free website stats program 2007 FB noise in 5th gear. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 FB noise in 5th gear.

I am new to the forum. I Just signed up to learn all I can about the Softail Harleys. Back in the day I owned a Honda then a BSA Chopper and then a 900 and 1000 Sportster.

I recently ordered an 07 Herritage Softail. I just learned about 5th gear and over heating problems with the 07's from this Forum

Has anyone put substantial miles on an 07 yet ? If so, are you finding any overheating and 5th gear problems?

Should I cancel the order and get an 06 or wait on the 08's?

FH
1badeye,
I have put over 11,000 miles on my 07 StreetGlide, never had an overheating problem and the occassional noise from trans would not make me consider getting rid of it. From what I've heard the isolation drive system will rid bike of most noise. :ap

I saw that baker has an upgrade for the 6 speed. looks like it replaces some bearings and a gear. Kinda spendy, but it is a Baker.http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6f/index.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARL...004QQitemZ140172244806QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Biggest thing there with the baker aside from the gear is the better trap door with better bearings (support). The problem as it is now with the HD unit is the flex in the trap door and poor quality bearings.

1badeye,
I have put over 11,000 miles on my 07 StreetGlide, never had an overheating problem and the occassional noise from trans would not make me consider getting rid of it. From what I've heard the isolation drive system will rid bike of most noise. :ap

You are absolutely correct when you say the IDS will rid the bike of the noises. It even diminished the 5 th gear whine to almost nothing, however the post by 1badeye is referring to a softail and there is no IDS for them as of now. Maybe in the future there will be one and everyone will be happy then.

My 2007 fxstb has the 5th gear noise as well. It is not as bad as it was, though. I've just turned 3000 miles and it seems to be calming down...No problems with overheating.

I am from Australia, I got myself a brand new 2007 softail (standard) 2 months ago. Apart from the great stuff, I've the 5th gear noise problem. It appears when the bike is in 5th gear, metal pieces are knocking heavily inside the engine but in 6th the noise disappear. Why 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th are ok but not 5th? Even the bike has clocked up 2000kms (1200miles) and after the first serice, the noise is still there.

Talked to the dealer, they said is a known problem but Harley can't rectify it. I am very disappointed about this ill professional conduct!

Got a second opinion from other experience motorcylce mechanics, they all said is gear box problems.

ainiyiwanbei
Howdy Mate"
I understand how you may feel. I'd be dissapointed too.
I live in Adelaide. I have read lots of complaints about the gear noise on the 5'th Gear. I have no such noises on my FXSTC 1996 Softail 5 speed. I will put my view bluntly" No one should have to put up with such annoying noises and Harley should have gotten their finger out of their B.d to get it right the first time. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind produce a Bike with a noise annoyingly noticable to most of the riders that have such a Bike? Not good PR for Harley Davidson. Especialy for a quality price, one expects a quality non annoying noisy Harley! Period!!

I waited to see how far this would go before someone spoke the bottom line, I read the whole post and no one ever cut to the chase.
Well here it is . Fifth gear in a Six speed Harley Davidson transmission is a STRAIGHT CUT GEAR. They whine & make noise, Live with it!! A top of the line gear lube like Mobile1 75w90 or 75w140, Spectro's 75w140 6 speed, Redline 75w140 or Lucas 75w140 will truly help by providing a real cushion between the gears where as 20w50 anything only acts as a lube, no cushioning.
The reason 5th is straight cut is to keep it from an early grave. 6th gear is direct drive no gear over drive or under drive. The most used and shifted into and out of gear is 5th so what to do to make it live? use the strongest gear tooth profile! Straight cut!

I HAD A 07 FXST I NEVER HEAR A NOISE IN 5 TH BUT MY BROTHER HAD THE SAME BIKE AND HE HAS IT MY NEW 08 FATBOY DOESNT HAve it either

I waited to see how far this would go before someone spoke the bottom line, I read the whole post and no one ever cut to the chase.
Well here it is . Fifth gear in a Six speed Harley Davidson transmission is a STRAIGHT CUT GEAR. They whine & make noise, Live with it!! A top of the line gear lube like Mobile1 75w90 or 75w140, Spectro's 75w140 6 speed, Redline 75w140 or Lucas 75w140 will truly help by providing a real cushion between the gears where as 20w50 anything only acts as a lube, no cushioning.
The reason 5th is straight cut is to keep it from an early grave. 6th gear is direct drive no gear over drive or under drive. The most used and shifted into and out of gear is 5th so what to do to make it live? use the strongest gear tooth profile! Straight cut!
This is why no one should "visit" any other sites!! The info. from here is excellent!!!!! Thanx to all who contribute!!!!! :ap:worthy:majesty

Well here it is . Fifth gear in a Six speed Harley Davidson transmission is a STRAIGHT CUT GEAR. They whine & make noise, Live with it!! A top of the line gear lube like Mobil1 75w90 or 75w140, Spectro's 75w140 6 speed, Redline 75w140 or Lucas 75w140 will truly help by providing a real cushion between the gears where as 20w50 anything only acts as a lube, no cushioning.

I hear what you are saying and being a brother from another mother, I'd like to throw in my .03 cents.:D

All this talk about the 6 speeds being noisy because of the straight cut first and fifth gears, bothers me. how many years has Harley had the 4 and 5 speeds with straight cut gears in all of them and not one I ever had or heard was as noisy as the 6 speed of the 07 bikes. My IDS took care of most of it to a point that you can barely detect it but why weren't the previous tran's noisy like the six speed is in fifth.
BIG difference and they were both the same cut gears. I blame it on poor design myself , bad manufacturing tolerences and flexing in the trap door, not to even mention about the tiny bearings and the plastic retainers in the 06's. Just under built IMO.

I hear what you are saying and being a brother from another mother, I'd like to throw in my .03 cents.:D

All this talk about the 6 speeds being noisy because of the straight cut first and fifth gears, bothers me. how many years has Harley had the 4 and 5 speeds with straight cut gears in all of them and not one I ever had or heard was as noisy as the 6 speed of the 07 bikes. My IDS took care of most of it to a point that you can barely detect it but why weren't the previous tran's noisy like the six speed is in fifth.
BIG difference and they were both the same cut gears. I blame it on poor design myself , bad manufacturing tolerences and flexing in the trap door, not to even mention about the tiny bearings and the plastic retainers in the 06's. Just under built IMO.

I blame it on the Quietness of today's Twin Cam Motors and everything else today.
Back in the good ol 4speed days the bikes made noise from everywhere and most people who rode Harleys excepted the noise with the vibes. Would you put up with your pretty 07 RKC shaking and rattling like a 70's FLH?
The Design is most definitely not the best, no dout it was designed for mass production at a price poit.
It isn't a Baker.
But it isn't weak either. The only thing I've done to any of mine is to have the gears and shafts of the trans in my 103 TiN coated. The only reason for that was help keep from chipping gear teeth when I speed shift without using the clutch. :D
Why does no one complain about a noisy 1st gear? I feel that it's because the bikes are being accelerated and making more engine noise which covers the whining from 1st. 5th sees more cruising than hard accelerating the engine is not making as much noise and the gear whine is easier to hear.
But that's just my not very politically correct opinion :D

Back