free website stats program ABS bypass fitting | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS bypass fitting

Thanks guys, I guess I will never know if I like ABS on a Harley or not as I will probably never own a Harley with ABS brakes.:eek: My BMW R9T is equipped with ABS but is being a much lighter bike, I don't seem to use the brakes as much and rely much more on the tranny to run through the tight and twisty stuff. The only thing I don't like about the R9T brakes is the noise the ABS system makes when deployed.:confused:

" Why do you suppose the NHTSA has mandated installation in both tractors and semi-trailers of combination units as well as all automobiles? They work, folks."

Cars are operated by any idiot that can pass a simple test. Tractor/trailers can carry up to about twice their own weight in payload. Brakes big enough to stop them when loaded are very touchy when they are empty. When it comes to cars, it isn't that ABS is so good, it is that the drivers are so bad.

" Why do you suppose the NHTSA has mandated installation in both tractors and semi-trailers of combination units as well as all automobiles? They work, folks."

Cars are operated by any idiot that can pass a simple test. Tractor/trailers can carry up to about twice their own weight in payload. Brakes big enough to stop them when loaded are very touchy when they are empty. When it comes to cars, it isn't that ABS is so good, it is that the drivers are so bad.

ABS is designed to allow you to steer away / clear of what you are going to hit. The issue is that target fixation occurs and you end up hitting what ever it is anyways. I had a argument with a customer when ABS first came out that his ABS on a SUV, brakes were bad because he had to go off and down the side of road to prevent a accident. My reply was that if not for abs you would not have been able to steer to side of road to have more room to stop because you probably were going to fast not paying attention to stop on the road in the first place. Customer conceded and agreed.

". The best part of ABS is the fact you do not have to think. Just slam on the brakes and let the system take care of the rest. A easier way to disconnect is to install non ABS wheel bearings and case closed. But you will have a constant ABS fault light on dash and it may not pass state inspection."

Yikes! I hope you never ride a non ABS machine with the "just slam on the brakes" habit pattern reinforced over and over again. Changing to non ABS bearings, unplugging the sensor wires from the harness or pilling the fuse will all give you manual brakes UNTIL the ABS controller does its HYDRAULIC LOCK malfunction. Then you are without that brake or perhaps both brakes if it really isn't your day. DISABLING the system does NOT remove the BIG malfunction that has NHTSA interested. Only plumbing around the controller OR a redesigned controller will fix the hydraulic lock problem.

Thanks guys, I guess I will never know if I like ABS on a Harley or not as I will probably never own a Harley with ABS brakes.:eek: My BMW R9T is equipped with ABS but is being a much lighter bike, I don't seem to use the brakes as much and rely much more on the tranny to run through the tight and twisty stuff. The only thing I don't like about the R9T brakes is the noise the ABS system makes when deployed.:confused:
Some of the ABS pumps are pretty aggressive in sound, the first time I did brake repair on a car that had ABS, upon test drive I did not know the ABS was so touchy, when the pump kicked on I thought OH OH now what is wrong HAAAAAA

"I dunno about any valve, you could redo ALL the lines eliminating the module and BCM however you would be counter productive IMO, you could pull the ABS fuse, attatch it to a switch to turn the pump on and off also, but I am sure this would set a ABS light and MAYBE have to be reset by a dealer with a scanner, also if you are involved in a wreck and your insurance finds out you tampered with the ABS WELL I wont go there JMO"

Plumbing AROUND the ABS controller eliminates the hydraulic lock situation that the NTSB is starting to investigate on 08 through 11 production. There are several complaints in the forums every year about the lever or pedal moving just far enough to pressurize the line to the ABS unit and then no matter how hard it is pressed after that, it won't move-hydraulic lock. The fluid pressure STOPS at the ABS controller and no pressure is allowed to go to the caliper. The ONLY ABS malfunction that should be possible is a return to normal braking, NOT removing a brake from service. Very few have had the failure while riding, it is normally noticed prior to a ride but this has the potential to be a killer.
Im having the same problem with my 09 classic, is there a good final solution, or has HD gonna recall this BLATANT safety issue?

Just experienced to hydraulic lock ABS failure. Hit the back of a truck that pulled out in front of me with no room for evasive maneuvers. Grabed a handful of brake but the lever would not move. NO Brakes.
I've been riding for over 40 years. Inexperience not a factor. Harley blames it on lack of maintenance. I flush the brakes once a year. Twice what Harley calls for.
Wish I'd have known about this issue sooner. I would have redone the lines to eliminate the ABS before wrecking my bike.

Just experienced to hydraulic lock ABS failure. Hit the back of a truck that pulled out in front of me with no room for evasive maneuvers. Grabed a handful of brake but the lever would not move. NO Brakes.
I've been riding for over 40 years. Inexperience not a factor. Harley blames it on lack of maintenance. I flush the brakes once a year. Twice what Harley calls for.
Wish I'd have known about this issue sooner. I would have redone the lines to eliminate the ABS before wrecking my bike.

Did you change the brake fluid yourself? Without Harley's computer you can't pump fluid through the ABS module and whatever fluid is in it continues to age. You are the first one I have heard about having the malfunction happen during a ride, most find it when they first fire up to ride. Have you notified the NTSB? Harley will ignore this as long as they can. NTSB is looking into this problem but there is still no word about a safety related recall. More occurrences should continue to increase the NTSB's interest.

I just replaced a Hyd. unit(ABS) on a 2012 FLHTCU which had a locked up front master cylinder. I was able to pump fluid thru the unit with no problems. My buddy had brakes after that, spongy but worked, but took it to HD for the proper bleed with the Digital Tech. I could be wrong but I think the Digital Tech. pulses the 2 small pistons in the unit to get all the air out of it. That's my guess and don't know what else he Digital Tech. does. I took the old unit apart to see how it worked. Still have it.
tourbox

ABS is a tricky animal, just like a car NEVER push dirty fluid back up into the system, you CAN bleed via gravity unless you are empty on fluid

Back