free website stats program 1997 road king Hey guys i got myself screwed up was hoping for advise and help. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 road king Hey guys i got myself screwed up was hoping for advise and help.

I reread your 1st post, and see that you have a pingle (good), now make sure there is no open vacuum ports on the manifold or carb (like oem carb'd bikes had for petcock). Then check that the carb is well seated in the manifold. If you don't have the air filter support holding it to the manifold it could be causing problems. Also make sure the manifold to heads seals are perfect. Idle screw should be 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. Did your f.i. model have a voes switch? It makes no difference on my '92 for idle, but could be a vac. problem. I'm just throwing things out to check/think. You have made a lot of progress keep plugging away at it.

Thank you for all this advice guys. I will def go over plugs and seems i was off on idle screw haha i was like 1-2 turns in instead of out. Yeah also will put carb bracket on to hold it and check seals..As soon as i get a day im gonna try it again

Checking in here. Havent done anything on bike. Weather changing here next few weeks gonna roll it out then and mess with it. I did find one more thing wrong,the mixer screw bottom of carb had metal washer ,no spring or rubber washer. I watched a rebuild video and spotted it. So i ordered new screw and hardware.First i thought was up in there but there was none. Looking forward to better weather ahead here in pgh.

Yeah no voes on it got one of those hooked up also. Im looking forward to this thing firing up better after all that i had wrong haha.bub bub bub bub bub im really wanting to ride this yr.2020 winter just dragged on and on

Last edited by a moderator:
For the OP.

Where did you get the carb? Used? New? CV40 or 44? Lots of Kiehin carbs floating around on Ebay. Are you sure the carb you have is a Kiehin made for Harley? If the carb was used and was not taken apart and thoroughly cleaned, it should have been. The needle jet holder/emulsion tube could be clogged, etc. If you are not sure, carb should be taken apart, every passage and orifice cleared, float level properly set and make sure that the A/F mixing screw rubber o-ring is not stuck in the threaded bore. Make sure the needle jet holder is not upside down and make sure there are no possible tears or holes in the diaphragm and it is properly seated under the cap. The jetting is close enough to start and run.

I suggest this in case the carb has not been thoroughly cleaned as it should be to eliminate it as a source of the problem.

Went over carb ,rebuilt it ,new everything. Took it out today fired right up,sounded good ,i was pretty exited to take it around the block,but.....then i noticed only front exaust is hot,feeling at rear of bike only front cylinder exaust is putting ou heat??Other exaust is coolto touch? Checked wires ,everytjing i can think of? Any ideas on this guys? Thanks

Is the pipe coming out of the rear head warm? If you have original exhaust most of the exhaust is going through the crossover pipe to the right muffler. The left acts as a scavenger

Yeah your right steve07 i feel kinda stupid there.Both are firing,prob just never noticed before the exhaust. And yes am using original stock exhaust. I think i may of made a bad buy on this carburetor. Ivevtried everything to get this bike running. Im thinking its carb. New ignition ,new battery,new plugs,new wires,new coil,same exaust. Im thinking must be this carburetor. I rebuilt it twice. Im waiting for new jets to come and figured maybe mess with the jet sizes. It idling rough no matter what i do,if i ride it ,once im giving it gas and into 2nd it runs great,but once back down around 10 mph or idling its like its out of timing.. All seals are tight,checked for leaks with a propane torch all around the carb and flanges. Ive heard that some older cv carbs are just junk and wore out.prob is...Now,do i buy another used carb? A new s&s (expensive for this old bike at this time)later if got it running good and was really wanting to upgrade..... They want like 180 for a used cv on ebay. 180 for another junk carb that needs rebuilt,rejetted,cleaned. What to do next??? Lol. I have a 45 jet in there now i do have a 48 here...maybe put that in tomorrow see what happens??? Its got a 190 in it also but that wouldnt effect idling or low speed right??? Thank everyone

The original air cleaner was for fitting efi so i have a big sucker on it now,so its getting more air ??? That really wouldnt be affecting it too much would it?? Orignal restricted eshaust with more air??? Im just thinking of stuff and info that may be of use to you guys helping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checking in. Still chilly here so will prob mess with it this next week. I bought a used cv off of a 98 road king cleaned it up ,rebuilt it and am gonna install it. Im convinced its the carb. I think the first one i purchased is a basket case. Cant figure whats wrong with it but im hoping by switching them ill be back on track

Back