free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

I can't check the run out but I can still inspect the tensioners....right? If they are good I won't worry about the run out.
Start with taking a look at the Primary cam chain tensinoner. If it looks good, you only spent 7 bucks on a cam cover gasket. If not pull the outer cam and crank gears and take a close look at the bushing for the pinion shaft in the cam support plate. I could see a pretty good gap between the bushing and the shaft on mine. I'm not sure if enough of there pinion shaft sticks out past the cam support plate to get measurement, but the H-D tech told me it's supposed to be checked with the support plate on. I don't buy it but that's what he said.
Keep in mind that I've had problems from early on with my Primary chain auto tensioner over tightening and my compensator kept coming loose, so I imagine those are also symptoms of bad crank run out also. After this I probably won't wait too long to open up the new motor and check run out. I have the quick install push rods sitting in my garage now since I didn't have to use them because there was no point in putting anything back together..

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 21
Spirit97,
Once you pull the cam cover off and remove the cams, do the lifters fall out from their bores or is there a lip or clip that retains them in the engine?

Spirit97,
Once you pull the cam cover off and remove the cams, do the lifters fall out from their bores or is there a lip or clip that retains them in the engine?

Lifters will fall there is a pin but it's only to keep the lifters from spinning in the bore
WAP.gif

WS97 Try to stay calm and collected on the outside but try to be as presistent as you can . TThey might give in and see the light. Techs these days have a problem if they can't plug in their computer and get a trouble code for diagnosing problems. Old school is getting far and inbetween. Hope things go your way.

Spirit97,

On the EVOs, the lifter blocks actually house the lifters. When the nose cone (cam cover) is removed, the outboard end of the cam shaft is unsupported and the lifters will drop through if the cam shaft is removed.

On the TCs the lifters are in the block and covered by the lifter covers. The nose cone (cam cover) is only a cover and does not support anything. The cam support plate holds the outboard end of the cam shafts.

Folks have made simple lifter supports out of the large binder clip handles. See here:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/1000/1748.pdf

This type of tool can be used for either engine.

TQ

Attachments

• Performer_RPM_Camshaft_Kit_1748.pdf
    407.2 KB · Views: 1
On the TCs the lifters are in the block and covered by the lifter covers. The nose cone (cam cover) is only a cover and does not support anything. The cam support plate holds the outboard end of the cam shafts.

TQ

That is a Great 5 page write up. Added bonus was the info on the oil pump/alignment/studs.

I now see that if the engine is still installed in the frame, there is no way around bolt cutting the push rods and having to use 2 piece adjustable pushrods.

Thanks for the Info.

Just some food for thought, I run 20/50 Quaker state and always have in my street bikes and when I did my 95 kit on my street bob at 20k my tensioners looked minty still, put gear drives in so don't have to worry about it anymore, had friends with alot less milage then me they also used mobil 1 syn and there's were messed up.

Just some food for thought, I run 20/50 Quaker state and always have in my street bikes and when I did my 95 kit on my street bob at 20k my tensioners looked minty still, put gear drives in so don't have to worry about it anymore, had friends with alot less milage then me they also used mobil 1 syn and there's were messed up.

Very Interesting. I am also running Dino oil in my crankcase. I will be curious to see how it pans out. Not running Quaker State but a similar 20-50 oil with a pinch of a special additive.
I had some major issues in the past using Mobile 1 automotive oils in some other engines (not HD) so I am back to Dino with this HD. Time will tell.

Back