free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

Latest Update: Harley Replaced the motor, Compensator, Primary Chain, Primary case bearings, and I think a couple other parts. The new motor is in, and I have the bike home. I had to pay the labor.
Sounds fair for a bike 1 1/2 years out of warranty right? Except one small little detail about the labor. The shop that replace the motor, witch is also the dealership that was supposed to fix the problem in the first place under warranty charged me for 16 hours. When they told me Harley was footing the bill for the motor and all related parts and I had to pay labor I was told that amounted to 1280 plus tax and Misc. shop supplies, "Do you wanna go ahead with it?" he asks I say "I guess I don't have much choice" I said. He says o.k. and they do the job.
I find out later from talking to other dealerships that the book price for a motor swap is 10 hours. Hmmm. So I ask when I get the bike, "So, can I ask why your charging me for 16 hours when I talked to 3 other dealerships and was told it was a 10 hour job?" He says "Well that's what we agreed on, Besides we put a lot of extra work into you bike. We even cleaned your oil tank." I asked "that took 6 hours?"
Anyway you get the picture, it went back and forth lick this for about 5 minutes and I finally said "What Ever" Gimme the bill. I paid it and they lost a customer and I'll spread the word.
I hope this is the end of an ongoing problem, because I have a 4 hour drive to the nearest dealership that isn't owned by the same CROOK!!.
On another note. My Hats (Doo Rag):D off to Harley and I say thank you to them for doing they're part in remedying this problem, It's just too bad that Crooked dealerships give them such a bad Wrap.

Windspirit97,

You are gonna have to find a good Indy there in Washington that you can trust to give you the straight scoop if you have something big to do in the future. The rest of the stuff you are just gonna have to do yourself if you want it done right!

TQ

I am glad to hear Harley at least took care of u give me a little faith in the company. And glad to hear u got your bike back . Be safe and enjoy the ride.

Dave

All in All I would say you came out very Good. When you think of it, 10 hours sure is not that much time to do a job like that. HD stood up to the plate which is 10 times more than a company like Yamaha would have done for you. I have been there and back with Yammy & I would not give you a dime for there warranty.

Now do me a favor. You have a Brand New Engine so please don't spin the Crank!:D

Your right to question the hours.
I know in the past I have had slightly higher labor because of mods I made to the bike more parts to remove in some cases hard to remove and more care needed.
Fair enough IMO. but 6 hours is a major difference.
The thing is I took them the bike with the pipes removed, the cam support plate removed and already inspected. I know they have to check the crank themselves and Harley their readings but that only should take 10 to 20 minutes. The Service manager told me it was a 16 hour job before they even started it so I said o.k. I just didn't know till the other day that the Book calls for 10 hours and they where adding 60% to the labor hours just for General purpose.
I could see an hour or 2 do to replacing primary bearings or putting some kind of extra work some where, but yeah, like you said 6 is pretty high

That is a Great 5 page write up. Added bonus was the info on the oil pump/alignment/studs.

I now see that if the engine is still installed in the frame, there is no way around bolt cutting the push rods and having to use 2 piece adjustable pushrods.

Thanks for the Info.

wrong ! dont have to cut nothing ,pull the tank {takes all about 5 minutes} then open up rocker box covers6 bolts then remove breather 2 bolts then 4 bolts to rockers out pops 2 push rods......

All in All I would say you came out very Good. When you think of it, 10 hours sure is not that much time to do a job like that. HD stood up to the plate which is 10 times more than a company like Yamaha would have done for you. I have been there and back with Yammy & I would not give you a dime for there warranty.

Now do me a favor. You have a Brand New Engine so please don't spin the Crank!:D

You might be right, 10 hours might not seem like enough time to do a job like that for you or me, but for some one who does it for a living it's a little bit different. With the right tools,equipment, experiance and know how things take a lot less time......Besides "they" came up with 10 hours for the book, not me.
The only reason I even questioned the hours was because I was told by other mechanics that there is no way it takes 16 hours to swap a motor.
One guy told me he could change the motor in 10 hours taking his time, and that I should call around to other Harley Shops and see if I could find out what the book time was and what they would charge so I did.

wrong ! dont have to cut nothing ,pull the tank {takes all about 5 minutes} then open up rocker box covers6 bolts then remove breather 2 bolts then 4 bolts to rockers out pops 2 push rods......

Rex, That's a Great tip. I thought there was no way around cutting them. Thanks!

Besides "they" came up with 10 hours for the book, not me.

Spirit, Oh your right. An extra 6 hours at $75/hour is $500. Anyway you look at it, that is a lot of money. I would feel the same way as you do if I was paying the bill. I was just trying to help you swallow the pill.

Back