free website stats program Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles?

As we say with the buckets you have to choose from at non HD dealers and the ridiculous inflated prices, your safest bet may just be a HD dealer. Because there is nothing worse than buying your dream bike only to have a bucket or pile of junk and you are soured for good. So make your first Harley purchase the best one that you can so you can concentrate your focus on riding and enjoying the character and charm of a Harley and not constantly wrenching and wishing you had purchased a Metric cruiser.

I've heard said that the Harley dealers stand behind their used bikes. But what actually do they do with the trade ins that come in? What kind of warranty do they offer on used bikes?

I have purchased all my bikes from very small independent shops the sort of place that has at most 5 bikes for sale I have always bid the asking price down and all were sold as seen therefore no warranty
Using this way of buying you save on the purchase price and have money left over for the tools and parts to fix whatever you find is wrong with the bike
I would buy from a private seller if the right bike at the right price became available
I am willing to travel as I got dyna 500 miles away sight unseen off the internet on the understanding it would be supplied with a new MOT (UK road worthiness inspection) much lower price than in this part of the country even if I found one for sale
Many choices of how to buy a bike if it was a car I buy used from local ford dealer comes with 1 year warranty but I will move on after a few years bikes I keep and love for many years

Brian

Something else you may want to check if you decide to go forward with the bike. If the damage was severe enough it could have a salvaged title.
If that's the case you'll never resell it.

If you plan to flip this bike you will have to buy it @ the right price. I duuno how Canada works on wrecked bikes as far as the title goes, you may want to check that too, it could be a drawback JMO

If you plan to flip this bike you will have to buy it @ the right price. I duuno how Canada works on wrecked bikes as far as the title goes, you may want to check that too, it could be a drawback JMO

I don't want to buy because I think the bike could have 137,000 miles because of the worn switches for the signals, horn, starter, etc,...

I don't want to buy because I think the bike could have 137,000 miles because of the worn switches for the signals, horn, starter, etc,...

I think the worn switches would be the least of your problems.
Just to compare mine has 46,000 miles and my switches look like new.

The salesman did offer me 30 days on the phone a few days ago. Like I said it was odd the switches? Could the odometer have gone around? Like I said, if I bought it how would I ever sell it?
The older style switches were poor by modern standards, too much sun and not etched deep enough caused them to fade

What are you looking for in a bike?
I'm looking for a Dyna with Screaming Eagle slip ons. No other modifications.
What are you looking for in a bike?
I want a Dyna, they're my favorite. I want it with Screaming Eagle slip ons, no other mods. I'm not sure if I should buy an older EVO or a newer Twin Cam 96? Some say the 96 runs too hot. Some say if I buy an
EVO I'll be wrenching all the time, but it's a great engine. I've been saving for a long time and have enough for
a 4-5 year old Dyna.

Hang in there, a solution will present itself. I too prefer the dyna models, I wish I would of waited before I paid a thousand Over book price on a used dyna. Good luck to you.

Back