurance premiums, and increased cost of production to put on warning stickers (i.e. Warning-Hot Contents on a coffee cup) all add to the bottom-line cost of goods. Othe countries don't have those costs to pass on, and don't have to worry as much about being sued by employees, so their cost of production is less. Lower cost of production means lower sales prices.

Keep buying those Hondas and Toyotas and all those other import pieces of crap and put them in your driveways and don't forget to fly OLD GLORY beside them

When possible I still TRY to buy stuff made in the USA, in WW2, BMW,Kawaski,Mitsibish, and a host of other JAP and Kraut companies made weapon systems that killed a lot of Americans......I won't buy there stuff now, or ever............sorry if the fact this is not PC offends you............

You are right racklefratz. And you are talking to one who has taken one for the patriotic team all his life. I still have the patriotic spirit and until my wife's newest vehicle have bought American all my life. If it wasn't for the fricked up American justice system and ridiculous unfair one sided judgment on child support I might have been willing to pay a little more for a less reliable American vehicle. But for now I am forced to make the best decision for what I have to work with even if it's buying a foreign cage that has a reputation of lasting longer.

That doesn't mean that when it comes to touring motorcycles it is the same situation. I've owned all the major brands over the years. I've been stranded 2000 miles from home being told that the failed electronic Honda module would be three weeks delivery from Japan. I've had the parts failure in all import brands and know that anything mechanical is eventually going to break and fail. What I know today is that Harley has more dealerships, more stocked parts, more ability to get me back on the road immediately than any other brand out there and for once Harley is the best touring bike out there for the USA tourer. It's no surprise to me or coincidence that out of a hundred invited bikes for the 10,000 mile Iron Man run the top 3 BMW bikes had shaft drive failure. There is no bike on the face of the planet that I'd rather be on touring this country coast to coast year after year than a Harley Davidson. The simplicity is part of the draw of Harley for me. I really hate to see the trend to more electronics because of the failure rate but for now and I suppose for the rest of my life the carbureted Road King I own will last me for the rest of my life and in lots of ways I am glad to have purchased the last bike I will own. It has the nostalgia plus a sentimental value and dependable touring quality that the newest and future bikes just don't convince me of right now.

You know, I am getting kinda tired of my posts waiting to be approved by a moderator. If there is such paranoia on this board maybe it is not where I want to be posting anyway. I am not one who has ever been left shaking with fear that someone might say something that I don't approve of. bahaha

You know, I am getting kinda tired of my posts waiting to be approved by a moderator. If there is such paranoia on this board maybe it is not where I want to be posting anyway. I am not one who has ever been left shaking with fear that someone might say something that I don't approve of. bahaha

I feel for you man. No one flies the stars and stripes higer than I do and I believe in freedom of speach. On the other hand, it's easy to forget adults dominate this site, but there are younger riders on here too and I've seen un-moderated sites,, you soon have nudity, adult links and language that I would not want my child to see. There are plenty of sites for that, so I take the moderators as an evil necessity here. Hope you continue to post and express you views, peace out.

I feel for you man. No one flies the stars and stripes higer than I do and I believe in freedom of speach. On the other hand, it's easy to forget adults dominate this site, but there are younger riders on here too and I've seen un-moderated sites,, you soon have nudity, adult links and language that I would not want my child to see. There are plenty of sites for that, so I take the moderators as an evil necessity here. Hope you continue to post and express you views, peace out.

Thanks for that bikermonkey and I agree with you there, Ive seen it on other sites also.

FifthGear

We have auto censors here on HDT and some key words are picked up and entered into the system.It could be something as simple as another members name like in your post.
It takes a moderator to approve that post which usually happens without much time elapsed.
We try not to inconvenience anyone here with a post that goes unmoderated but sometimes due to who's on the forum (mods) at the time, it can take a while to approve a post. We all try to do our best and what I would suggest is to be patient and enjoy yourself here.
After posting a while you'll probably find that your posts will post as soon as you type them all.

In the meantime, enjoy yourself, life's too short to be upset about something so small.

P.S. I had to approve one of my posts a while back also.:hii
It's a safety valve so to speak to keep the unwanted posts off the forum.

glider

Back