free website stats program Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles?

Hang in there, a solution will present itself. I too prefer the dyna models, I wish I would of waited before I paid a thousand Over book price on a used dyna. Good luck to you.
What year and model did you buy? I'm also sorta interested in an 08 white Low Rider, but they're asking $2,800 over book value. The bike is showroom with 3,000 miles.

I'm looking for a Dyna with Screaming Eagle slip ons. No other modifications.

I want a Dyna, they're my favorite. I want it with Screaming Eagle slip ons, no other mods. I'm not sure if I should buy an older EVO or a newer Twin Cam 96? Some say the 96 runs too hot. Some say if I buy an
EVO I'll be wrenching all the time, but it's a great engine. I've been saving for a long time and have enough for
a 4-5 year old Dyna.

I wouldn't worry about running hot in Canada. I never had a problem in southern states or Venezuela now back in Canada just trying to stay warm. Lol.

I wouldn't worry about running hot in Canada. I never had a problem in southern states or Venezuela now back in Canada just trying to stay warm. Lol.

That's good to know the 96 wont be running hot in Canada. What about issues with cam tensioner shoes, or
has that been sorted? Thanks.

2008 EG 30,000 miles all original except Inner Primary Bearing. So in my case the answer is yes to sorted.

That's good to know the 96 wont be running hot in Canada. What about issues with cam tensioner shoes, or

my 05 roadking needed the tensioners changed at 18000 miles and i only checked them because i was headed to saltspring to meet up with the rest of the old guys (i was the young one) and Jack suggested i get them looked at....they were gone and needed to be replaced...then again a friend has a Dyna and he didn't replace his until after 36000 so if i was to buy another bike within the years of the cam tensioner debate i would only buy one if they were changed out (and seen the receipt) and not by just being replaced by more plastic.

these guys here can help you a lot as they have helped me over the years...many are very good friends even if they don't know how to use a camera (stick around and you will know why i said that)

why a Dyna have you ridden one? for short hops the best bike i ever had was a 98 Softail custom !!! but i think the shovel will prevail (it is just a small island)

The 96 had been upgraded to the hydraulic type tensioners, they still need to be checked tho can usually be run longer than the spring type in the 88 engines see # 33 and 34 below
HD07FXD006.gif

my 05 roadking needed the tensioners changed at 18000 miles and i only checked them because i was headed to saltspring to meet up with the rest of the old guys (i was the young one) and Jack suggested i get them looked at....they were gone and needed to be replaced...then again a friend has a Dyna and he didn't replace his until after 36000 so if i was to buy another bike within the years of the cam tensioner debate i would only buy one if they were changed out (and seen the receipt) and not by just being replaced by more plastic.

these guys here can help you a lot as they have helped me over the years...many are very good friends even if they don't know how to use a camera (stick around and you will know why i said that)

why a Dyna have you ridden one? for short hops the best bike i ever had was a 98 Softail custom !!! but i think the shovel will prevail (it is just a small island)

You said, "Why a Dyna? Have you ridden one?" Yes I had a mint one, a '98, with low miles a couple of years ago, but sold it. I noticed you mentioned your '98 Softail. Did you like it also because of the engine? I've never ridden a Softail. I've just read that Dynas handle nice.

1998 Harley-Dyna picture.JPG

Sorry for the delay WildWill, I bought a 2004 dyna fuel injected with 17k miles. Then after inspecting the tensioner's at 20k, I replaced them with the new style setup. Since then just routine maintenance items.

Sorry for the delay WildWill, I bought a 2004 dyna fuel injected with 17k miles. Then after inspecting the tensioner's at 20k, I replaced them with the new style setup. Since then just routine maintenance items.
What years do you think are affected by the cam tensioner issues? How much $ is the fix? Thanks.

They were 99-05 dynas. 06 and up dynas have the new set up. Good news is that if you buy a low mileage dyna from those years, you'll be paying for the new style eventually. I was lucky, my dealer offered a discount during the winter months. It still cost 900 dollars. That included new inner bearings and new rocker box gaskets, which were leaking anyway. She's all good now. Just gas and go.

Back