free website stats program 2007 FB noise in 5th gear. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 FB noise in 5th gear.

what happened? Did you shut me out of the thread? Everyone must agree with Glider or you don't post it?

Well hd dan,we never shut you or other members out from the thread.I believe not all readers agree with Gilder's posts,every person have an opinion,and we always respectful on every word.

I responded to Gliders attack on me twice and you didn't post it. If ya don't like the Harley noise get a HONDA.
Until now we never removed or FILTERING your response,just let you know every moderated post always have a note on it if we change the contents.If you said have made a response to Glider's attack twice,please let me know when you post the message,we try track all deleted message but we are not found your post from hd dan username?

Sometime we must deleted a members post because the contents break HDT Rules,but we always send notification to their PM or email and let them know with details deleted post.

This is open discussion forums,we dont judge who you are but we judge what you post here,all members may post their opinion freely and as long as all activity not violate HDT Rules,everything should be fine.

Hey Gider, Do you think that Harley would do a recall on the 5th gear niose on the 07 since they took care of it on the 08 ?? or would that just be a DREAM....., THX bb156

bb

I would like as well to see a recall for the noise but can you imagine the cost to the company to disassemble and replace parts in the transmission. I feel that the MOCO is more concerned about it's shareholders than it's customers that put them in the position that they are in .
I also think that is the main reason why some non safety issues are categorized as "enhancements" such as the IDS is that it gets them out of the responsibility of "making good" on a poor design.
From what I have heard about the Baker F6F kit, it will take care of the fifth gear whine but it comes at a healthy price.

Thanks for the reply Glider. My main question is , is it a safety issue-I mean is the gear box going to self destruct one day and put my bike into a skid at 5th gear speed? Or is it just a noise which I can live with? thx a lot

I don't feel that it will self destruct but I have no way of telling for sure. The way I see it is too much tolerance in the gear set cogs and other problems like under size shaft support bearings. plastic bearing retainers that allow movement in the boss and also some flexing in the trap door on the end of the transmission. Added together, they give the owner of the bike a less than perfect transmission with inherent problems like gear whine and clattering that I feel is a result of the longer stroke of the 96 ci in engine. Can we live with it? Good question. I found a solution with the IDS that I'm happy with so I guess I will live with it and hope for the best. Keep a check on the drain plug magnet and any particulate (non magnetic) in the trans oil when you drain it. That should give you an indication of something going wrong.

Simple as this Harley Davidson 6 speed transmissions cost $1800 and are designed to to live with about 110ft pounds of Torque. Baker 6 speeds start around $4000 and up and will handle 200ft - 400ft pounds of torque. you get what you pay for.
Other than the silly N light switch recall HD has had very little trouble from the new 6's even with all the "no shifting, no riding, spoilt 40+ year old kids riding now days.
I ride a 675lb 103ci 146hp 06 Dyna that runs 10.50's 130mph in a 1/4, it has 36,000 miles on the trans. I ran Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w 50 in it for 30,000 of those till Glider talked me in to Mobile1 70-90 gear oil. I have had 0 problems with it but it is quieter with the 70-90 oil.
Change your oil (all 3) often and watch for trash, use your clutch when you shift and the trans will last as long as you let it.

I ran Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w 50 in it for 30,000 of those till Glider talked me in to Mobile1 70-90 gear oil.

PC

What differences did you notice with the gear oil over the engine oil as far as shifting?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have one of the noisy ones. Hopefully they will make the IDS for the softails with the proper size pulley and you will be all set then.

Back